Обсуждение: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
stan

I have a very confusing isse. I am trying to backup and restre a signle
table .

first I dump the table.

Script started on 2019-10-24 06:29:12-0400
]0;stan@smokey: ~stan@smokey:~$ pg_dump -a --table task_instance  > task_instance.dump

Then I connect to the db, and verify that things are as expected.

]0;stan@smokey: ~stan@smokey:~$ psql
psql (11.5 (Ubuntu 11.5-3.pgdg18.04+1))
Type "help" for help.

[local] stan@stan=> \dt
                 List of relations
 Schema |           Name           | Type  | Owner
--------+--------------------------+-------+-------
 public | biz_constants            | table | stan
 public | bom_item                 | table | stan
 public | costing_unit             | table | stan
 public | customer                 | table | stan
 public | earthquake               | table | stan
 public | employee                 | table | stan
 public | expense_report_instance  | table | stan
 public | gl_code                  | table | stan
 public | mfg                      | table | stan
 public | mfg_part                 | table | stan
 public | mfg_vendor_relationship  | table | stan
 public | permitted_work           | table | stan
 public | phone_number_test        | table | stan
 public | project                  | table | stan
 public | project_budget_component | table | stan
 public | project_cost_category    | table | stan
 public | rate                     | table | stan
 public | salary                   | table | stan
 public | task_instance            | table | stan
 public | vendor                   | table | stan
 public | work_type                | table | stan
(21 rows)

[local] stan@stan=> \d task_instance
[?1049h[?1h=                                          Table "public.task_instance"
    Column     |           Type           | Collation | Nullable |                     Default
---------------+--------------------------+-----------+----------+-------------- ---------------------------------
 task_instance | integer                  |           | not null | nextval('task _instance_key_serial'::regclass)
 project_key   | integer                  |           | not null |
 employee_key  | integer                  |           | not null |
 work_type_key | integer                  |           | not null |
 hours         | numeric(5,2)             |           | not null |
 work_start    | timestamp with time zone |           | not null |
 work_end      | timestamp with time zone |           | not null |
 modtime       | timestamp with time zone |           | not null | CURRENT_TIMES TAMP
 lock          | boolean                  |           |          | true
 descrip       | character varying        |           |          |
    "task_instance_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (task_instance)
    "task_constraint" UNIQUE CONSTRAINT, btree (employee_key, work_type_key, pro ject_key, work_start, work_end)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "task_instance_employee_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (employee_key) REFERENCES empl
:[?1l>[?1049l[local]stan@stan=> \d permitted_work
[?1049h[?1h=                            Table "public.permitted_work"
    Column     |           Type           | Collation | Nullable |      Default
---------------+--------------------------+-----------+----------+-------------- -----
 employee_key  | integer                  |           | not null |
 work_type_key | integer                  |           | not null |
 permit        | boolean                  |           | not null | false
 modtime       | timestamp with time zone |           | not null | CURRENT_TIMES TAMP
    "permit_constraint" UNIQUE CONSTRAINT, btree (employee_key, work_type_key)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "permitted_work_employee_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (employee_key) REFERENCES emp loyee(employee_key) ON DELETE
RESTRICT
    "permitted_work_work_type_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (work_type_key) REFERENCES w ork_type(work_type_key) ON DELETE
RESTRICT

Then I delete the rows from the table.

(END)[?1l>[?1049l[local] stan@stan=> delete from task_instance ;
DELETE 31

Then I try to restore from the dump file.

[local] stan@stan=> \i task_instance.dump
SET
SET
SET
SET
SET
 set_config
------------

(1 row)

SET
SET
SET
SET
psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist
LINE 3:                 permitted_work
                        ^
QUERY:  SELECT
                permit                      FROM
                permitted_work
        WHERE
                NEW.employee_key = permitted_work.employee_key
        AND
                NEW.work_type_key = permitted_work.work_type_key
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function public.check_permission() line 4 at SQL statement
COPY task_instance, line 1: "1    1    1    8    17.50    2019-02-01 00:00:00-05    2019-02-08 00:00:00-05
2019-10-2406:28:44.502699-04    t    Drawings..."

