Обсуждение: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
Good evening,

I have prepared a simple test case for my question: https://www.db-fiddle.com/f/w1AYGpoZiWW9bLCYjHDk7H/0

There I create 3 tables:

CREATE TABLE users (
  uid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  avg_time TEXT
);

CREATE TABLE games (
  gid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  player1 INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES users(uid) ON DELETE CASCADE,
  player2 INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES users(uid) ON DELETE CASCADE CHECK (player1 <> player2)
);

CREATE TABLE moves (
  mid BIGSERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
  played  timestamptz NOT NULL,
  gid INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES games(gid) ON DELETE CASCADE,
  uid INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES users(uid) ON DELETE CASCADE
);

And then I fill them with 3 test players and 2 test games (1 vs. 3 and 1 vs. 2):

INSERT INTO users (uid) VALUES
  (1),
  (2),
  (3);

INSERT INTO games (gid, player1, player2) VALUES
  (1, 2, 3),
  (2, 1, 3),
  (3, 1, 2);

INSERT INTO moves (played, gid, uid) VALUES
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '1 hour', 2, 1),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '2 hour', 2, 3),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '3 hour', 2, 1), -- +1 hour
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '4 hour', 2, 3),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '5 hour', 2, 1), -- +1 hour
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '6 hour', 2, 3),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '7 hour', 2, 1), -- +1 hour
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '8 hour', 2, 3),

  (NOW() + INTERVAL '10 hour', 3, 1),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '20 hour', 3, 2),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '30 hour', 3, 1), -- +10 hours
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '40 hour', 3, 2),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '50 hour', 3, 1), -- +10 hours
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '60 hour', 3, 2),
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '70 hour', 3, 1), -- +10 hours
  (NOW() + INTERVAL '80 hour', 3, 2);

After that I am able to calculate the average time that the player 1 needs to perform a move (11 hours):

WITH diffs AS (
  SELECT
      gid,
      uid,
      played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
  FROM moves
  WHERE uid = 1
)
SELECT
  uid, AVG(diff)
FROM diffs
GROUP BY uid;

But how to take that calculated value and store it in the "avg_time" text column of the users table?

When I am trying

WITH diffs AS (
  SELECT
      gid,
      uid,
      played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
  FROM moves
  WHERE uid = 1
)
UPDATE users SET
avg_time = TO_CHAR(AVG(diff), 'HH24:MI')
FROM diffs;

the syntax error is unfortunately printed by PostgreSQL 10:

    aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

Regards
Alex

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:42 AM Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I am trying
>
> WITH diffs AS (
>   SELECT
>       gid,
>       uid,
>       played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
>   FROM moves
>   WHERE uid = 1
> )
> UPDATE users SET
> avg_time = TO_CHAR(AVG(diff), 'HH24:MI')
> FROM diffs;
>
> the syntax error is unfortunately printed by PostgreSQL 10:
>
>     aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

So calculate the average somewhere else, put the result in a column,
and then reference that column in the SET clause.

Its also unusual to have FROM with UPDATE but no WHERE clause...

David J.

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
Unfortunately, I don't understand your advice, David -

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:46 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:42 AM Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I am trying
>
> WITH diffs AS (
>   SELECT
>       gid,
>       uid,
>       played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
>   FROM moves
>   WHERE uid = 1
> )
> UPDATE users SET
> avg_time = TO_CHAR(AVG(diff), 'HH24:MI')
> FROM diffs;
>
> the syntax error is unfortunately printed by PostgreSQL 10:
>
>     aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

So calculate the average somewhere else, put the result in a column,
and then reference that column in the SET clause.

do you suggest to add a second CTE?

Regards
Alex

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:52 AM Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So calculate the average somewhere else, put the result in a column,
>> and then reference that column in the SET clause.
>>

> do you suggest to add a second CTE?

That would qualify as "somewhere else" - as would a simple subquery in FROM.

David J.

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
Ahh, the subqueries -

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:59 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:52 AM Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So calculate the average somewhere else, put the result in a column,
>> and then reference that column in the SET clause.
>
> do you suggest to add a second CTE?

That would qualify as "somewhere else" - as would a simple subquery in FROM.

they escaped my mind for some reason! :-)

WITH diffs AS (
  SELECT
      gid,
      uid,
      played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
  FROM moves
  WHERE uid = 1
)
UPDATE users SET avg_time =
(
  SELECT
    AVG(diff)
  FROM diffs
 GROUP BY uid
)
WHERE uid = 1;

seems to work, thank you

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
And I should better change the avg_time column from TEXT to TIMESTAMPTZ (and use TO_CHAR on it later down the road) so that I can compare my players

Regards
Alex

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
Last question please - how to run the query for all users?

I know I could use the FOR-loop from PL/PgSQL, but is there also a pure SQL way?

How to refer to the outside "uid" from inside the CTE in the query below?

WITH diffs AS (
  SELECT
      gid,
      uid,
      played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
  FROM moves
  WHERE uid = how_to_refer_to_the_outside_uid
)
UPDATE users SET avg_time =
(
  SELECT
    AVG(diff)
  FROM diffs
 GROUP BY uid
)
WHERE uid IN (SELECT uid FROM users);

Regards
Alex

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:42 PM Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last question please - how to run the query for all users?
>
> I know I could use the FOR-loop from PL/PgSQL, but is there also a pure SQL way?
>
> How to refer to the outside "uid" from inside the CTE in the query below?
>
> WITH diffs AS (
>   SELECT
>       gid,
>       uid,
>       played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
>   FROM moves
>   WHERE uid = how_to_refer_to_the_outside_uid
> )
> UPDATE users SET avg_time =
> (
>   SELECT
>     AVG(diff)
>   FROM diffs
>  GROUP BY uid
> )
> WHERE uid IN (SELECT uid FROM users);

UPDATE users
SET avg_time = diffs.average_time_for_the_grouped_by_user
FROM diffs
WHERE users.uid = diffs.uid --< the missing "where" I commented about earlier

But you need to construct the "diffs" CTE/subquery so that it Group[s] By uid

David J.

Re: aggregate functions are not allowed in UPDATE

От
Alexander Farber
Дата:
Thank you, the following seems to have worked -

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:49 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> UPDATE users
> SET avg_time = diffs.average_time_for_the_grouped_by_user
> FROM diffs
> WHERE users.uid = diffs.uid --< the missing "where" I commented about earlier
>
> But you need to construct the "diffs" CTE/subquery so that it Group[s] By uid

WITH diffs AS (
  SELECT
      gid,
      uid,
      played - LAG(played) OVER(PARTITION BY gid ORDER BY played) AS diff
  FROM moves
),
avg_diffs AS (
  SELECT uid, AVG(diff) as avg_diff FROM diffs GROUP BY uid
)
UPDATE users SET avg_time = avg_diff
FROM avg_diffs
WHERE users.uid = avg_diffs.uid;