Обсуждение: pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl

pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl

От
Vikas Sharma
Дата:
Greetings,

We use postgresql 9.6 and pgpool 3.7.5 and we are now asked to enable ssl for 'in transit'. I have setup the ssl server side on the
postgresql dbs ( master and slave) and can see in pg_stat_ssl that the master slave communication and connections from the application are showing ssl = 't'

I have set the parameters in pgpool.conf as well but not sure if the pgpool is working with ssl enabled. because when I try to connect
with psql using pgpool I get below:

[postgres@pgool-server ~]$ psql 'host=localhost port=5432 dbname=postgres user=user1  sslmode=require'
psql: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required

Can you please advise on the above error, is the pgpool not supporting ssl because it is not compiled with openssl? However, I can see
libssl.so.10 when I do 'ldd' on pgpool binary.

Best Regards
Vikas

Re: pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl

Дата:
Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> writes:
> We use postgresql 9.6 and pgpool 3.7.5 and we are now asked to enable ssl
> for 'in transit'. I have setup the ssl server side on the
> postgresql dbs ( master and slave) and can see in pg_stat_ssl that the
> master slave communication and connections from the application are showing
> ssl = 't'

> I have set the parameters in pgpool.conf as well but not sure if the pgpool
> is working with ssl enabled. because when I try to connect
> with psql using pgpool I get below:

> [postgres@pgool-server ~]$ psql 'host=localhost port=5432 dbname=postgres
> user=user1  sslmode=require'
> psql: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required

Hm, is pgpool maybe using Unix-socket connections to the database?
I'm not sure why pgpool would be trying to pass SSL-ness of the
connection through to the server in that case, though.  Seems like
something you should discuss with the pgpool people.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> writes:
>> We use postgresql 9.6 and pgpool 3.7.5 and we are now asked to enable ssl
>> for 'in transit'. I have setup the ssl server side on the
>> postgresql dbs ( master and slave) and can see in pg_stat_ssl that the
>> master slave communication and connections from the application are showing
>> ssl = 't'
>
>> I have set the parameters in pgpool.conf as well but not sure if the pgpool
>> is working with ssl enabled. because when I try to connect
>> with psql using pgpool I get below:
>
>> [postgres@pgool-server ~]$ psql 'host=localhost port=5432 dbname=postgres
>> user=user1  sslmode=require'
>> psql: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required
>
> Hm, is pgpool maybe using Unix-socket connections to the database?
> I'm not sure why pgpool would be trying to pass SSL-ness of the
> connection through to the server in that case, though.

Pgpool-II handles connection between client and Pgpool-II, and between
Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL separately. i.e. it is possible to establish
SSL connection between client and Pgpool-II while the connection
between Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL is established without SSL depending
the configuration of Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL (for example, if
Pgpool-II is configured to connect to PostgreSQL using Unix-socket,
SSL will be disabled between Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL as you said).

I think the error suggests that there's something wrong with Pgpool-II
SSL configuration. For example, if the pass to ssl key is wrong, you
see something like below in the pgpool log while pgpool is starting
up:

2019-12-11 08:53:23: pid 8506: WARNING:  could not access private key file "/usr/local/etc/server.keyk": No such file
ordirectory

> Seems like
> something you should discuss with the pgpool people.

True. The issue is almost nothing to do with PostgreSQL. I recommend
to discuss in the pgpool mailing list:

BTW, pgpool 3.7.5 is pretty old (released in 2018). The latest one in
3.7.x series is 3.7.12.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan