Обсуждение: postgres operational

postgres operational

От
Steve Clark
Дата:
Hi List,

Is there a sure fire way to tell if postgres server is up an operational. I was testing to see if the
socket at /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 existed - but I ran into a recent problem on CentOS 7.5, postgresql 9.2.24, where the
socket was there but my script couldn't read from my database yet.

Thanks,
Steve
--

RE: postgres operational

От
Scot Kreienkamp
Дата:
The best way I came up with for older versions is:    If timeout -s 9 10 psql -d DBNAME -c "select 1" >/dev/null ; then

And on newer versions, use the pg_isready command.

Scot Kreienkamp |Senior Systems Engineer | La-Z-Boy Corporate
One La-Z-Boy Drive| Monroe, Michigan 48162 |  Office: 734-384-6403 |  |  Mobile: 7349151444 | Email:
Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged,
confidentialinformation which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient,
youare strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient)
orcopying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
orby telephone at the above number. Thank you.

Re: postgres operational

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
El 9/1/19 a las 14:58, Steve Clark escribió:
> Hi List,
>
> Is there a sure fire way to tell if postgres server is up an operational. I was testing to see if the
> socket at /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 existed - but I ran into a recent problem on CentOS 7.5, postgresql 9.2.24, where the
> socket was there but my script couldn't read from my database yet.

Use `check_postgres`

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: postgres operational

От
Ron
Дата:
On 1/9/19 12:19 PM, Martín Marqués wrote:
> El 9/1/19 a las 14:58, Steve Clark escribió:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Is there a sure fire way to tell if postgres server is up an operational. I was testing to see if the
>> socket at /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 existed - but I ran into a recent problem on CentOS 7.5, postgresql 9.2.24, where the
>> socket was there but my script couldn't read from my database yet.
> Use `check_postgres`

Isn't "pg_ctl status" the canonical method?

Re: postgres operational

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
El 9/1/19 a las 17:38, Ron escribió:
> On 1/9/19 12:19 PM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> El 9/1/19 a las 14:58, Steve Clark escribió:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Is there a sure fire way to tell if postgres server is up an
>>> operational. I was testing to see if the
>>> socket at /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 existed - but I ran into a recent
>>> problem on CentOS 7.5, postgresql 9.2.24, where the
>>> socket was there but my script couldn't read from my database yet.
>> Use `check_postgres`
>
> Isn't "pg_ctl status" the canonical method?

Depends on what you are expecting.

`check_postgres` has many different checks, one which will actually try
to connect and run `SELECT 1` to make sure postgres can actually run a
query.

pg_ctl status might return ok, yet you can't connect for other reasons.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/