After that error, U cannot see any objects in the table

[local] stan@stan=> \dt
Did not find any relations.
[local] stan@stan=> \q
]0;stan@smokey: ~stan@smokey:~$ exit

Script done on 2019-10-24 06:30:48-0400

quiting psql and reconecting shows that the obkects ARE there, with the
taks)instance table  empty.

What am I doing wrong?
neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
stan
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 07:57:14AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> Why did you do "\i task_instance.dump" instead of "pg_restore"?

Ah, that may be the root of my problem. I had in the back of my mind that
the result  of a pg_dump was a free standing SQL script, but that my be
exactly what is going on. I will try to use pg_restore, and make certain
that resolves my issue.

In the meantime, I found that if I deleted all the SET lines from the dump
I could restore with psql. But that is probably not the right way to do
this.

> [...]
> >                  NEW.work_type_key = permitted_work.work_type_key
> > CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function public.check_permission() line 4 at SQL statement
> > COPY task_instance, line 1: "1    1    1    8    17.50    2019-02-01 00:00:00-05    2019-02-08 00:00:00-05
2019-10-2406:28:44.502699-04    t    Drawings..."

> > After that error, U cannot see any objects in the table
> >
> > [local] stan@stan=> \dt
> > Did not find any relations.
> > [local] stan@stan=> \q
> > ]0;stan@smokey: ~stan@smokey:~$ exit
> >
> > Script done on 2019-10-24 06:30:48-0400
> >
> > quiting psql and reconecting shows that the obkects ARE there, with the
> > taks)instance table  empty.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/24/19 3:52 AM, stan wrote:

> I have a very confusing isse. I am trying to backup and restre a signle
> table .
>
> first I dump the table.

Actually you are just dumping the table data.

More below.

> [...]

RESTRICT

> Then I delete the rows from the table.
>
> (END)[?1l>[?1049l[local] stan@stan=> delete from task_instance ;
> DELETE 31
>
> Then I try to restore from the dump file.
>
> [local] stan@stan=> \i task_instance.dump
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
>   set_config
> ------------
>
> (1 row)
>
> SET
> SET
> SET
> SET
> psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist

In your  \d task_instance above I do not see a trigger that calls
public.check_permission(). Does one exist or was it cut off the output
you pasted?

Also look in the dump file. Given that you are using 11.5 I'm going to
assume it is resetting the search_path and that the unqualified  schema
name of permitted_work below is your issue.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
stan
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 07:04:11AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> [...]
> > DELETE 31
> >
> > Then I try to restore from the dump file.
> >
> > [local] stan@stan=> \i task_instance.dump
> > SET
> > SET
> > SET
> > SET
> > SET
> >   set_config
> > ------------
> > (1 row)
> >
> > SET
> > SET
> > SET
> > SET
> > psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist
> > LINE 3:                 permitted_work
> >                          ^
>
> In your  \d task_instance above I do not see a trigger that calls
> public.check_permission(). Does one exist or was it cut off the output you

It exists. Perhaps I am using a different /dt format? I am not accustomed
to seeing the triggers when I do it.

> Also look in the dump file. Given that you are using 11.5 I'm going to
> assume it is resetting the search_path and that the unqualified  schema name
> of permitted_work below is your issue.

That makes sense. If I delete all the SET lines things do work.

Is this a known bug on version 11.5? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
BTW 11.5 is the latest package for Ubuntu, I believe.

Should I start always specifying the schema? Seems to add confusion to me.

Thanks for the education here.

> > QUERY:  SELECT
> >                  permit                      FROM
> >                  permitted_work
> >          WHERE
> >                  NEW.employee_key = permitted_work.employee_key
> >          AND
> >                  NEW.work_type_key = permitted_work.work_type_key
> > CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function public.check_permission() line 4 at SQL statement
> > COPY task_instance, line 1: "1    1    1    8    17.50    2019-02-01 00:00:00-05    2019-02-08 00:00:00-05
2019-10-2406:28:44.502699-04    t    Drawings..."

