Обсуждение: SPI Concurrency Precautions?

SPI Concurrency Precautions?

От
Tom Mercha
Дата:
Dear Hackers

I've been working on an extension and using SPI to execute some queries.
I am in a situation where I have the option to issue multiple queries
concurrently, ideally under same snapshot and transaction. In short, I
am achieving this by creating multiple dynamic background workers, each
one of them executing a query at the same time using
SPI_execute(sql_string, ...). To be more precise, sometimes I am also
opting to issue a 'CREATE TABLE AS <sql_query>' command, an SPI utility
command.

I was however wondering whether I can indeed achieve concurrency in this
way. My initial results are not showing much difference compared to a
not concurrent implementation. If there would be a large lock somewhere
in SPI implementation obviously this can be counterintuitive. What would
be the precautions I would need to consider when working with SPI in
this manner?

Thanks,
Tom

Re: SPI Concurrency Precautions? Problems with Parallel Execution ofMultiple CREATE TABLE statements

От
Tom Mercha
Дата:
On 17/02/2020 21:24, Tom Mercha wrote:
> Dear Hackers
>
> I've been working on an extension and using SPI to execute some queries.
> I am in a situation where I have the option to issue multiple queries
> concurrently, ideally under same snapshot and transaction. In short, I
> am achieving this by creating multiple dynamic background workers, each
> one of them executing a query at the same time using
> SPI_execute(sql_string, ...). To be more precise, sometimes I am also
> opting to issue a 'CREATE TABLE AS <sql_query>' command, an SPI utility
> command.
>
> I was however wondering whether I can indeed achieve concurrency in this
> way. My initial results are not showing much difference compared to a
> not concurrent implementation. If there would be a large lock somewhere
> in SPI implementation obviously this can be counterintuitive. What would
> be the precautions I would need to consider when working with SPI in
> this manner?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Dear Hackers

I have run some tests to try and better highlight my issue as I am still
struggling a lot with it.

I have 4 'CREATE TABLE AS' statements of this nature: "CREATE TABLE
<different_tbl_name> AS <same_query>". This means that I have different
table names for the same query.

I am spawning a number of dynamic background workers to execute each
statement. When I spawn 4 workers on a quad-core machine, the resutling
execution time per statement is {0.158s, 0.216s, 0.399s, 0.396s}.
However, when I have just one worker, the results are {0.151s, 0.141s,
0.146s, 0.136s}.

The way I am executing my statements is through SPI in each worker
(using a PG extension) as follows:
  SPI_connect();
  SPI_exec(queryString, 0);
  SPI_finish();
In both test cases, SPI_connect/finish are executed 4 times.

What I expect is that with 4 workers, each statements will take approx
0.15s to execute since they are independent from each other. This would
result in approx a 4x speedup. Despite seeing concurrency, I am seeing
that each invdividual statement will take longer to execute. I am
struggling to understand this behavior, what this suggests to me is that
there is a lock somewhere which completely defeats my purpose.

I was wondering how I could execute my CREATE TABLE statements in a
parallel fashion given that they are independent from each other. If the
lock is the problem, what steps could I take to relax it? I would
greatly appreciate any guidance or insights on this topic.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: SPI Concurrency Precautions? Problems with Parallel Execution ofMultiple CREATE TABLE statements

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 5:50 AM Tom Mercha <mercha_t@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am spawning a number of dynamic background workers to execute each
> statement. When I spawn 4 workers on a quad-core machine, the resutling
> execution time per statement is {0.158s, 0.216s, 0.399s, 0.396s}.
> However, when I have just one worker, the results are {0.151s, 0.141s,
> 0.146s, 0.136s}.
>
> The way I am executing my statements is through SPI in each worker
> (using a PG extension) as follows:
>   SPI_connect();
>   SPI_exec(queryString, 0);
>   SPI_finish();
> In both test cases, SPI_connect/finish are executed 4 times.
>
> What I expect is that with 4 workers, each statements will take approx
> 0.15s to execute since they are independent from each other. This would
> result in approx a 4x speedup. Despite seeing concurrency, I am seeing
> that each invdividual statement will take longer to execute. I am
> struggling to understand this behavior, what this suggests to me is that
> there is a lock somewhere which completely defeats my purpose.
>
> I was wondering how I could execute my CREATE TABLE statements in a
> parallel fashion given that they are independent from each other. If the
> lock is the problem, what steps could I take to relax it? I would
> greatly appreciate any guidance or insights on this topic.

Well, I'm not altogether sure that your expectations are realistic.
Rarely do things parallelize perfectly. In a case like this, some time
is probably being spent doing disk I/O. When multiple processes do CPU
work at the same time, you should be able to see near-linear speedup,
but when multiple processes do disk I/O at the same time, you may see
no speedup at all, or even a slowdown, because of the way that disks
work. This seems especially likely given how short the queries are and
the fact that they create a new table, which involves an fsync()
operation.

It's possible that if you run a query to select the wait events from
pg_stat_activity, maybe using psql's \watch with a fractional value,
you might be able to see something about what those queries are
actually spending time on. It's also possible that you might get more
interesting results if you have things that run for longer than a few
hundred milliseconds. But in general I would question the assumption
that this ought to scale well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company