Обсуждение: Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SETSTATISTICS

Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SETSTATISTICS

От
Yugo Nagata
Дата:
Hi,

According to the syntax in ALTER INDEX doc, a column should be specified by
column number as discussed in [1]. However, the current code still allows to
use an internal column name like "expr". Is this intentional?

Although it is harmless, how about forbiding this undocumented and
unuseful behavior. The attached patch does it.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPpHfdsSYo6xpt0F%3DngAdqMPFJJhC7zApde9h1qwkdpHpwFisA%40mail.gmail.com

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>

Вложения

Re: Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SET STATISTICS

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> According to the syntax in ALTER INDEX doc, a column should be specified by
> column number as discussed in [1]. However, the current code still allows to
> use an internal column name like "expr". Is this intentional?
>
> Although it is harmless, how about forbiding this undocumented and
> unuseful behavior. The attached patch does it.

If it's harmless, why prohibit it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Forbid referencing columns by names in ALTER INDEX ... SETSTATISTICS

От
Yugo Nagata
Дата:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 10:26:13 -0400

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> > According to the syntax in ALTER INDEX doc, a column should be specified by
> > column number as discussed in [1]. However, the current code still allows to
> > use an internal column name like "expr". Is this intentional?
> >
> > Although it is harmless, how about forbiding this undocumented and
> > unuseful behavior. The attached patch does it.
>
> If it's harmless, why prohibit it?

I thought that we should prohibit it because this is not allowed
according to the documented syntax. However, don't we have to be
so rigorous about it?