Обсуждение: How to transfer databases form one server to other

How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

VPS server has old Debian 6 Squeeze with Postgres 9.1
It has 24 databases.

Every night backup copies are created using pg_dump to /root/backups
directory for every database.
This directory has 24 .backup files with total size 37 GB.

I installed new VPS server with Debian 10 and Postgres 12.

How to transfer those databases to new server ?

Both server have ssh and root user, postgres port 5432  open,  100 MB
internet connection and fixed IP addresses. In night they are not used by
users, can stopped during move.

Should I download .backup files and use pg_restore or use pipe to restore
whole cluster.

Andrus.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/26/20 8:59 AM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> VPS server has old Debian 6 Squeeze with Postgres 9.1
> It has 24 databases.
>
> Every night backup copies are created using pg_dump to /root/backups
> directory for every database.
> This directory has 24 .backup files with total size 37 GB.
>
> I installed new VPS server with Debian 10 and Postgres 12.
>
> How to transfer those databases to new server ?

Before you do any of this I would check the Release Notes for the first
release of each major release. Prior to version 10 that would be X.X.x
where X is a major release. For 10+ that is X.x.  I would also test the
upgrade before doing it on your production setup.

Best practice if you are going the dump/restore route is to use the
pg_dump binary from the new server(12) to dump the old server(9.1)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

>Before you do any of this I would check the Release Notes for the first
>release of each major release. Prior to version 10 that would be X.X.x
>where X is a major release. For 10+ that is X.x.  I would also test the
>upgrade before doing it on your production setup.

I want to create test transfer first, check applications work and after that
final transfer.

>Best practice if you are going the dump/restore route is to use the pg_dump
>binary from the new server(12) to dump the old server(9.1)

Postgres version 12 pg_dump probably cannot installed in old server (Debian
Squeeze 9).
Running pg_dump in new server probably takes much more time since data is
read from uncompressed form and dumping is time-consuming process.
(internet connection between those server is fast, SSH copy speed was 800
Mbit (not 100 Mbit as I wrote), it took 5 minutes to copy 37 GB).

There are also some hundred of Postgresql login and group roles in old
server used also in access rights in databases.
Those needs transferred also.

My plan is:

1. Use pg_dump 9.1 in old server to create 24 .backup files in custom
format.
2. Use pgAdmin "backup globals" command to dump role definitions is old
server to text file.
3. Manually edit role definitions to delete role postgres since it exists in
new server.
4. Run edited role definitons script using pgadmin in new server to create
roles
5. Use Midnight Commander to copy 24 .backup files from old to new server
6. Use Postgres 12 pg_restore with job count 4 to restore  those 24
databases to new server sequentially.

To repeat transfer after testing:

1. Delete restored databases.
2. Delete imported roles in new server
3. Proceed 1-6 from plan again.

Questions:

1. pgAdmin allows only deletion roles one by one.
Deleting hundreds of roles is huge work.
How to invoke command like

DELETE ALL ROLES EXCEPT postgres

?
Is there some command, script or pgadmin GUI for this ?

2. Is it OK to restore from 9.1 backups or should I create backups using
pg_dump from Postgres 12 ?
I have done some minor testing and havent found issues.

3. How to create shell script which reads all files from /root/backup
directory from old server?
(I'm new to linux, this is not postgresql related question)

4. Are there some settings which can used to speed up restore process ? Will
turning fsync off during restore speed up it ?
New server has 11 GB ram . No other applications are running during database
transfer.
shared_buffer=1GB setting is currently used in postgresql.conf

5. Can this plan improved

Andrus.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/26/20 2:47 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Before you do any of this I would check the Release Notes for the
>> first release of each major release. Prior to version 10 that would be
>> X.X.x where X is a major release. For 10+ that is X.x.  I would also
>> test the upgrade before doing it on your production setup.
>
> I want to create test transfer first, check applications work and after
> that final transfer.
>
>> Best practice if you are going the dump/restore route is to use the
>> pg_dump binary from the new server(12) to dump the old server(9.1)
>
> Postgres version 12 pg_dump probably cannot installed in old server
> (Debian Squeeze 9).
> Running pg_dump in new server probably takes much more time since data
> is read from uncompressed form and dumping is time-consuming process.
> (internet connection between those server is fast, SSH copy speed was
> 800 Mbit (not 100 Mbit as I wrote), it took 5 minutes to copy 37 GB).

Test it and see how slow/fast it is.

> There are also some hundred of Postgresql login and group roles in old
> server used also in access rights in databases.
> Those needs transferred also.

pg_dumpall -g > globals.sql

will get you the global information. See:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pg-dumpall.html

More comment inline below.

> My plan is:
>
> 1. Use pg_dump 9.1 in old server to create 24 .backup files in custom
> format.
> 2. Use pgAdmin "backup globals" command to dump role definitions is old
> server to text file.
> 3. Manually edit role definitions to delete role postgres since it
> exists in new server.

No need, it will throw a harmless error message and continue on.

> 4. Run edited role definitons script using pgadmin in new server to
> create roles
> 5. Use Midnight Commander to copy 24 .backup files from old to new server
> 6. Use Postgres 12 pg_restore with job count 4 to restore  those 24
> databases to new server sequentially.
>
> To repeat transfer after testing:
>
> 1. Delete restored databases.
> 2. Delete imported roles in new server

That will probaly not end well. I'm guessing there are objects that have
a dependency on the the roles.

 From you questions above and below I would say you need to set up a
test bed and try an dump/restore on a single database. That will help
focus you on the actual problems. I'm guessing there will be more then
you have mentioned so far.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Ron
Дата:
On 1/26/20 7:30 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 1/26/20 2:47 PM, Andrus wrote:
Hi!

[...]

