Обсуждение: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Procedures currently don't allow OUT parameters.  The reason for this is
that at the time procedures were added (PG11), some of the details of
how this should work were unclear and the issue was postponed.  I am now
intending to resolve this.

AFAICT, OUT parameters in _functions_ are not allowed per the SQL
standard, so whatever PostgreSQL is doing there at the moment is mostly
our own invention.  By contrast, I am here intending to make OUT
parameters in procedures work per SQL standard and be compatible with
the likes of PL/SQL.

The main difference is that for procedures, OUT parameters are part of
the signature and need to be specified as part of the call.  This makes
sense for nested calls in PL/pgSQL like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE test_proc(IN a int, OUT b int)
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
BEGIN
   b := a * 2;
END;
$$;

DO $$
DECLARE _a int; _b int;
BEGIN
   _a := 10;
   CALL test_proc(_a, _b);
   RAISE NOTICE '_a: %, _b: %', _a, _b;
END
$$;

For a top-level direct call, you can pass whatever you want, since all
OUT parameters are presented as initially NULL to the procedure code.
So you could just pass NULL, as in CALL test_proc(5, NULL).

The code changes to make this happen are not as significant as I had
initially feared.  Most of the patch is expanded documentation and
additional tests.  In some cases, I changed the terminology from "input
parameters" to "signature parameters" to make the difference clearer.
Overall, while this introduces some additional conceptual complexity,
the way it works is pretty obvious in the end, and people porting from
other systems will find it working as expected.

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 4:34 AM Peter Eisentraut
> For a top-level direct call, you can pass whatever you want, since all
> OUT parameters are presented as initially NULL to the procedure code.
> So you could just pass NULL, as in CALL test_proc(5, NULL).

Is that actually how other systems work? I would think that people
would expect to pass, say, a package variable, and expect that it will
get updated.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-08-27 15:56, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 4:34 AM Peter Eisentraut
>> For a top-level direct call, you can pass whatever you want, since all
>> OUT parameters are presented as initially NULL to the procedure code.
>> So you could just pass NULL, as in CALL test_proc(5, NULL).
>
> Is that actually how other systems work? I would think that people
> would expect to pass, say, a package variable, and expect that it will
> get updated.

The handling of results of SQL statements executed at the top level
(a.k.a. direct SQL) is implementation-specific and varies widely in
practice.  More interesting in practice, in terms of functionality and
also compatibility, are nested calls in PL/pgSQL as well as integration
in JDBC.

We already support INOUT parameters in procedures, so the method of
returning the value of output parameters after the CALL already exists.
This patch doesn't touch that at all, really.  If we had or would add
other places to put those results, such as package variables, then they
could be added independently of this patch.

Of course, feedback from those more knowledgeable in other systems than
me would be welcome.

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 2:04 AM Peter Eisentraut
> The handling of results of SQL statements executed at the top level
> (a.k.a. direct SQL) is implementation-specific and varies widely in
> practice.  More interesting in practice, in terms of functionality and
> also compatibility, are nested calls in PL/pgSQL as well as integration
> in JDBC.