> > After that error, U cannot see any objects in the table
> >
> > [local] stan@stan=> \dt
> > Did not find any relations.
> > [local] stan@stan=> \q
> > ]0;stan@smokey: ~stan@smokey:~$ exit
> >
> > Script done on 2019-10-24 06:30:48-0400
> >
> > quiting psql and reconecting shows that the obkects ARE there, with the
> > taks)instance table  empty.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:

---------------------------------
>>>    task_instance | integer                  |           | not null | nextval('task
_instance_key_serial'::regclass)
>>>    project_key   | integer                  |           | not null |
>>>    employee_key  | integer                  |           | not null |
>>>    work_type_key | integer                  |           | not null |
>>>    hours         | numeric(5,2)             |           | not null |
>>>    work_start    | timestamp with time zone |           | not null |
>>>    work_end      | timestamp with time zone |           | not null |
>>>    modtime       | timestamp with time zone |           | not null | CURRENT_TIMES TAMP
>>>    lock          | boolean                  |           |          | true
>>>    descrip       | character varying        |           |          |
>>>       "task_instance_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (task_instance)
>>>       "task_constraint" UNIQUE CONSTRAINT, btree (employee_key, work_type_key, pro ject_key, work_start,
work_end)
>>> Foreign-key constraints:
>>>       "task_instance_employee_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (employee_key) REFERENCES empl
:[?1l>[?1049l[local]stan@stan=> \d permitted_work

>>> [?1049h[?1h=                            Table "public.permitted_work"
>>>       Column     |           Type           | Collation | Nullable |      Default
>>> ---------------+--------------------------+-----------+----------+-------------- -----
>>>    employee_key  | integer                  |           | not null |
>>>    work_type_key | integer                  |           | not null |
>>>    permit        | boolean                  |           | not null | false
>>>    modtime       | timestamp with time zone |           | not null | CURRENT_TIMES TAMP
>>>       "permit_constraint" UNIQUE CONSTRAINT, btree (employee_key, work_type_key)
>>> Foreign-key constraints:
>>>       "permitted_work_employee_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (employee_key) REFERENCES emp loyee(employee_key) ON DELETE
RESTRICT
>>>       "permitted_work_work_type_key_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (work_type_key) REFERENCES w ork_type(work_type_key) ON
DELETERESTRICT

>>> Then I delete the rows from the table.
>>>
>>> (END)[?1l>[?1049l[local] stan@stan=> delete from task_instance ;
>>> DELETE 31
>>>
>>> Then I try to restore from the dump file.
>>>
>>> [local] stan@stan=> \i task_instance.dump
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>>    set_config
>>> ------------
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> SET
>>> psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist
>>> LINE 3:                 permitted_work
>>>                           ^
>>
>> In your  \d task_instance above I do not see a trigger that calls
>> public.check_permission(). Does one exist or was it cut off the output you
>> pasted?
>
> It exists. Perhaps I am using a different /dt format? I am not accustomed
> to seeing the triggers when I do it.
>

>> Also look in the dump file. Given that you are using 11.5 I'm going to
>> assume it is resetting the search_path and that the unqualified  schema name
>> of permitted_work below is your issue.
>
> That makes sense. If I delete all the SET lines things do work.
>
> Is this a known bug on version 11.5? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
> BTW 11.5 is the latest package for Ubuntu, I believe.

Not a bug, a security fix:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1834/
PostgreSQL 10.3, 9.6.8, 9.5.12, 9.4.17, and 9.3.22 released!

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058%3A_Protect_Your_Search_Path

All versions greater then and equal to those mentioned above have the fix.

> Should I start always specifying the schema? Seems to add confusion to me.

