Обсуждение: Health warning:

Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
Do not install any version of pgadmin4 which doesn't come with installer especially the *nix versions.

Even the sarcastic women on YouTube used the windows installer.

She says you can't beat free with a stick.
The person who is doing pgadmin4 login window.  Managed to persuade people to stay away from pgadmin4. I am persuaded.
Even
EnterpriseDB appreciates the hopeless hapless maintainer,  that they provide their own  gui installer which works every time.

My windows10 versions 12 are trouble free as I have an installer for that.

Let's face it some people just aren't cut out for software development and we know who you are. "Maintainer of pgadmjn4".
EnterpriseDB agree.

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, 11:17 Zahid Rahman, <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks,

I have done a clean install of ubuntu V18.04
I also installed kubuntu.
The first thing I did was installed postgres,
following the instructions on this page. https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
I also installed the remaining  software  following instructions lower down the page. under the heading
Included in distribution  changing the  appropriate version number
I was prompted for email and password for pgadmin4.

When I went to launch pgadmin4 from the kubuntu launch menu via the elephant icon.
I was expecting to get the login page prompting me for email and password.
Instead.
The  Firefox browser launched  with pgadmin4 supplied URL http://127.0.0.1:43169/browser/
with the message "Unauthorized " \n "The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."
Obviously I haven't supplied any credentials let alone bad ones. I  strongly deny that  accusation. I don't know the browser first hand or even intimately  so I cannot speak on its behalf.
So what I  need to set, or is not included in the instructions to get the pgadmin4 login page.
So that others who want to use the software, I assume you want that,  are spared the heart ache and distress, instead enjoy endless hours burning the midnight candle light.

Thanks

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 01:09, Renee <renee.phillips@gmail.com> wrote:
Regarding the broken link, please contact EnterpriseDB through the contact link on their website. They are a company and do not necessarily monitor the postgres mailing lists.

Maintainers of free and open source tools like PgAdmin appreciate specific, measurable recommendations. ‘Flaky’ is not actionable. If you can collect screen shots or otherwise document your issues so they can be reproduced, you may be able to provide useable suggestions and they may be able to address your concerns. (You may also find your concerns addressed in some of the archives.)

Looking forward to seeing you more on the lists. Welcome to the community, it’s a very generous group full of hard working folks.

On Dec 15, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks I wasn't sure if anybody was on the line. It was a kind of test.
Anyway  I got good responses.
I wanna give my response too.
The pgadmin tool which comes with the postgres 10.11  *nix installer is nice and stable.
As for the latest version pgadmin4 that is flakier than flake 99. Hours of pain for nothing.
I hope the database lives up to its name.
Ingres was a very stable database used in large and complex system.

this link "PostgreSQL 12.0 Installation Guide" is broken.

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 18:55, Bee.Lists <bee.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is anybody out there ?
> Wanna address some issues I have ?

Not a good way of starting.  Post your questions.  Don’t think people are waiting around to give you attention.

Cheers, Bee

Re: Health warning:

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

These mailing lists are for asking questions and providing constructive
feedback, as well as collaboration, on PostgreSQL and the surrounding
software ecosystem. Please do not use the mailing lists to make comments
that can be considered personal attacks on people who are maintainers on
pgAdmin4 or any other project.

If you have constructive feedback for the group that is maintaining
pgadmin4 as well as any contributions you would like to make, I
recommend providing through the resources they make available here:

https://www.pgadmin.org/support/

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
Without criticism or complaint , how will you improve your standards  ?

People often  overlook  the upside of criticism and complaint

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:17 Jonathan S. Katz, <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

These mailing lists are for asking questions and providing constructive
feedback, as well as collaboration, on PostgreSQL and the surrounding
software ecosystem. Please do not use the mailing lists to make comments
that can be considered personal attacks on people who are maintainers on
pgAdmin4 or any other project.

If you have constructive feedback for the group that is maintaining
pgadmin4 as well as any contributions you would like to make, I
recommend providing through the resources they make available here:

https://www.pgadmin.org/support/

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Health warning:

От
James Keener
Дата:
There is such a thing as constructive criticism. One can criticize without attack. Complaints can be given with enough information to be helpful and aid in making changes, or they can be some form of "this doesn't work for what I want", which isn't helpful.

No one said not to offer feedback -- what was said was to refrain from personal attacks.

Jim

On December 17, 2019 9:30:30 AM EST, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Pedro Roy
Дата:
If you want to help so much, why not create a free tool yourself and implement your suggestions?!

