Обсуждение: Help with plpython3u

Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
Hello!

I'm cracking my head while trying to make python language work within postges. I executed "create extension plpython3u" but I get this error:

"ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not be found. SQL state: 58P01"

Looking into several stackoverflow pages and asking like everywhere, I also installed dependency walker and saw that python37.dll was required. My PC already has python 3.7.4, but I don't know if that is an issue and postgres requires python 3.7.0 strictly.

I also copied the python37.dll file directly in the System32 folder, as some pages suggested. That actually made it possible to run the " create extension plpython3u ", but when I try to create a simple function like:

"CREATE FUNCTION pymax (a integer, b integer)
  RETURNS integer
AS $$
  if a > b:
    return a
  return b
$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u;"

The server crashes and I get this message: "Connection to the server has been lost."

Some additional information:
- My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)
- The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with Anaconda
- Postgres version is 12.2-1. pgAdmin is 4.18

Please, help me :(
Regards,
PS

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/9/20 5:09 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm cracking my head while trying to make python language work within
> postges. I executed "*create extension plpython3u*" but I get this error:
>
> "*ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not
> be found. SQL state: 58P01*"
>
> Looking into several stackoverflow pages and asking like everywhere, I
> also installed dependency walker and saw that python37.dll was required.
> My PC already has python 3.7.4, but I don't know if that is an issue and
> postgres requires python 3.7.0 strictly.
>
> I also copied the python37.dll file directly in the System32 folder, as
> some pages suggested. That actually made it possible to run the
> "* create extension plpython3u* ", but when I try to create a simple
> function like:
>
> "*CREATE FUNCTION pymax (a integer, b integer)*
> *  RETURNS integer
> AS $$
>    if a > b:
>      return a
>    return b
> *
> *$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u*;"
>
> The server crashes and I get this message: "*Connection to the server
> has been lost*."
>
> Some additional information:
> - My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)

How did you install Postgres?

> - The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with Anaconda

Unless things have changed since the last time I used Anaconda, it
basically creates virtualenvs for it's installs. So when you refer to
the Python dll above are you talking about a system installed one or one
from within the Anaconda environment?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
Hi Adrian,

I installed Postgres downloading the file posgresql-12.2-1-windows-x64 from the website https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/

The python37.dll I copied to the System32 folder was located in C:\Users\developer\Anaconda3.
After trying this, I installed python 3.7.0 and copied the python37.dll that comes with the installation, but got the same result.

Thanks,
PS

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/9/20 5:26 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I installed Postgres downloading the file posgresql-12.2-1-windows-x64
> from the website https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/.

Did you go through the steps here?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/postgresql/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/toc.html

> [...]
>      >    return b
>      > *
>      > *$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u*;"
>      >
>      > The server crashes and I get this message: "*Connection to the
>     server
>      > has been lost*."
>      >
>      > Some additional information:
>      > - My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)
>
>     How did you install Postgres?
>
>      > - The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with Anaconda
>
>     Unless things have changed since the last time I used Anaconda, it
>     basically creates virtualenvs for it's installs. So when you refer to
>     the Python dll above are you talking about a system installed one or
>     one
>     from within the Anaconda environment?
>
>      > - Postgres version is 12.2-1. pgAdmin is 4.18

Дата:
Thanks Adrian, this actually helped me. I was looking for the "language pack" thing without any success and thanks god that you pointed me in the right direction :)

What I don't understand is the following. After installing the language pack with stack builder, added a variable named "PYTHONHOME" with its path (C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7) and then added PYTHONHOME and the full path to the PATH variable. After that, I restarted the server as requested but nothing happened. Then I added "%" to the beginning and the end of PYTHONHOME and C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7, restarted the server and then it worked. Why is that?

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to import specific python libraries? For example, I would like to use the talib library, which can be downloaded and installed. Or a custom library made by myself. And how can I import other python libraries, like scikit learn? Where can I find information about this?

Thank you so much for your help!! :D
PS

El mar., 9 jun. 2020 a las 20:37, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
> [...]