I agree that driver integration, and in particular JDBC integration,
is important and needs some thought. I don't think it horribly
matters, with a feature like this, what shows up when people type
stuff into psql. Whatever it is, people will get used to it. But when
they interact through a driver, it's different. It is no good
inventing things, either in PostgreSQL or in the JDBC driver for
PostgreSQL, that make PostgreSQL behave differently from every other
database they use. I don't know exactly how we get to a good outcome
here, but I think it's worth some careful consideration.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
> Procedures currently don't allow OUT parameters.  The reason for this
> is that at the time procedures were added (PG11), some of the details
> of how this should work were unclear and the issue was postponed.  I
> am now intending to resolve this.
>
> AFAICT, OUT parameters in _functions_ are not allowed per the SQL
> standard, so whatever PostgreSQL is doing there at the moment is
> mostly our own invention.  By contrast, I am here intending to make
> OUT parameters in procedures work per SQL standard and be compatible
> with the likes of PL/SQL.
>
> The main difference is that for procedures, OUT parameters are part of
> the signature and need to be specified as part of the call.  This
> makes sense for nested calls in PL/pgSQL like this:
>
> CREATE PROCEDURE test_proc(IN a int, OUT b int)
> LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $$
> BEGIN
>   b := a * 2;
> END;
> $$;
>
> DO $$
> DECLARE _a int; _b int;
> BEGIN
>   _a := 10;
>   CALL test_proc(_a, _b);
>   RAISE NOTICE '_a: %, _b: %', _a, _b;
> END
> $$;
>
> For a top-level direct call, you can pass whatever you want, since all
> OUT parameters are presented as initially NULL to the procedure code.
> So you could just pass NULL, as in CALL test_proc(5, NULL).
>
> The code changes to make this happen are not as significant as I had
> initially feared.  Most of the patch is expanded documentation and
> additional tests.  In some cases, I changed the terminology from
> "input parameters" to "signature parameters" to make the difference
> clearer. Overall, while this introduces some additional conceptual
> complexity, the way it works is pretty obvious in the end, and people
> porting from other systems will find it working as expected.

I've reviewed this, and I think it's basically fine. I've made an
addition that adds a test module that shows how this can be called from
libpq - that should be helpful (I hope) for driver writers.

A combined patch with the original plus my test suite is attached.

I think this can be marked RFC.

cheers

andrew

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Pavel Stehule

po 28. 9. 2020 v 18:43 odesílatel Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> napsal:

> Procedures currently don't allow OUT parameters.  The reason for this
> is that at the time procedures were added (PG11), some of the details
> of how this should work were unclear and the issue was postponed.  I
> am now intending to resolve this.
>
> AFAICT, OUT parameters in _functions_ are not allowed per the SQL
> standard, so whatever PostgreSQL is doing there at the moment is
> mostly our own invention.  By contrast, I am here intending to make
> OUT parameters in procedures work per SQL standard and be compatible
> with the likes of PL/SQL.
>
> The main difference is that for procedures, OUT parameters are part of
> the signature and need to be specified as part of the call.  This
> makes sense for nested calls in PL/pgSQL like this:
>
> CREATE PROCEDURE test_proc(IN a int, OUT b int)
> LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $$
> BEGIN
>   b := a * 2;
> END;
> $$;
>
> DO $$
> DECLARE _a int; _b int;
> BEGIN
>   _a := 10;
>   CALL test_proc(_a, _b);
>   RAISE NOTICE '_a: %, _b: %', _a, _b;
> END
> $$;
>
> For a top-level direct call, you can pass whatever you want, since all
> OUT parameters are presented as initially NULL to the procedure code.
> So you could just pass NULL, as in CALL test_proc(5, NULL).

This was an important issue if I remember well.  Passing mandatory NULL as OUT arguments solves this issue.
I fully agree so OUT arguments are part of the procedure's signature. Unfortunately, there is another difference
from functions, but I don't think so there is a better solution, and we should live with it. I think it can work well.

> The code changes to make this happen are not as significant as I had
> initially feared.  Most of the patch is expanded documentation and
> additional tests.  In some cases, I changed the terminology from
> "input parameters" to "signature parameters" to make the difference
> clearer. Overall, while this introduces some additional conceptual
> complexity, the way it works is pretty obvious in the end, and people
> porting from other systems will find it working as expected.

I've reviewed this, and I think it's basically fine. I've made an
addition that adds a test module that shows how this can be called from
libpq - that should be helpful (I hope) for driver writers.

A combined patch with the original plus my test suite is attached.

I found one issue. The routine for selecting function or procedure based on signature should be fixed.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE public.procp(OUT integer)
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $procedure$
BEGIN
  $1 := 10;
END;
$procedure$

DO
$$
DECLARE n numeric;
BEGIN
  CALL procp(n);
  RAISE NOTICE '%', n;
END;
$$;
ERROR:  procedure procp(numeric) does not exist
LINE 1: CALL procp(n)
             ^
HINT:  No procedure matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:  CALL procp(n)
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 4 at CALL

I think this example should work.