Pedro

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 17, 2019, at 10:30 AM, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Дата:
I don't need help to install software.
The person who thinks they can provide software is so poor that even EnterpriseDB agree needs help.

For evidence.

I am giving help by providing constructive feedback with supporting evidence.

I have managed to install pgadmin with the login page on ubuntu before , by following instructions on another website.

Unfortunately I can't find that website.
The instructions were long and complicated. Clearly somebody else recognised the poor quality of documents and software.

I am not responsible for documents or software development here so why do I need help  ?

If I were responsible or in charge this product would be the most stable, easy to install, easy to use , on the entire NET.

Thank you for listening.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:41 Pedro Roy, <leninc@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Gerald Cheves
Дата:
On 12/17/2019 9:58 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:

> I am not responsible for documents or software development here so why
> do I need [to] help  ?

Because this is an open source project that is supported by the
community. Are you a part of the community?

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
Open source and community can mean also easy to use for the community
easy to install for the community.
If you want to be part of community then this should be your mission statement of your community.So somebody like me can say that *community* has very high almost professional standards.

Easy to use , Easy to install ,
These are best practice software development  concepts.

Clearly EnterpriseDB has seen that these standards are not followed , so they quietly developed their own installer. I dare say they did it because they knew people would attack them  as you are attacking me  for pointing out , your standards are very poor.

Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

Are you not a community with pride in your work.
A community with standards on par with professional  standards.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:08 Gerald Cheves, <gcheves@verizon.net> wrote:
On 12/17/2019 9:58 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:

> I am not responsible for documents or software development here so why
> do I need [to] help  ?

Because this is an open source project that is supported by the
community. Are you a part of the community?

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Re: Health warning:

От
Gerald Cheves
Дата:
On 12/17/2019 10:17 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:
> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Re: Health warning:

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

As Jonathan mentioned earlier, constructive feedback is welcome, but
we've moved pretty far from that at this point in the thread, and this
isn't really the appropriate list for pgAdmin anyway.

If you'd like to offer further constructive feedback, I encourage you
to provide specific technical comments to the appropriate list.  If you
have the skills and time to provide patches, even better.

There doesn't seem to be much more to discuss in this particular thread,
so let's end it here.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
By support you mean I should do free tests and let you know where the problem  are.

Anyway alot of talk but fail to address the issue , why a company  "EnterpriseDB"  has provided installer.  The fact I have not received  to my original  query means you are all using the free  installer or managed to install it with sheer luck.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:23 Gerald Cheves, <gcheves@verizon.net> wrote:
On 12/17/2019 10:17 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:
> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Re: Health warning:

От
Adam Lipinski
Дата:
Zahid,

Please contribute, your view is important. Quoting a commercial enterprise and how they choose to spend their development resource is a moot point.

Best Regards,

Adam

By support you mean I should do free tests and let you know where the problem  are.

Anyway alot of talk but fail to address the issue , why a company  "EnterpriseDB"  has provided installer.  The fact I have not received  to my original  query means you are all using the free  installer or managed to install it with sheer luck.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:23 Gerald Cheves, <gcheves@verizon.net> wrote:
On 12/17/2019 10:17 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:
> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Internet Email Confidentiality Footer: This email and any files transmitted with it contain privileged/confidential information intended for the addressee. Neither the confidentiality of nor any privilege in the email is waived, lost or destroyed by reason that it has been transmitted other than to the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately.

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
My constructive feedback is  pgadmin4 needs a  gui installer  like EnterpriseDB for version 11 and 12.

Otherwise I  along with others are going to use version 10 on *nix from EnterpriseDB because that is easy to use
and easy to install.
Or I can use DBEAVER or just windows 10.

Anyway I just need to use the database and I am very happy with it. :)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:28 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

As Jonathan mentioned earlier, constructive feedback is welcome, but
we've moved pretty far from that at this point in the thread, and this
isn't really the appropriate list for pgAdmin anyway.

If you'd like to offer further constructive feedback, I encourage you
to provide specific technical comments to the appropriate list.  If you
have the skills and time to provide patches, even better.

There doesn't seem to be much more to discuss in this particular thread,
so let's end it here.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Health warning:

От
Justin
Дата:
Zahid

Open Source means Free Testing and Free code writing,  we all benefit.   You can write GUI pgadmin4 installer for  Linux

We welcome  CONSTRUCTIVE criticism  throwing up a link,  or snarky youtube video then  saying "see I'm right",  will not get traction with people it turns them off.  Remember we are doing this for FREE
Specifically how does EDB page support your position???