>      >    return b
>      > *
>      > *$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u*;"
>      >
>      > The server crashes and I get this message: "*Connection to the
>     server
>      > has been lost*."
>      >
>      > Some additional information:
>      > - My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)
>
>     How did you install Postgres?
>
>      > - The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with Anaconda
>
>     Unless things have changed since the last time I used Anaconda, it
>     basically creates virtualenvs for it's installs. So when you refer to
>     the Python dll above are you talking about a system installed one or
>     one
>     from within the Anaconda environment?
>
>      > - Postgres version is 12.2-1. pgAdmin is 4.18

Дата:
On 6/9/20 6:17 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Thanks Adrian, this actually helped me. I was looking for the "language
> pack" thing without any success and thanks god that you pointed me in
> the right direction :)
>
> What I don't understand is the following. After installing the language
> pack with stack builder, added a variable named "PYTHONHOME" with its
> path (C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7) and then added PYTHONHOME and
> the full path to the PATH variable. After that, I restarted the server
> as requested but nothing happened. Then I added "%" to the beginning and
> the end of PYTHONHOME and C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7, restarted
> the server and then it worked. Why is that?

For explanation see here:

https://docs.python.org/3.7/using/windows.html
3.6.1. Excursus: Setting environment variables

> Also, I would like to know if it is possible to import specific python
> libraries? For example, I would like to use the talib library, which can
> be downloaded and installed. Or a custom library made by myself. And how
> can I import other python libraries, like scikit learn? Where can I find
> information about this?

Yes you can import libraries/packages. The issue is where you are
installing them, in the system or the Anaconda environment. I don't work
with Windows much anymore, so I am not up on how to grab a library from
within an Anaconda environment. Maybe someone else can help or you might
ask the Anaconda forum:

https://groups.google.com/a/anaconda.com/forum/#!forum/anaconda

> [...]
>      >      >
>      >      > Some additional information:
>      >      > - My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)
>      >
>      >     How did you install Postgres?
>      >
>      >      > - The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with
>     Anaconda
>      >
>      >     Unless things have changed since the last time I used
>     Anaconda, it
>      >     basically creates virtualenvs for it's installs. So when you
>     refer to
>      >     the Python dll above are you talking about a system installed
>     one or
>      >     one
>      >     from within the Anaconda environment?
>      >
>      >      > - Postgres version is 12.2-1. pgAdmin is 4.18

Дата:
Thank you, Adrian. Will read about all this. By the way, the issue reappeared. For some reason, I had to reinstall Anaconda and had to delete the "PYTHONHOME" variable because I could not launch conda.
Seems that they both fight for the same variable name?
Is there a way to set it to two different names?

Thanks,
PS

El mar., 9 jun. 2020 a las 22:16, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
> [...]

>      >      >
>      >      > Some additional information:
>      >      > - My PC is running windows server 2019 64 bits (its a vps)
>      >
>      >     How did you install Postgres?
>      >
>      >      > - The python version I have is 3.7.4. Installed it with
>     Anaconda
>      >
>      >     Unless things have changed since the last time I used
>     Anaconda, it
>      >     basically creates virtualenvs for it's installs. So when you
>     refer to
>      >     the Python dll above are you talking about a system installed
>     one or
>      >     one
>      >     from within the Anaconda environment?
>      >
>      >      > - Postgres version is 12.2-1. pgAdmin is 4.18

Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Tue, 2020-06-09 at 20:26 -0400, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> I installed Postgres downloading the file posgresql-12.2-1-windows-x64 from the website
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/.

> The python37.dll I copied to the System32 folder was located in C:\Users\developer\Anaconda3.
> After trying this, I installed python 3.7.0 and copied the python37.dll that comes with the installation, but got the
sameresult.

Do not copy libraries around.  That's a road to hell.
Instead, add them to the PATH.
The library might depend on something else at the original location.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/9/20 10:38 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Thank you, Adrian. Will read about all this. By the way, the issue
> reappeared. For some reason, I had to reinstall Anaconda and had to
> delete the "PYTHONHOME" variable because I could not launch conda.
> Seems that they both fight for the same variable name?
> Is there a way to set it to two different names?

See below for more information:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/faq/#installing-anaconda

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
Thank you Adrian, will see the link you sent me.

