Обсуждение: Trouble with postgres_fdw & dblink extensions

Trouble with postgres_fdw & dblink extensions

От
Lukáš Sobotka

Hi guys,

I would be grateful for some help. I am writing you because I am confused about using data foreign wrappers and dblink. I attached simplified script describing the problem.

What I am trying to do?
I have two databases and I need to copy table from local database to the remote one. For copying is used function which contains a few parts:

  • creating destination table on remote db

  • importing foreign table

  • insert data into foreign table

If query using foreign table (with setting) is performed, command for importing schema does not import new created table (it looks like table is not created yet). So copying ends with error. The second calling of function is all right (because destination table is already created from first calling).
If function does not use foreign table, the first calling of function copies all data.

Why the new created remote table can not be imported to local database when I had performed query on other foreign table? What am I missing?

I am using PG 9.6 (PostgreSQL 9.6.10 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28), 64-bit).

Best regards, Lukas

Вложения

Re: Trouble with postgres_fdw & dblink extensions

Дата:
=?UTF-8?B?THVrw6HFoSBTb2JvdGth?= <sobotka.luk@gmail.com> writes:
> I would be grateful for some help. I am writing you because I am confused
> about using data foreign wrappers and dblink. I attached simplified script
> describing the problem.

I think what is happening is that postgres_fdw starts a transaction on
its connection as soon as it's asked to do something, and then the CREATE
TABLE executed on dblink's separate connection isn't visible to that
already-in-progress transaction.

That theory only holds up if you are running in serializable mode (which
postgres_fdw would then also use for its remote transaction).  Which you
didn't say, but it's hard to see how it'd fail otherwise.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Trouble with postgres_fdw & dblink extensions

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/18 3:23 PM, Lukáš Sobotka wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would be grateful for some help. I am writing you because I am
> confused about using data foreign wrappers and dblink. I attached
> simplified script describing the problem.
>
> What I am trying to do?
> I have two databases and I need to copy table from local database to the
> remote one. For copying is used function which contains a few parts:
>
>   *

>   *
>
>     creating destination table on remote db
>
>   *
>
>     importing foreign table
>
>   *
>
>     insert data into foreign table
>
> If query using foreign table (with setting) is performed, command for
> importing schema does not import new created table (it looks like table
> is not created yet). So copying ends with error. The second calling of
> function is all right (because destination table is already created from
> first calling).
> If function does not use foreign table, the first calling of function
> copies all data.
>
> Why the new created remote table can not be imported to local database
> when I had performed query on other foreign table? What am I missing?

Should this:

dblink('test_server_link' ...)

not be:

dblink_exec('test_server_link' ...)