Enterprise DB maintains the windows installer as a give back to the Community and promote Postgresql..   Postgresql installers have come a long way over the years,  I remember a time when everything on Linux was  compile then install what a horrible amount of pain, Just getting the CD to boot  to install Linux could  take  days because of hardware issues.

When writing criticism first step,  Document the issue, and be specific,  take screen shots, note the issue clearly then post it..

Postgresql has several ways to note and document issues,  Mailing Lists, Wiki, IRC, create a Blog Post and post it on Planet.postgresql.org

99% of linux installers are done from the command line, and yes it goes horribly wrong at times.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM Adam Lipinski <ALipinski@exactal.com> wrote:
Zahid,

Please contribute, your view is important. Quoting a commercial enterprise and how they choose to spend their development resource is a moot point.

Best Regards,

Adam

By support you mean I should do free tests and let you know where the problem  are.

Anyway alot of talk but fail to address the issue , why a company  "EnterpriseDB"  has provided installer.  The fact I have not received  to my original  query means you are all using the free  installer or managed to install it with sheer luck.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:23 Gerald Cheves, <gcheves@verizon.net> wrote:
On 12/17/2019 10:17 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:
> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Internet Email Confidentiality Footer: This email and any files transmitted with it contain privileged/confidential information intended for the addressee. Neither the confidentiality of nor any privilege in the email is waived, lost or destroyed by reason that it has been transmitted other than to the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately.

Re: Health warning:

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> My constructive feedback is  pgadmin4 needs a  gui installer  like
> EnterpriseDB for version 11 and 12.

Personally, I'm not terribly interested in GUI installers, so I don't
plan to spend much time working on one for pgAdmin4, but I certainly
wouldn't complain if that's something you want to work on.

> Anyway I just need to use the database and I am very happy with it. :)

Glad to hear it!

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
The simple solution is that who ever is testing the pgadmin4  installation  , if they did it on a clean machine  , it would save alot of pain.

When I worked in a software house I followed this practice every time. For every project I did a clean install. I know it is time consuming. But it is a best practice needs to be followed.

Because I knew I may have a setting or software installed from previous project , so the user environment  would be different from development environment.

Linux still has problems. Fedora 31 has wifi driver but ubuntu doesn't so I am using USB wifi dongle with my new laptop.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:46 Justin, <zzzzz.graf@gmail.com> wrote:
Zahid

Open Source means Free Testing and Free code writing,  we all benefit.   You can write GUI pgadmin4 installer for  Linux

We welcome  CONSTRUCTIVE criticism  throwing up a link,  or snarky youtube video then  saying "see I'm right",  will not get traction with people it turns them off.  Remember we are doing this for FREE
Specifically how does EDB page support your position???

Enterprise DB maintains the windows installer as a give back to the Community and promote Postgresql..   Postgresql installers have come a long way over the years,  I remember a time when everything on Linux was  compile then install what a horrible amount of pain, Just getting the CD to boot  to install Linux could  take  days because of hardware issues.

When writing criticism first step,  Document the issue, and be specific,  take screen shots, note the issue clearly then post it..

Postgresql has several ways to note and document issues,  Mailing Lists, Wiki, IRC, create a Blog Post and post it on Planet.postgresql.org

99% of linux installers are done from the command line, and yes it goes horribly wrong at times.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM Adam Lipinski <ALipinski@exactal.com> wrote:
Zahid,

Please contribute, your view is important. Quoting a commercial enterprise and how they choose to spend their development resource is a moot point.

Best Regards,

Adam

By support you mean I should do free tests and let you know where the problem  are.

Anyway alot of talk but fail to address the issue , why a company  "EnterpriseDB"  has provided installer.  The fact I have not received  to my original  query means you are all using the free  installer or managed to install it with sheer luck.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:23 Gerald Cheves, <gcheves@verizon.net> wrote:
On 12/17/2019 10:17 AM, Zahid Rahman wrote:
> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Internet Email Confidentiality Footer: This email and any files transmitted with it contain privileged/confidential information intended for the addressee. Neither the confidentiality of nor any privilege in the email is waived, lost or destroyed by reason that it has been transmitted other than to the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately.

Re: Health warning:

От
Andrej
Дата:
That's a delightful rant but a) not constructive and b) directed at
the wrong crowd.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 05:04, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:

> The simple solution is that who ever is testing the pgadmin4  installation  , if they did it on a clean machine  , it
wouldsave alot of pain.