I ran uncompressed pg_dump on multiple TB+ sized databases from v8.4 servers across the LAN using 9.6 binaries on the remote server.  It was quite fast.  Threading was key.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
På mandag 27. januar 2020 kl. 03:26:59, skrev Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>:
[..]
I ran uncompressed pg_dump on multiple TB+ sized databases from v8.4 servers across the LAN using 9.6 binaries on the remote server.  It was quite fast.  Threading was key.

the "directory format" is the only format which supports parallel dumps, if I'm not reading it wrong.

How did threading solve "between database" dump/restore for you? Did you dump to "directory format" first, then restore? If so, then that requires quite a bit of temp-space...

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

>> 3. Manually edit role definitions to delete role postgres since it exists
>> in new server.
>No need, it will throw a harmless error message and continue on.

By my knowledge, pgAdmin executes script in single transaction and rolls it
back on error.
Should psql used or is there some option in pgadmin.

>> To repeat transfer after testing:
>>
>> 1. Delete restored databases.
>> 2. Delete imported roles in new server
>That will probaly not end well. I'm guessing there are objects that have a
>dependency on the the roles.

If imported databases are dropped before, there will be hopefully no
dependencies.

Andrus.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Ray O'Donnell
Дата:
On 26/01/2020 22:47, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Before you do any of this I would check the Release Notes for the
>> first release of each major release. Prior to version 10 that would be
>> X.X.x where X is a major release. For 10+ that is X.x.  I would also
>> test the upgrade before doing it on your production setup.
>
> I want to create test transfer first, check applications work and after
> that final transfer.
>
>> Best practice if you are going the dump/restore route is to use the
>> pg_dump binary from the new server(12) to dump the old server(9.1)
>
> Postgres version 12 pg_dump probably cannot installed in old server
> (Debian Squeeze 9).

I have it installed on my Debian 9 laptop, from the PostgreSQL apt repo:

  https://apt.postgresql.org

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Ron
Дата:
On 1/26/20 10:44 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
På mandag 27. januar 2020 kl. 03:26:59, skrev Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>:
[..]
I ran uncompressed pg_dump on multiple TB+ sized databases from v8.4 servers across the LAN using 9.6 binaries on the remote server.  It was quite fast.  Threading was key.

the "directory format" is the only format which supports parallel dumps, if I'm not reading it wrong.

How did threading solve "between database" dump/restore for you? Did you dump to "directory format" first, then restore?

Yes.

If so, then that requires quite a bit of temp-space...

Correct. The databases are mostly compressed TIFF and PDF images in bytea fields, so having Postgres try and compress them again was slow and used a lot of CPU.  Thus, I did uncompressed backups, and that took a lot of scratch disk space.

(We were not only upgrading Postgres 8.4 to 9.6, but also RHEL 5.10 to 6.10, and moving to a geographically distant data center.  Thus, I deemed pg_upgrade to be impractical.)

We spun up some VMs with 10 total TB in the same DC as the source (physical) servers, and I installed Pg 9.6 on these "intermediate servers", and did remote pg_dumps of the 8.4 servers.  Then I installed 9.6 on the VMs in the new DC, and NFS mounted the intermediate servers' volumes and ran multi-threaded pg_restore on the new servers.  They pulled the data across the WAN.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

>> Postgres version 12 pg_dump probably cannot installed in old server
>> (Debian Squeeze 9).

>I have it installed on my Debian 9 laptop, from the PostgreSQL apt repo:

>  https://apt.postgresql.org

Oled server uses Debian Sqeeze whose version is 6.
I mistakenly typed Debian Squeeze 9, I'm sorry.

Andrus.

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Ray O'Donnell
Дата:
On 27/01/2020 12:40, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>> Postgres version 12 pg_dump probably cannot installed in old server
>>> (Debian Squeeze 9).
>
>> I have it installed on my Debian 9 laptop, from the PostgreSQL apt repo:
>
>>  https://apt.postgresql.org
>
> Oled server uses Debian Sqeeze whose version is 6.
> I mistakenly typed Debian Squeeze 9, I'm sorry.

No problem! :-)

R.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/26/20 10:56 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>> 3. Manually edit role definitions to delete role postgres since it
>>> exists
>>> in new server.
>> No need, it will throw a harmless error message and continue on.
>
> By my knowledge, pgAdmin executes script in single transaction and rolls it
> back on error.
> Should psql used or is there some option in pgadmin.

There are options on pgAdmin:
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.17/restore_dialog.html
See:

Single transaction
Exit on error

Can't remember if you are taking a custom format backup or plain text.
If plain text you can use psql. If custom then will need to use pg_restore.

>>> To repeat transfer after testing:
>>>
>>> 1. Delete restored databases.
>>> 2. Delete imported roles in new server
>> That will probaly not end well. I'm guessing there are objects that
>> have a
>> dependency on the the roles.
>
> If imported databases are dropped before, there will be hopefully no
> dependencies.

Roles are global, dependencies can be local to a database. The issue is
if objects in a restored database depend on roles that no longer exist
in the global context.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to transfer databases form one server to other

От
basti
Дата:
Am 27.01.20 um 21:47 schrieb Adrian Klaver:
> On 1/26/20 10:56 PM, Andrus wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> No need, it will throw a harmless error message and continue on.
>>
>> By my knowledge, pgAdmin executes script in single transaction and
>> rolls it
>> back on error.
>> Should psql used or is there some option in pgadmin.
>
> There are options on pgAdmin:
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.17/restore_dialog.html
> See:
>
> Single transaction
> Exit on error
>
> Can't remember if you are taking a custom format backup or plain text.
> If plain text you can use psql. If custom then will need to use pg_restore.

I have no read the fill post but perhaps netcat or ssh tunnel can be an
option to tansfer db's from a to b.