Обсуждение: PgAdmin4 stopped working: "The application server could not becontacted."

PgAdmin4 stopped working: "The application server could not becontacted."

От
Johann Spies
Дата:
Apologies for the rant.

When will we have a pgadmin that just works?

I am on Debian Sid with a pgdg-installation (desktop) of pgadmin4.

Today I cannot use it: "The application server could not be contacted."

I have used it in the past with some frustration but it was usable.

Version: 3.3-1.pgdg100+1 - the latest available from pgdg.

I do not want to reconfigure everything every now and then.

I have used other tools like pgadmin3 (breaking from time to time,
but mostly working), omnidb-app which just works and Datagrip
(which I do not particularly like) which also do the job.

I sometimes just look for functionality available in pgadmin3 and
pgadmin4 that is not available in the others.

Unless the reliability of pgadmin4 improves a lot, I will probably, for
my own peace of mind, take a decision to not try it out again.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager        Faks: 021-883 3691

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

The integrity and confidentiality of this e-mail is governed by these terms / Die integriteit en vertroulikheid van
hierdiee-pos word deur die volgende bepalings gere��l. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer

Re: PgAdmin4 stopped working: "The application server could not be contacted."

От
Dave Page

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM, Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> wrote:
Apologies for the rant.

When will we have a pgadmin that just works?

I am on Debian Sid with a pgdg-installation (desktop) of pgadmin4.

Today I cannot use it: "The application server could not be contacted."

I have used it in the past with some frustration but it was usable.

Version: 3.3-1.pgdg100+1 - the latest available from pgdg.

I do not want to reconfigure everything every now and then.

I have used other tools like pgadmin3 (breaking from time to time,
but mostly working), omnidb-app which just works and Datagrip
(which I do not particularly like) which also do the job.

I sometimes just look for functionality available in pgadmin3 and
pgadmin4 that is not available in the others.

Unless the reliability of pgadmin4 improves a lot, I will probably, for
my own peace of mind, take a decision to not try it out again.

It does "just work" for the vast majority of users - and we'd love to figure out the cause of this problem for those few that are affected by it. Unfortunately it's proving quite elusive.

Can you provide logs? You may need to enable logging per https://www.pgadmin.org/faq/#8

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin4 stopped working: "The application server could not becontacted."

От
Johann Spies
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 09:05:37AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> Can you provide logs? You may need to enable logging per
> https://www.pgadmin.org/faq/#8.

The log is complaining about not being able to contact the server on
port 63334 (I am using a ssh tunnel not defined in pgadmin4).

The last part of the log:
2018-09-06 11:05:26,060: ERROR    pgadmin:    Could not connected to server(#2) - 'kbase'.
Error: could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 63334?
could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 63334?
but on the commandline I can do:
js@sitasie ~ 11:05:01> psql -h localhost -p 63334 wos
SET

Welcome, my magistrate

psql (10.5 (Debian 10.5-1.pgdg100+1), server 10.4 (Debian 10.4-2.pgdg90+1))
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

localhost js@wos=#

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager        Faks: 021-883 3691

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

The integrity and confidentiality of this e-mail is governed by these terms / Die integriteit en vertroulikheid van
hierdiee-pos word deur die volgende bepalings gere��l. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer

Re: PgAdmin4 stopped working: "The application server could not be contacted."

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 09:05:37AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> Can you provide logs? You may need to enable logging per
> https://www.pgadmin.org/faq/#8.

The log is complaining about not being able to contact the server on
port 63334 (I am using a ssh tunnel not defined in pgadmin4).

The last part of the log:
2018-09-06 11:05:26,060: ERROR  pgadmin:        Could not connected to server(#2) - 'kbase'.
Error: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 63334?
could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 63334?
but on the commandline I can do:
js@sitasie ~ 11:05:01> psql -h localhost -p 63334 wos
SET

Welcome, my magistrate

psql (10.5 (Debian 10.5-1.pgdg100+1), server 10.4 (Debian 10.4-2.pgdg90+1))
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.2, cipher: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

localhost js@wos=#

I'm confused. Your first message said the error was that the application server couldn't be contacted, but this seems to imply that pgAdmin is up and running and the failure is when it's trying to connect to a database server.

Do those log messages occur when pgAdmin is actually trying to start (i.e. maybe pgAdmin is trying to restore a connection at startup, then failing, and the timeout of that is also causing the runtime to timeout when connecting to the app server)?