Thank you, Laurenz. I noticed that copying the DLL is not a good idea.
How can I set a python path for postgres, so that I tell postgres "hey, if you are looking for python see this path" and don't lose conda? Because after following all Adrian's instructions and  after creating the variable"PYTHONHOME = C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7" and adding %PYTHONHOME% to the PATH, I get this message when I open Anaconda Prompt:
"File "C:\Users\developer\Anaconda3\Scripts\conda-script.py", line 11, in <module> from conda.cli import main ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'conda'"

Then, I removed the variable name PYTHONHOME and tried to execute again Anaconda Prompt without any problem. So I think that postgres and conda are like "fighting" for the PYTHONHOME variable name? Is this correct?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/10/20 7:39 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Thank you Adrian, will see the link you sent me.
>
> Thank you, Laurenz. I noticed that copying the DLL is not a good idea.
> How can I set a python path for postgres, so that I tell postgres "hey,
> if you are looking for python see this path" and don't lose conda?
> Because after following all Adrian's instructions and  after creating
> the variable"*PYTHONHOME = C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7*" and

Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#

> adding *%PYTHONHOME%* to the *PATH, *I get this message when I open
> Anaconda Prompt:
> *"File "C:\Users\developer\Anaconda3\Scripts\conda-script.py", line 11,
> in <module> from conda.cli import main ModuleNotFoundError: No module
> named 'conda'"*

So when you did the Anaconda install:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/

What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?

> *
> *
> Then, I removed the variable name PYTHONHOME and tried to execute again
> Anaconda Prompt without any problem. So I think that postgres and conda
> are like "fighting" for the PYTHONHOME variable name? Is this correct?
>
> El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 10:08, Adrian Klaver
> (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>) escribió:
>
>     On 6/9/20 10:38 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
>      > Thank you, Adrian. Will read about all this. By the way, the issue
>      > reappeared. For some reason, I had to reinstall Anaconda and had to
>      > delete the "PYTHONHOME" variable because I could not launch conda.
>      > Seems that they both fight for the same variable name?
>      > Is there a way to set it to two different names?
>
>     See below for more information:
>
>     https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/faq/#installing-anaconda
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > PS
>      >
>      >

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#

Yes. When I did that I could execute python functions and create the extension in postgres without problem, but later I realized that doing this will create the other problem with anaconda.

So when you did the Anaconda install:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/

What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?

I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which is the default settings.

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 10:50, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
On 6/10/20 7:39 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Thank you Adrian, will see the link you sent me.
>
> Thank you, Laurenz. I noticed that copying the DLL is not a good idea.
> How can I set a python path for postgres, so that I tell postgres "hey,
> if you are looking for python see this path" and don't lose conda?
> Because after following all Adrian's instructions and  after creating
> the variable"*PYTHONHOME = C:\edb\languagepack\v1\Python-3.7*" and

Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#

> adding *%PYTHONHOME%* to the *PATH, *I get this message when I open
> Anaconda Prompt:
> *"File "C:\Users\developer\Anaconda3\Scripts\conda-script.py", line 11,
> in <module> from conda.cli import main ModuleNotFoundError: No module
> named 'conda'"*

So when you did the Anaconda install:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/

What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?

> *
> *
> Then, I removed the variable name PYTHONHOME and tried to execute again
> Anaconda Prompt without any problem. So I think that postgres and conda
> are like "fighting" for the PYTHONHOME variable name? Is this correct?
>
> El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 10:08, Adrian Klaver
> (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>) escribió:
>
>     On 6/9/20 10:38 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
>      > Thank you, Adrian. Will read about all this. By the way, the issue
>      > reappeared. For some reason, I had to reinstall Anaconda and had to
>      > delete the "PYTHONHOME" variable because I could not launch conda.
>      > Seems that they both fight for the same variable name?
>      > Is there a way to set it to two different names?
>
>     See below for more information:
>
>     https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/faq/#installing-anaconda
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > PS
>      >
>      >
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>     adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/10/20 8:25 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#

> Yes. When I did that I could execute python functions and create the
> extension in postgres without problem, but later I realized that doing
> this will create the other problem with anaconda.
>
> So when you did the Anaconda install:
>
> https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/
>
> What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?
>
> I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which is the
> default settings.

Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
your needs are. So:

1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
set of libraries it provides?

2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
Anaconda does not provide?

3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
your needs are. So:

1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
set of libraries it provides?

A: For the data science set of libraries. Also, it helps to keep libraries updated.