> When I worked in a software house I followed this practice every time. For every project I did a clean install. I
knowit is time consuming. But it is a best practice needs to be followed.

> Because I knew I may have a setting or software installed from previous project , so the user environment  would be
differentfrom development environment.

> Linux still has problems. Fedora 31 has wifi driver but ubuntu doesn't so I am using USB wifi dongle with my new
laptop.

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:46 Justin, <zzzzz.graf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Zahid
>>
>> Open Source means Free Testing and Free code writing,  we all benefit.   You can write GUI pgadmin4 installer for
Linux

>> We welcome  CONSTRUCTIVE criticism  throwing up a link,  or snarky youtube video then  saying "see I'm right",  will
notget traction with people it turns them off.  Remember we are doing this for FREE
>> Specifically how does EDB page support your position???
>>
>> Enterprise DB maintains the windows installer as a give back to the Community and promote Postgresql..   Postgresql
installershave come a long way over the years,  I remember a time when everything on Linux was  compile then install
whata horrible amount of pain, Just getting the CD to boot  to install Linux could  take  days because of hardware
issues.

>> When writing criticism first step,  Document the issue, and be specific,  take screen shots, note the issue clearly
thenpost it..

>> Postgresql has several ways to note and document issues,  Mailing Lists, Wiki, IRC, create a Blog Post and post it
onPlanet.postgresql.org

>> 99% of linux installers are done from the command line, and yes it goes horribly wrong at times.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM Adam Lipinski <ALipinski@exactal.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Zahid,
>>>
>>> Please contribute, your view is important. Quoting a commercial enterprise and how they choose to spend their
developmentresource is a moot point.

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Adam
>>>
>>> ________________________________

Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/email-style.html

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman

I know a database whose name begins with O that does this.

the user types:  psql  -U postgres

response:
PROBLEM: psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

SOLUTION: change "local  all all  peer" in file /etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf
to "local  all all  trust".create password then change  back.

Postgres database is better than the Big O. we agree.
Then we all become multi-millionares :)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 19:47, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
The original problem is same as

I have done two clean operating systems  and postgres pgadmin4.

16  emails but not one response to the problem I logged for two days.

I guess you all like to argue.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 18:47 Justin, <zzzzz.graf@gmail.com> wrote:
HI Zahid

After 16  emails I think we are getting close to  CONSTRUCTIVE  criticism and to a valid complaint, that needs to be addressed.  The point being made is, the  install scripts need some  validation code on paths, additional dependency checks, and better documentation on how the install process works for those that do not know APT, etc......

Take you points, document why the install went sideways/failed , what was done to fix it, and how these changes will fix the problem going forward..  I'm sure this will be taken care of...

AFter 16 emails no one  knows what is wrong with the Installer,  all we know
1: it sucks,
2: see this video for proof,
3: see this link that agrees ,
4: GUI is better
5: No one on pgadmin team can program,
6: now for the stern lecture on good programming ..

Do you see the breakdown in communication?  There is no substance/action item with the complaint.  Its just a complaint.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:22 PM Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:

> But how does a GUI installer fix an issue with a path, typos, missing dependencies, or mistakes the install scripts?   Is there a Linux GUI installer that works across all the flavors of Linux, what about  BSD, or MAC,

The answer is simpler then you think.

Look at this code . Even the though the variable is declared as Datasource with an if statement it is double checked for validation and constraint.

if (value instanceof DataSource)

I call it VALIDATION and CONSTRAINT code.
As application developers we provide drop lists where we can so we don't risk the user doing a typo. That's CONSTRAINT code. You can do same with command line argument. check for argv[1] content , don't just start execution based on the assumption the user typed correctly. I know the validation code will probably be 5 times more than the FUNCTIONAL code. That is necessary for good software.

VALIDATION / CONSTRAINT code will be far greater than functional code.

an example:
Don't just open a file .
Don't assume.
Check if the file is open first. That's validation code.

Check for path values to see if they exist , check for operating system. For example when you go to download page. You should go to download page appropriate for your operating system. That is a result of a check being made.

There is no reason why a GUI installer cant work across all *nix . Just validate the operating system then call the relevant source code.
There is no magic in programming. What will happen is exactly what you wrote will happen after you validated. If you did not validate, just started doing then that is like crossing the road without looking left or right. The user is the one who is getting run over by bus. That is to say the user has been thrown under a bus because the programmer did not look left ,right , listen.

