Обсуждение: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
I would like to know if there is any parameter I can set to force postgres to switch xlog periodically, even if it not reach the 16MB size?

Thanks,

Edson.

Re: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Abdul Sayeed
Дата:
Hi Edson,

You can switch by using below command below PG 10.

Select pg_switch_xlog();

And there is no parameter present to switch it.

Regards,
Abdul Sayeed

--
Thanks & Regards,
Abdul Sayeed

Re: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2020-Apr-02, Abdul Sayeed wrote:

> Hi Edson,
>
> You can switch by using below command below PG 10.
>
> Select pg_switch_xlog();
>
> And there is no parameter present to switch it.

IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.

RE: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Edson Richter

> You can switch by using below command below PG 10.
>
> Select pg_switch_xlog();
>
> And there is no parameter present to switch it.

IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.

I would assume that "archive_mode" must be "on" or "always" - but I do have "archive_mode=off".

Regards,

Edson

Re: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
David Steele
Дата:
On 4/1/20 7:19 PM, Edson Richter wrote:

>     IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.
>
> I would assume that "archive_mode" must be "on" or "always" - but I do
> have "archive_mode=off".

I'm not sure what the point of switching the WAL segment would be with
archive_mode=off.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Wed, 1 Apr 2020 21:09:20 -0400, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote in
> On 4/1/20 7:19 PM, Edson Richter wrote:
> >     IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.
> > I would assume that "archive_mode" must be "on" or "always" - but I do
> > have "archive_mode=off".
>
> I'm not sure what the point of switching the WAL segment would be with
> archive_mode=off.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?

Also I'm a bit curious about that, but anyway archive_timeout works
even with archive_mode=off. The name looks being a bit off of its
substance.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

RE: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Edson Richter

>     IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.
>
> I would assume that "archive_mode" must be "on" or "always" - but I do
> have "archive_mode=off".

I'm not sure what the point of switching the WAL segment would be with
archive_mode=off.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Actually, I do have a stand by server I wish to update a bit more frequently in low traffic servers.

Regards,

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

RE: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Edson Richter

> >     IIRC archive_timeout does precisely that.
> > I would assume that "archive_mode" must be "on" or "always" - but I do
> > have "archive_mode=off".
>
> I'm not sure what the point of switching the WAL segment would be with
> archive_mode=off.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?

Also I'm a bit curious about that, but anyway archive_timeout works
even with archive_mode=off. The name looks being a bit off of its
substance.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Good to know!
But meanwhile I've wrote a small bash script that executs pg_switch_xlog() and scheduled it in Crond.

Regards,

Edson

Re: It is possible to force periodically switch xlog?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2020-Apr-02, Edson Richter wrote:

> Actually, I do have a stand by server I wish to update a bit more
> frequently in low traffic servers.

It is better to use streaming replication for that.  Using the WAL
archive for that is an archaic mechanism now.