Обсуждение: It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

От
ikedamsh
Дата:
Hi,

The document(high-availability.sgml) says that there are only two ways
to exit standby mode.

 26.2.2. Standby Server Operation
 Standby mode is exited and the server switches to normal operation when
pg_ctl promote is run or a trigger file is found (promote_trigger_file).

But there is another way, by calling pg_promote function.
I think we need to document it, doesn't it?

I attached a patch. Please review and let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Masahiro Ikeda
Вложения

Re: It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

От
Fujii Masao

On 2020/04/17 13:11, ikedamsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The document(high-availability.sgml) says that there are only two ways to exit standby mode.
>
>  26.2.2. Standby Server Operation
>  Standby mode is exited and the server switches to normal operation when pg_ctl promote is run or a trigger file is
found(promote_trigger_file).

> But there is another way, by calling pg_promote function.
> I think we need to document it, doesn't it?
>
> I attached a patch. Please review and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Re: It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:40:02PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
> Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.

+1.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 13:54 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:40:02PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
> > Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.
>
> +1.

+1.  That was my omission in the original patch.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: It is not documented that pg_promote can exit standby mode

Дата:
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
> Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.

It might be worth writing "<function>pg_promote()</function> is called"
(adding parentheses) to make it clearer that a function is being
referred to.  No objection otherwise.

            regards, tom lane

On 2020/04/18 2:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
>> Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
>> Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.
>
> It might be worth writing "<function>pg_promote()</function> is called"
> (adding parentheses) to make it clearer that a function is being
> referred to.  No objection otherwise.

Yes. Also Masahiro-san reported me, off-list, that there are other places
where pg_promote is mentioned without parentheses. I think it's better to
add parentheses there. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Regards,

--

On 2020/04/20 20:38, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/04/18 2:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
>>> Thanks for the report and the patch! It looks good to me.
>>> Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.
>>
>> It might be worth writing "<function>pg_promote()</function> is called"
>> (adding parentheses) to make it clearer that a function is being
>> referred to.  No objection otherwise.
>
> Yes. Also Masahiro-san reported me, off-list, that there are other places
> where pg_promote is mentioned without parentheses. I think it's better to
> add parentheses there. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Pushed. Thanks!

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

change a function name in a comment correctly

От
Masahiro Ikeda
Дата:
Hi,

There is the comment which related function name is not same.
I attached the patch to fix it. Please review.

Regards,

--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: change a function name in a comment correctly

От
Fujii Masao

On 2020/07/07 11:50, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is the comment which related function name is not same.
> I attached the patch to fix it. Please review.

Thanks for the report and patch! LGTM.
I will commit this later.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: change a function name in a comment correctly

От
Masahiro Ikeda
Дата:
>> There is the comment which related function name is not same.
>> I attached the patch to fix it. Please review.
>
> Thanks for the report and patch! LGTM.
> I will commit this later.

Thanks for checking.

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION

On 2020/07/08 8:12, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:
>>> There is the comment which related function name is not same.
>>> I attached the patch to fix it. Please review.
>>
>> Thanks for the report and patch! LGTM.
>> I will commit this later.

Pushed. Thanks!

Regards,