Обсуждение: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harware version13

PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harware version13

От
nmmulla
Дата:
Hi,
We are upgrading our VMware version from 5.5 to 6.5.

Is PostgreSQL version 9.1 to 10.1 compatible on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and
harware version 13.

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harwareversion 13

От
nmmulla
Дата:
We are upgrading Vmware to version 6.5.

Operating system for virtual servers will not be changing. The other change
that will be happening is VM hardware version which will be upgraded from
current version ( 9 or 10) to version 13.

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harware version13

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 03/26/2018 07:03 AM, nmmulla wrote:
> We are upgrading Vmware to version 6.5.
>
> Operating system for virtual servers will not be changing. The other change
> that will be happening is VM hardware version which will be upgraded from
> current version ( 9 or 10) to version 13.

Your compatibility is based on the OS, not VMWare. As long as you are
using a PostgreSQL compatible OS you are fine.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harwareversion 13

От
nmmulla
Дата:
Thanks JD.

Like i said we are not changing OS at all. WE are just upgrading VMWare from
ESXi 5.5 to 6.5 and hardware from version 10 to 13.

We are using Linux 6, 7.

By just upgrading VMWare will it affects the performane of postgres
databases?

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harware version 13

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM, nmmulla <noor.mulla@teranet.ca> wrote:
Thanks JD.

Like i said we are not changing OS at all. WE are just upgrading VMWare from
ESXi 5.5 to 6.5 and hardware from version 10 to 13.

We are using Linux 6, 7.

By just upgrading VMWare will it affects the performane of postgres
databases?

You should probably ask this question on the VMWare forums since its their software that would or would not have the performance improvements.  PostgreSQL will benefit from any memory and disk-related virtualization enhancements that they made.  I would have to assume that the answer is a favorable yes.

David J.

Re: PostgreSQL version on VMware vSphere ESXI 6.5 and harwareversion 13

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:49:30PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> You should probably ask this question on the VMWare forums since its their
> software that would or would not have the performance improvements.
> PostgreSQL will benefit from any memory and disk-related virtualization
> enhancements that they made.  I would have to assume that the answer is a
> favorable yes.

(VMware human here).

Upgrading ESX or other VMware-related components has nothing to do with
PostgreSQL.  Some of the products may embed a version of PostgreSQL to
store some of their meta-data or other things, in which case the upgrade
to a newer PostgreSQL version, if need be, will be taken care of by the
product itself.  If you are using your own set of PostgreSQL instances,
then that's up to what you have at OS level.
--
Michael

Вложения