Yes. See CVE link for why that is important.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
stan
Дата:

---------------------------------
_instance_key_serial'::regclass)
:[?1l>[?1049l[local]stan@stan=> \d permitted_work
DELETERESTRICT
DELETERESTRICT

> > > In your  \d task_instance above I do not see a trigger that calls
> > > public.check_permission(). Does one exist or was it cut off the output you
> > > pasted?
> >
> > It exists. Perhaps I am using a different /dt format? I am not accustomed
> > to seeing the triggers when I do it.
> >

> > > Also look in the dump file. Given that you are using 11.5 I'm going to
> > > assume it is resetting the search_path and that the unqualified  schema name
> > > of permitted_work below is your issue.
> >
> > That makes sense. If I delete all the SET lines things do work.
> >
> > Is this a known bug on version 11.5? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
> > BTW 11.5 is the latest package for Ubuntu, I believe.
>
> Not a bug, a security fix:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1834/
> PostgreSQL 10.3, 9.6.8, 9.5.12, 9.4.17, and 9.3.22 released!
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058%3A_Protect_Your_Search_Path
>
> All versions greater then and equal to those mentioned above have the fix.
>

> > Should I start always specifying the schema? Seems to add confusion to me.
>
> Yes. See CVE link for why that is important.
>

> > Thanks for the education here.

2019-10-2406:28:44.502699-04    t    Drawings..."

And I thought we were done with this :-(

So, I created a schema for the project. Gave all the users permissions on that schema,
recreated all the object in the new schema, verified that everything, including the functions
are in that schema, and I when I dump a table, and try to restore it I get the original
error. I see this line in the dump:

SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path', '', false);

So, it appears that this means that the function cannot be found, even if it is in the new
(default) schema.

Oh yes, I did make the new schema the first thing in the search path defined in the system-wide
postgresql.conf file.

Surely this cant be the intended behavior.

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:

---------------------------------
_instance_key_serial'::regclass)
:[?1l>[?1049l[local]stan@stan=> \d permitted_work

DELETERESTRICT

DELETERESTRICT

>>> It exists. Perhaps I am using a different /dt format? I am not accustomed
>>> to seeing the triggers when I do it.

>>> That makes sense. If I delete all the SET lines things do work.
>>>
>>> Is this a known bug on version 11.5? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
>>> BTW 11.5 is the latest package for Ubuntu, I believe.
>>
>> Not a bug, a security fix:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1834/
>> PostgreSQL 10.3, 9.6.8, 9.5.12, 9.4.17, and 9.3.22 released!
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058%3A_Protect_Your_Search_Path
>>
>> All versions greater then and equal to those mentioned above have the fix.
>>

>>> Should I start always specifying the schema? Seems to add confusion to me.
>>
>> Yes. See CVE link for why that is important.
>>

>>> Thanks for the education here.

2019-10-2406:28:44.502699-04    t    Drawings..."

> And I thought we were done with this :-(
>
> So, I created a schema for the project. Gave all the users permissions on that schema,
> recreated all the object in the new schema, verified that everything, including the functions
> are in that schema, and I when I dump a table, and try to restore it I get the original
> error. I see this line in the dump:
>
> SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path', '', false);
>
> So, it appears that this means that the function cannot be found, even if it is in the new
> (default) schema.

The original error was not about finding the function it was about not
finding the table in the function:

psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist
LINE 3:                 permitted_work
                         ^
QUERY:  SELECT
                 permit                      FROM
                 permitted_work
         WHERE
                 NEW.employee_key = permitted_work.employee_key
         AND
                 NEW.work_type_key = permitted_work.work_type_key
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function public.check_permission() line 4 at SQL
statement

You need to schema qualify the table name inside  the function.

> Oh yes, I did make the new schema the first thing in the search path defined in the system-wide
> postgresql.conf file.

That won't matter in this case as:

SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path', '', false);

sets an empty search_path for the session.

> Surely this cant be the intended behavior.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A very puzzling backup/restore problem

Дата:
> On 10/24/19 2:58 PM, stan wrote:
>> So, it appears that this means that the function cannot be found, even if it is in the new
>> (default) schema.

> The original error was not about finding the function it was about not
> finding the table in the function:

> psql:task_instance.dump:55: ERROR:  relation "permitted_work" does not exist
> LINE 3:                 permitted_work
>                          ^

> You need to schema qualify the table name inside  the function.

Or attach a SET clause to the function, so that it executes with a
known search_path regardless of the session's prevailing path.

            regards, tom lane