This is my own personal view.
There are three components which make up good code or deliverable product.
FUNCTIONAL code.
VALIDATION code.
CONSTRAINT code.

I am always and sometimes for fun checking for functional code and validation. Once in a while one does come across software as a programming tool or an API which has all three components.

In your suggestion (MAC/BSD)  check for OS type then act appropriately. that's VALIDATION  code. Think of functional code without validation or constraint code as inappropriate or out of control behaviour.

Inappropriate  behaviour warrants a health warning  :)  don't you think  ?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 16:34 Justin, <zzzzz.graf@gmail.com> wrote:
Taking this off this list.  way of topic for Postgresql  Novice

You are right testing needs to be done on a clean install and done on a not so clean systems...

But how does a GUI installer fix an issue with a path, typos, missing dependencies, or mistakes the install scripts?   Is there a Linux GUI installer that works across all the flavors of Linux, what about  BSD, or MAC,

Pathing, system settings, and dependency hell aka DLL Hell have been around for decades,  no one has come up with a solution to this problem,  The latest attempt is to just hide the problem,  wrap everything in Virtual Environment,  Docker,  or something.   The problem does not go away it was just morphed into a new set of problems.

Consider the language GO,   it compiles all its dependency into a single  BIN/EXE file,  NOT a new idea,  Xbase languages did that years ago,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:04 AM Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Open source and community doesn't  have to mean *crap*   but it is free.

You don't have to contribute and, likewise, you shouldn't expect support
... because, as you have indicated, it is free.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Internet Email Confidentiality Footer: This email and any files transmitted with it contain privileged/confidential information intended for the addressee. Neither the confidentiality of nor any privilege in the email is waived, lost or destroyed by reason that it has been transmitted other than to the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately.

Дата:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> I know a database whose name begins with O that does this.

That doesn't make it a good idea.

> the user types:
> *psql  -U postgres *
>
> response:
> *PROBLEM: psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer
> authentication failed for user "postgres"*

This indicates that the user you're connecting as doesn't have
permission to log into the database as the 'postgres' user.

> *SOLUTION: change "local  all all  peer" in file
> /etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf *
> *to "local  all all  trust".create password then change  back.*

Using "trust" there actually means that you're able to log into the
database as any user and is terribly insecure.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install postgres.
Because there is no default password.
After you create a password.
Then you can reset from trust.

You also have to reboot your computer each time you change etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
at the very least restart the database.

With the big O you get a default  username: Scott.
Password:  tiger

Many people forget to reset the default password on the big O. user Scott has admin privileges.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 21:24 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> I know a database whose name begins with O that does this.

That doesn't make it a good idea.

> the user types:
> *psql  -U postgres *
>
> response:
> *PROBLEM: psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer
> authentication failed for user "postgres"*

This indicates that the user you're connecting as doesn't have
permission to log into the database as the 'postgres' user.

> *SOLUTION: change "local  all all  peer" in file
> /etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf *
> *to "local  all all  trust".create password then change  back.*

Using "trust" there actually means that you're able to log into the
database as any user and is terribly insecure.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: Health warning:

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install
> postgres.
> Because there is no default password.
> After you create a password.
> Then you can reset from trust.

No- peer auth allows the "postgres" unix user, which is the user that
the database runs as, to connect.

To do so, you would first "sudo su - postgres" and then run psql, and
then you'll be able to connect without any need for a password.  This is
exactly what 'peer' auth is for and how it works and it's quite secure.

There's no need to ever change the authentication method to be 'trust'
and I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.

> You also have to reboot your computer each time you change
> etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
> at the very least restart the database.

You don't have to restart the computer or the database when changes are
made to pg_hba.conf- you just need to issue a "reload".

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Health warning:

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 2:39 PM Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install postgres.
Because there is no default password.
After you create a password.
Then you can reset from trust.

If you have sufficient access to do this you can just login using the existing peer connection and change the password.  No configuration file changes are required nor recommended.

You also have to reboot your computer each time you change etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
at the very least restart the database.

Hardly.  Reloading configuration files on the fly is a thing.  The documentation describes how to do it.
David J.

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
Next time I have to do a fresh install Ill try your way  first.
If that doesn't work then Ill do it my way because that works.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 21:41, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install
> postgres.
> Because there is no default password.
> After you create a password.
> Then you can reset from trust.

No- peer auth allows the "postgres" unix user, which is the user that
the database runs as, to connect.

