Обсуждение: Case Insensitive

Case Insensitive

От
Sridhar N Bamandlapally
Дата:
Hi PG-General and Pgsql-Admin

Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

I mean, need below way

postgres=# select * from emp;
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)

postgres=# select * from emp where ename='aaa';
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)
--above result is just an manual made example only

Thanks
Sridhar

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Sameer Kumar

On Thu, 28 Mar, 2019, 4:20 PM Sridhar N Bamandlapally, <sridhar.bn1@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi PG-General and Pgsql-Admin

Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

You are perhaps migrating from another RDBMS where this kind of feature is considered a feature.

I mean, need below way

postgres=# select * from emp;
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)

postgres=# select * from emp where ename='aaa';
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)
--above result is just an manual made example only

You can write a query with upper function:

select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');

Or you can overload the "=" operator for text arguements.

[...]

Ben Madin
Дата:
Or you can just use `ilike`:

SELECT * FROM emp WHERE ename ilike 'aaa';

cheers

Ben

--

Ausvet Logo

Dr Ben Madin

BVMS MVPHMgmt PhD MANZCVS GAICD
Managing Director
Skype: benmadin
Address:
5 Shuffrey Street
Fremantle, WA 6160
Australia

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Ben Madin
Дата:
[...]

Murtuza Zabuawala
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 1:50 PM Sridhar N Bamandlapally <sridhar.bn1@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi PG-General and Pgsql-Admin

Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

You can try
select * from emp where ename ILIKE 'aaa';

I mean, need below way

postgres=# select * from emp;
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)

postgres=# select * from emp where ename='aaa';
 eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
(2 rows)
--above result is just an manual made example only

Thanks
Sridhar

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Murtuza Zabuawala
Дата:
[...]

Andreas Kretschmer

Am 28.03.19 um 09:20 schrieb Sridhar N Bamandlapally:
> Hi PG-General and Pgsql-Admin
>
> Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

test=# create extension citext;
CREATE EXTENSION
test=*# create table emp (eid int, ename citext);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# insert into emp values (1, 'aaa');
INSERT 0 1
test=*# insert into emp values (2, 'AAA');
INSERT 0 1
test=*# select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
  eid | ename
-----+-------
    1 | aaa
    2 | AAA
(2 rows)

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Ron
Дата:
On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
[snip]
You can write a query with upper function:

select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');

That's a guaranteed table scan.

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Steve Atkins

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> [snip]
>> You can write a query with upper function:
>>
>> select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');
>
> That's a guaranteed table scan.

Unless you have an index on upper(ename).

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Sameer Kumar

On Thu, 28 Mar, 2019, 4:28 PM Andreas Kretschmer, <andreas@a-kretschmer.de> wrote:

Am 28.03.19 um 09:20 schrieb Sridhar N Bamandlapally:
> Hi PG-General and Pgsql-Admin
>
> Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

test=# create extension citext;
CREATE EXTENSION
test=*# create table emp (eid int, ename citext);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# insert into emp values (1, 'aaa');
INSERT 0 1
test=*# insert into emp values (2, 'AAA');
INSERT 0 1
test=*# select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
  eid | ename
-----+-------
    1 | aaa
    2 | AAA
(2 rows)

Ummm... Will it use an index (a BTree index)?

Regards, Andreas

--

On Thu, 28 Mar, 2019, 4:33 PM Steve Atkins, <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> [snip]
>> You can write a query with upper function:
>>
>> select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');
>
> That's a guaranteed table scan.

Unless you have an index on upper(ename).

Yup, with this or overloading "=", one can create an expression based index and benefit from it.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Sridhar N Bamandlapally
Дата:
With ILIKE or extension CITEXT, does it have any impact on Indexes, like not picking index ?

ILIKE works only for operator LIKE not for operator =

CITEXT seems some possibilities,

Thanks
Sridhar

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:07 PM Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Mar, 2019, 4:33 PM Steve Atkins, <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> [snip]
>> You can write a query with upper function:
>>
>> select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');
>
> That's a guaranteed table scan.

Unless you have an index on upper(ename).

Yup, with this or overloading "=", one can create an expression based index and benefit from it.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Ron
Дата:
On 3/28/19 3:33 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:

>> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> You can write a query with upper function:
>>>
>>> select * from emp where upper(ename)=upper('aaa');
>> That's a guaranteed table scan.
> Unless you have an index on upper(ename).

Are you sure?  I thought the lpart had to be immutable for the query
optimizer to decide to use an index (and upper(ename) is mutable).

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-03-28 09:20, Sridhar N Bamandlapally wrote:
> Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

Use the citext extension.

In PostgreSQL 12, there will be support for case-insensitive collations.

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-03-28 09:20, Sridhar N Bamandlapally wrote:
> Can we achieve CASE INSENSITIVE in PostgreSQL?

Use the citext extension.

In PostgreSQL 12, there will be support for case-insensitive collations.

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Steve Atkins

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/28/19 3:33 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 3/28/19 3:23 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> That's a guaranteed table scan.
>> Unless you have an index on upper(ename).
>
> Are you sure?  I thought the lpart had to be immutable for the query optimizer to decide to use an index (and
upper(ename)is mutable).

Yeah. Case insensitive searches like this are pretty much the first example given for why you might want to use an
expressionindex.

The expression in an expression index has to be immutable, but upper() is - it will always give the same output for a
giveninput. (For values of "always" that probably depend on not performing major surgery on collations, but that falls
intothe "lie to the planner, get rotten results" category).

Check "\df+ upper"

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Andy Anderson
Дата:
Would this also select characters with diacritical marks? For example,

eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
   3 | áäâ
   4 | āåȧ

— Andy

On Mar 28, 2019, at 4:26 AM, Ben Madin <ben@ausvet.com.au> wrote:

[...]

Вложения

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Andy Anderson
Дата:

Am 28.03.19 um 09:33 schrieb Sameer Kumar:

>     test=*# select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
>       eid | ename
>     -----+-------
>         1 | aaa
>         2 | AAA
>     (2 rows)
>

> Ummm... Will it use an index (a BTree index)?

test=# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
                      QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on emp  (cost=0.00..25.88 rows=6 width=36)
    Filter: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
(2 rows)

test=*# set enable_seqscan to off;
SET
test=*# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
                                QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on emp  (cost=10000000000.00..10000000025.88 rows=6 width=36)
    Filter: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
(2 rows)

test=*# create index emp_ename on emp(ename);
CREATE INDEX
test=*# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
                               QUERY PLAN
  Index Scan using emp_ename on emp  (cost=0.13..8.14 rows=1 width=36)
    Index Cond: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
(2 rows)

test=*#

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Tim Clarke
Дата:
On 28/03/2019 11:10, Andy Anderson wrote:
Would this also select characters with diacritical marks? For example,

eid | ename
-----+-------
   1 | aaa
   2 | AAA
   3 | áäâ
   4 | āåȧ

— Andy

For that you need https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/unaccent.html

Tim Clarke

Main: +44 (0)1376 503500 | Fax: +44 (0)1376 503550
Web:
https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | England

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you must not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to admin@minerva.info
Legal:  Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics
Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here >> for further information.

Re: Case Insensitive

От
"Brad Nicholson"

Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@a-kretschmer.de> wrote on 03/28/2019 07:28:53 AM:

> > Ummm... Will it use an index (a BTree index)?
> >

> test=# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
>                       QUERY PLAN
>   Seq Scan on emp  (cost=0.00..25.88 rows=6 width=36)
>     Filter: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
> (2 rows)
>
> test=*# set enable_seqscan to off;
> SET
> test=*# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
>                                 QUERY PLAN
>   Seq Scan on emp  (cost=10000000000.00..10000000025.88 rows=6 width=36)
>     Filter: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
> (2 rows)
>
> test=*# create index emp_ename on emp(ename);
> CREATE INDEX
> test=*# explain select * from emp where ename = 'aaa';
>                                QUERY PLAN
>   Index Scan using emp_ename on emp  (cost=0.13..8.14 rows=1 width=36)
>     Index Cond: (ename = 'aaa'::citext)
> (2 rows)

I used citext heavily in a past project and was quite happy with it.  It was never a source of performance issues.

Brad.

Re: Case Insensitive

От
Shreeyansh Dba
Дата:
Hi Sridhar,

There are a few workarounds available, hope this will help you.

1) Use the citext extension
2) Use ILIKE instead of LIKE
3) Use Postgres lower() function
4) Add an index on lower(ename)

[...]