Обсуждение: add types to index storage params on doc

add types to index storage params on doc

От
Atsushi Torikoshi
Дата:
Hi,

The current manual on CREATE TABLE[1] describes storage
parameters with their types.
But manual on CREATE INDEX[2] describes storage parameters
WITHOUT their types.

I think it'll be better to add types to storage parameters
on CREATE INDEX for the consistency.

Attached a patch.
Any thought?

[1]https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS
[2]https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-createindex.html#SQL-CREAT`INDEX-STORAGE-PARAMETERS

Regards,
--
Torikoshi Atsushi
Вложения

Re: add types to index storage params on doc

От
Fujii Masao

On 2020/03/16 11:09, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current manual on CREATE TABLE[1] describes storage
> parameters with their types.
> But manual on CREATE INDEX[2] describes storage parameters
> WITHOUT their types.
>
> I think it'll be better to add types to storage parameters
> on CREATE INDEX for the consistency.
>
> Attached a patch.
> Any thought?

Thanks for the patch! It basically looks good to me.

Isn't it better to use "enum" rather than "string"?
In the docs about enum GUC parameters, "enum" is used there.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: add types to index storage params on doc

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it'll be better to add types to storage parameters
> on CREATE INDEX for the consistency.

Seems reasonable to me.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: add types to index storage params on doc

От
Atsushi Torikoshi
Дата:
Thanks for your comments!

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

Isn't it better to use "enum" rather than "string"?
In the docs about enum GUC parameters, "enum" is used there.

Agreed. I've fixed it to "enum".

But I'm now wondering about the type of check_option[3], [4].
Because I decide the type to "string" referring to check_option, which is
the other element of  enumRelOpts in reloptions.c.

Should I also change it to "enum"?

Regards,
--
Torikoshi Atsushi
Вложения

Re: add types to index storage params on doc

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2020-Mar-16, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:

> Thanks for your comments!
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com>
> wrote:

> > Isn't it better to use "enum" rather than "string"?
> > In the docs about enum GUC parameters, "enum" is used there.
>
> Agreed. I've fixed it to "enum".
>
> But I'm now wondering about the type of check_option[3], [4].
> Because I decide the type to "string" referring to check_option, which is
> the other element of  enumRelOpts in reloptions.c.
>
> Should I also change it to "enum"?

Yeah, these were strings until recently (commit 773df883e8f7 Sept 2019).

Re: add types to index storage params on doc

От
Atsushi Torikoshi
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:32 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Should I also change it to "enum"?

Yeah, these were strings until recently (commit 773df883e8f7 Sept 2019).

Thanks!

Attached a patch for manuals on create and alter view.

check_option is also described in information_schema.sgml
and its type is 'character_data', but as far as I read
information_schema.sql this is correct and it seems no
need for modification here.

Regards,
--

On 2020/03/17 14:52, Atsushi Torikoshi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:32 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>

>      > Should I also change it to "enum"?
>
>     Yeah, these were strings until recently (commit 773df883e8f7 Sept 2019).
>

> Thanks!
>
> Attached a patch for manuals on create and alter view.
>
> check_option is also described in information_schema.sgml
> and its type is 'character_data', but as far as I read
> information_schema.sql this is correct and it seems no
> need for modification here.

Thanks for the patch!
I pushed two patches that you posted in this thread. Thanks!

Regards,