To do so, you would first "sudo su - postgres" and then run psql, and
then you'll be able to connect without any need for a password.  This is
exactly what 'peer' auth is for and how it works and it's quite secure.

There's no need to ever change the authentication method to be 'trust'
and I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.

> You also have to reboot your computer each time you change
> etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
> at the very least restart the database.

You don't have to restart the computer or the database when changes are
made to pg_hba.conf- you just need to issue a "reload".

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
 > I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.
Sir, nothing is really secure.
There is at least one person with full privileges.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 21:41 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install
> postgres.
> Because there is no default password.
> After you create a password.
> Then you can reset from trust.

No- peer auth allows the "postgres" unix user, which is the user that
the database runs as, to connect.

To do so, you would first "sudo su - postgres" and then run psql, and
then you'll be able to connect without any need for a password.  This is
exactly what 'peer' auth is for and how it works and it's quite secure.

There's no need to ever change the authentication method to be 'trust'
and I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.

> You also have to reboot your computer each time you change
> etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
> at the very least restart the database.

You don't have to restart the computer or the database when changes are
made to pg_hba.conf- you just need to issue a "reload".

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
Software crisis averted. PGADMIN4  working.

First I followed these instructions to download and  install software
only up to postgresql-server-dev-12. no further.

Then  I went to this website  by googling sudo apt-get install pgadmin4 apache

Don't forget to stop service apache server. sudo systemctl stop apache2 otherwise you will get a port clash with docker.
copied and pasted the following code changing the email and password.
To the one I put in  when prompted for and running command line sudo apt-get install pgadmin4 apache.
downloaded docker with snap.  sudo snap install docker
sudo docker pull dpage/pgadmin4
sudo docker run -p 80:80 \   -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=user@domain.com' \   -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=SuperSecret' \   -d dpage/pgadmin4
ran  sudo docker
sudo docker run -p 80:80     -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_EMAIL=zahidr1000@gmail.com'     -e 'PGADMIN_DEFAULT_PASSWORD=*******'     -d dpage/pgadmin4
Here is the KICKER. (not  http://127.0.0.1/pgadmin4)
go to browser and type http://127.0.0.1 and you will see the blue login screen prompting you for the
above email and password.

Who is the MAN  now ?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 22:28, Zahid Rahman <zahidr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
 > I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.
Sir, nothing is really secure.
There is at least one person with full privileges.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 21:41 Stephen Frost, <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Zahid Rahman (zahidr1000@gmail.com) wrote:
> You have to set to trust from peer the first time you download and install
> postgres.
> Because there is no default password.
> After you create a password.
> Then you can reset from trust.

No- peer auth allows the "postgres" unix user, which is the user that
the database runs as, to connect.

To do so, you would first "sudo su - postgres" and then run psql, and
then you'll be able to connect without any need for a password.  This is
exactly what 'peer' auth is for and how it works and it's quite secure.

There's no need to ever change the authentication method to be 'trust'
and I don't recommend doing so because it's very insecure.

> You also have to reboot your computer each time you change
> etc/postgresql/12/main/pg_hba.conf.
> at the very least restart the database.

You don't have to restart the computer or the database when changes are
made to pg_hba.conf- you just need to issue a "reload".

Thanks,

Stephen

Re[2]: Health warning:

От
Sanjay
Дата:
From: "Zahid Rahman" <zahidr1000@gmail.com>
... I know a database whose name begins with O that does this ...

GREATTTTTTTT!!!  Then why are you hanging out here?

---

Re: Re[2]: Health warning:

От
Zahid Rahman
Дата:
I'm unsubscribing in sympathy with 1p million  kashmiris in unhumane CURFEW.

... I know a database whose name begins with O that does this ...

GREATTTTTTTT!!!  Then why are you hanging out here?

---

Re: Re[2]: Health warning:

От
Renee
Дата:
Whether the person who posted this message is still on the list or not, I want to reiterate to everyone: As a community we don’t tolerate personal attacks. The person who sent this email has been guided in the past few days about community expectations for criticism.

The postgres community code of conduct provides further guidance here (https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/coc/), please note this section of it:

We encourage thoughtful, constructive discussion of the software and this community, their current state, and possible directions for development. The focus of our discussions should be the code and related technology, community projects, and infrastructure.

Personal attacks and negative comments on personal characteristics are unacceptable, and will not be permitted. Examples of personal characteristics include, but are not limited to age, race, national origin or ancestry, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

Thank you,
Renee