2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
Anaconda does not provide?

A: I don't know if I understood well this question, but I think the answer is no. Anaconda does provide almost all the libraries I need. I just installed a couple more (like talib, tensorflow, keras, psycopg2, etc) and created some libraries of my own.

3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

A: I'm planning to create some functions using python language to process data that is stored in real time in the database and then use them as triggers. I would like to be able to import some libraries that I have in python to do it. Some of the functions are fourier and wavelet transforms. If I can't import the library, then I'll have to code the full function, but it's easier (for me) to code them in python language rather than sql language.

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 12:17, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
On 6/10/20 8:25 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:
>
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#
>
> Yes. When I did that I could execute python functions and create the
> extension in postgres without problem, but later I realized that doing
> this will create the other problem with anaconda.
>
> So when you did the Anaconda install:
>
> https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/
>
> What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?
>
> I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which is the
> default settings.

Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
your needs are. So:

1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
set of libraries it provides?

2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
Anaconda does not provide?

3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/10/20 9:57 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
> your needs are. So:
>
> 1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
> set of libraries it provides?
>
> A: For the data science set of libraries. Also, it helps to keep
> libraries updated.
>
> 2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
> Anaconda does not provide?
>
> A: I don't know if I understood well this question, but I think the
> answer is no. Anaconda does provide almost all the libraries I need. I
> just installed a couple more (like talib, tensorflow, keras, psycopg2,
> etc) and created some libraries of my own.

Those libraries are available from Anaconda:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/packages/py3.7_win-64/

or from AnacondaCloud:

https://anaconda.org/

I just think it would make your life easier to reduce the number of
Python installs you have. If I'm keeping track correctly you now have:

1) Anaconda Python

2) OS system Python

3) EDB Python.

What happens if you try to create a plpythonu3u function in the database?

> 3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?
>
> A: I'm planning to create some functions using python language to
> process data that is stored in real time in the database and then use
> them as triggers. I would like to be able to import some libraries that
> I have in python to do it. Some of the functions are fourier and wavelet
> transforms. If I can't import the library, then I'll have to code the
> full function, but it's easier (for me) to code them in python language
> rather than sql language.
>
> El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 12:17, Adrian Klaver
> (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>) escribió:
>
>     On 6/10/20 8:25 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
>      > Just to be clear those where instructions from here, correct?:
>      >
>      >

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/edb-postgres-advanced-server/user-guides/language-pack-guide/12/EDB_Postgres_Language_Pack_Guide.1.08.html#
>      >
>      > Yes. When I did that I could execute python functions and create the
>      > extension in postgres without problem, but later I realized that
>     doing
>      > this will create the other problem with anaconda.
>      >
>      > So when you did the Anaconda install:
>      >
>      > https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/
>      >
>      > What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?
>      >
>      > I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which
>     is the
>      > default settings.
>      >

>     Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
>     your needs are. So:
>
>     1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
>     set of libraries it provides?
>
>     2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
>     Anaconda does not provide?
>
>     3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
I just think it would make your life easier to reduce the number of
Python installs you have. If I'm keeping track correctly you now have:

1) Anaconda Python

2) OS system Python

3) EDB Python.

The OS is windows, and afaik python is not included in windows, so it would be just Anaconda python and EDB python.

What happens if you try to create a plpythonu3u function in the database?

The database crashes and tells me "Connection to the server has been lost.

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 13:12, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
> [...]

>      >
>      > So when you did the Anaconda install:
>      >
>      > https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/
>      >
>      > What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?
>      >
>      > I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which
>     is the
>      > default settings.
>      >
>
>     Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
>     your needs are. So:
>
>     1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
>     set of libraries it provides?
>
>     2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
>     Anaconda does not provide?
>
>     3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

Дата:
I'm sorry, when I try to create a plpython3u function, the database tells me:

"ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not
be found. SQL state: 58P01
"

If I try to execute the function, then the database crashes.

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 13:36, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO (<ppseverin@miuandes.cl>) escribió:
> [...]

