Обсуждение: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger in sql-createtrigger.html#examples

Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger in sql-createtrigger.html#examples

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/bug-reporting.html

Hi
I was stumbling across the trigger function
‘suppress_redundant_updates_trigger’ in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-trigger.html and I would
just ask if there is any reason of this not being int the documentation in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-createtrigger.html.
So after

Call a function to log updates of accounts, but only if something changed:

CREATE TRIGGER log_update
    AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
    FOR EACH ROW
    WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)
    EXECUTE FUNCTION log_account_update();

There could be an alternative implementation as well

CREATE TRIGGER log_update
    AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
    FOR EACH ROW
    EXECUTE FUNCTION log_account_update();

CREATE TRIGGER suppress_redundant_account_after_updates
AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION suppress_redundant_updates_trigger();

Just to introduce and like the feature.

Thank you for your great work best regards

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger insql-createtrigger.html#examples

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 09:09:09AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/bug-reporting.html
>
> Hi
> I was stumbling across the trigger function
> ‘suppress_redundant_updates_trigger’ in
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-trigger.html and I would
> just ask if there is any reason of this not being int the documentation in
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-createtrigger.html.
> So after
>
> Call a function to log updates of accounts, but only if something changed:
>
> CREATE TRIGGER log_update
>     AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
>     FOR EACH ROW
>     WHEN (OLD.* IS DISTINCT FROM NEW.*)
>     EXECUTE FUNCTION log_account_update();
>
> There could be an alternative implementation as well
>
> CREATE TRIGGER log_update
>     AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
>     FOR EACH ROW
>     EXECUTE FUNCTION log_account_update();
>
> CREATE TRIGGER suppress_redundant_account_after_updates
> AFTER UPDATE ON accounts
> FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION suppress_redundant_updates_trigger();
>

> Just to introduce and like the feature.
>
> Thank you for your great work best regards

I have created the attached patch to mention
suppress_redundant_updates_trigger() in this case.  I don't think having
an actual example is warranted.

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger in sql-createtrigger.html#examples

Дата:
> I have created the attached patch to mention
> suppress_redundant_updates_trigger() in this case.  I don't think having
> an actual example is warranted.

I don't like this patch, because in fact
suppress_redundant_updates_trigger is entirely unrelated to the stated
purpose of that example (namely, to log something if the table was
changed).  The way you've written it makes it sound like
suppress_redundant_updates_trigger could be used as an alternative
implementation of that requirement.

If you want to mention suppress_redundant_updates_trigger somewhere
in this area, that's fine, but it should be treated as an independent
topic rather than being wedged into the middle of an unrelated example.
Maybe a distinct para saying something like "To suppress no-op updates
of a table, see suppress_redundant_updates_trigger." (and making that
an actual link would be a good idea).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger insql-createtrigger.html#examples

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:08:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have created the attached patch to mention
> > suppress_redundant_updates_trigger() in this case.  I don't think having
> > an actual example is warranted.
>
> I don't like this patch, because in fact
> suppress_redundant_updates_trigger is entirely unrelated to the stated
> purpose of that example (namely, to log something if the table was
> changed).  The way you've written it makes it sound like
> suppress_redundant_updates_trigger could be used as an alternative
> implementation of that requirement.

Ah,  I see your point.

> If you want to mention suppress_redundant_updates_trigger somewhere
> in this area, that's fine, but it should be treated as an independent
> topic rather than being wedged into the middle of an unrelated example.
> Maybe a distinct para saying something like "To suppress no-op updates
> of a table, see suppress_redundant_updates_trigger." (and making that
> an actual link would be a good idea).

I have developed the attached patch which is in a better direction.

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger in sql-createtrigger.html#examples

Дата:
> I have developed the attached patch which is in a better direction.

I still wish you wouldn't jam this topic into an only-marginally-related
sentence.  In the case at hand, the point that the existing text is
making is that a no-op update will fire triggers.  Which is not
something that suppress_redundant_updates_trigger will suppress,
so again it seems confusing to mention that in the same breath.

I think that perhaps the right thing to do is add a new para to
CREATE TRIGGER's "Notes" section, along the lines of

       There are a few built-in trigger functions that can be used
       to solve common problems without having to write your own trigger
       code.  See Section 9.28.

This would have the advantage of covering the other built-in triggers
not only suppress_redundant_updates_trigger.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger insql-createtrigger.html#examples

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 01:39:45PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have developed the attached patch which is in a better direction.
>
> I still wish you wouldn't jam this topic into an only-marginally-related
> sentence.  In the case at hand, the point that the existing text is
> making is that a no-op update will fire triggers.  Which is not
> something that suppress_redundant_updates_trigger will suppress,
> so again it seems confusing to mention that in the same breath.
>
> I think that perhaps the right thing to do is add a new para to
> CREATE TRIGGER's "Notes" section, along the lines of
>
>        There are a few built-in trigger functions that can be used
>        to solve common problems without having to write your own trigger
>        code.  See Section 9.28.
>
> This would have the advantage of covering the other built-in triggers
> not only suppress_redundant_updates_trigger.

OK, I didn't think there was enough desire to put it its own paragraph,
but I like the idea of mentioning all of the trigger functions;  patch
attached.

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger in sql-createtrigger.html#examples

Дата:
> OK, I didn't think there was enough desire to put it its own paragraph,
> but I like the idea of mentioning all of the trigger functions;  patch
> attached.

This one WFM.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not using suppress_redundant_updates_trigger insql-createtrigger.html#examples

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 02:02:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I didn't think there was enough desire to put it its own paragraph,
> > but I like the idea of mentioning all of the trigger functions;  patch
> > attached.
>
> This one WFM.

Patch applied to all supported versions.