>      >
>      > So when you did the Anaconda install:
>      >
>      > https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/
>      >
>      > What did you check for the Advanced options in Step 8?
>      >
>      > I left the first one unchecked and the second one checked, which
>     is the
>      > default settings.
>      >
>
>     Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to determine what
>     your needs are. So:
>
>     1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the science data
>     set of libraries it provides?
>
>     2) Do you need the system Python you installed for anything that
>     Anaconda does not provide?
>
>     3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

Дата:
On 6/10/20 10:39 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> I'm sorry, when I try to create a plpython3u function, the database
> tells me:
>
> "*ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not
> be found. SQL state: 58P01*"
>
> If I try to execute the function, then the database crashes.

Alright I'm going to have to review where we are at. That will not
happen for a bit, so hang on.

> [...]
>          >      >
>          >      > I left the first one unchecked and the second one
>         checked, which
>          >     is the
>          >      > default settings.
>          >      >
>          >
>          >     Alright. Before we go any further it would be best to
>         determine what
>          >     your needs are. So:
>          >
>          >     1) Did you install Anaconda just to get Python or for the
>         science data
>          >     set of libraries it provides?
>          >
>          >     2) Do you need the system Python you installed for
>         anything that
>          >     Anaconda does not provide?
>          >
>          >     3) What are you planning to do with plpython3u?

Дата:
On 6/10/20 10:39 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> I'm sorry, when I try to create a plpython3u function, the database
> tells me:
>
> "*ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not
> be found. SQL state: 58P01*"
>
> If I try to execute the function, then the database crashes.

Alright that was not fun. I pulled up an Windows 7 machine and installed
Anaconda and Postgres from EDB. I installed Anaconda with the defaults
you mentioned. I could not get Anaconda and Postgres to work together
with regards to Python. As you have found the PYTHONHOME setting
Postgres needs is picked up by Anaconda and prevents it from starting.
Dropping PYTHONHOME  allows Anaconda to work but causes plpython3u to
fail. To me the solution would be to have something like EDB_PYTHONHOME
that only the Postgres install would use. I could not find anything like
that though. I'm out of ideas. I now remember why I don't use Windows:(
I was going to point you at the EDB forums, but they don't exist
anymore. I guess you have to ask questions on Stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/enterprisedb

I would try there.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO
Дата:
something like EDB_PYTHONHOME
that only the Postgres install would use.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Isn't a way to configure some postgres file, so that postgres would use that file and look for python in that directory before seeing the path?

I guess you have to ask questions on Stackoverflow

Stackoverflow was the first place where I asked this, but with less knowledge than now. Maybe now I can ask a more concrete question about paths.

Anyways, thank you very much for your time, Adrian. I really appreciate it. If I manage to solve this I'll let you know, so if anyone else has the same problem.

El mié., 10 jun. 2020 a las 18:19, Adrian Klaver (<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>) escribió:
On 6/10/20 10:39 AM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> I'm sorry, when I try to create a plpython3u function, the database
> tells me:
>
> "*ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/12/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not
> be found. SQL state: 58P01*"
>
> If I try to execute the function, then the database crashes.

Alright that was not fun. I pulled up an Windows 7 machine and installed
Anaconda and Postgres from EDB. I installed Anaconda with the defaults
you mentioned. I could not get Anaconda and Postgres to work together
with regards to Python. As you have found the PYTHONHOME setting
Postgres needs is picked up by Anaconda and prevents it from starting.
Dropping PYTHONHOME  allows Anaconda to work but causes plpython3u to
fail. To me the solution would be to have something like EDB_PYTHONHOME
that only the Postgres install would use. I could not find anything like
that though. I'm out of ideas. I now remember why I don't use Windows:(
I was going to point you at the EDB forums, but they don't exist
anymore. I guess you have to ask questions on Stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/enterprisedb

I would try there.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Help with plpython3u

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/10/20 4:35 PM, PEDRO PABLO SEVERIN HONORATO wrote:
> something like EDB_PYTHONHOME
> that only the Postgres install would use.
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for. Isn't a way to configure some
> postgres file, so that postgres would use that file and look for python
> in that directory before seeing the path?

That is not something that is native to Postgres. The issue is that EDB
bundles a Python version with the Language Pack and points the
plpython(3)u extensions at it. I understand that, as they can't count on
Python being installed as in Unix(en) OS'es or invoke a package manager
to satisfy the dependency. The problem is when you do install some other
form of Python on your Windows machine. Then you get the conflicts.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com