But it doesn't work now for INOUT, and this fix will not be easy, so it should be solved as a separate issue. This features are complete and useful now, and it can be fixed later without problems with compatibility issues.

Another issue are using polymorphic arguments

postgres=# create or replace procedure px(anyelement, out anyelement)
as $$
begin
  $2 := $1;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

postgres=# call px(10, null);
ERROR:  cannot display a value of type anyelement

but inside plpgsql it works
do $$
declare xx int;
begin
  call px(10, xx);
  raise notice '%', xx;
end;
$$;

I think this can be marked RFC.

+1

Pavel

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Support for OUT parameters in procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-09-29 08:23, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> This was an important issue if I remember well.  Passing mandatory NULL
> as OUT arguments solves this issue.
> I fully agree so OUT arguments are part of the procedure's signature.
> Unfortunately, there is another difference
> from functions, but I don't think so there is a better solution, and we
> should live with it. I think it can work well.

This has been committed.

> I found one issue. The routine for selecting function or procedure based
> on signature should be fixed.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE public.procp(OUT integer)
>   LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $procedure$
> BEGIN
>    $1 := 10;
> END;
> $procedure$
>
> DO
> $$
> DECLARE n numeric;
> BEGIN
>    CALL procp(n);
>    RAISE NOTICE '%', n;
> END;
> $$;
> ERROR:  procedure procp(numeric) does not exist
> LINE 1: CALL procp(n)
>               ^
> HINT:  No procedure matches the given name and argument types. You might
> need to add explicit type casts.
> QUERY:  CALL procp(n)
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 4 at CALL

This is normal; there is no implicit cast from numeric to int.  The same
error happens if you call a function foo(int) with foo(42::numeric).

> postgres=# create or replace procedure px(anyelement, out anyelement)
> as $$
> begin
>    $2 := $1;
> end;
> $$ language plpgsql;
>
> postgres=# call px(10, null);
> ERROR:  cannot display a value of type anyelement
>
> but inside plpgsql it works
> do $$
> declare xx int;
> begin
>    call px(10, xx);
>    raise notice '%', xx;
> end;
> $$;

This might be worth further investigation, but since it happens also
with INOUT parameters, it seems orthogonal to this patch.

On 2020-09-29 08:23, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> This was an important issue if I remember well.  Passing mandatory NULL
> as OUT arguments solves this issue.
> I fully agree so OUT arguments are part of the procedure's signature.
> Unfortunately, there is another difference
> from functions, but I don't think so there is a better solution, and we
> should live with it. I think it can work well.

This has been committed.

> I found one issue. The routine for selecting function or procedure based
> on signature should be fixed.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE public.procp(OUT integer)
>   LANGUAGE plpgsql
> AS $procedure$
> BEGIN
>    $1 := 10;
> END;
> $procedure$
>
> DO
> $$
> DECLARE n numeric;
> BEGIN
>    CALL procp(n);
>    RAISE NOTICE '%', n;
> END;
> $$;
> ERROR:  procedure procp(numeric) does not exist
> LINE 1: CALL procp(n)
>               ^
> HINT:  No procedure matches the given name and argument types. You might
> need to add explicit type casts.
> QUERY:  CALL procp(n)
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 4 at CALL

This is normal; there is no implicit cast from numeric to int.  The same
error happens if you call a function foo(int) with foo(42::numeric).

this is OUT argument - so direction is reversed - and implicit cast from int to numeric exists.

> postgres=# create or replace procedure px(anyelement, out anyelement)
> as $$
> begin
>    $2 := $1;
> end;
> $$ language plpgsql;
>
> postgres=# call px(10, null);
> ERROR:  cannot display a value of type anyelement
>
> but inside plpgsql it works
> do $$
> declare xx int;
> begin
>    call px(10, xx);
>    raise notice '%', xx;
> end;
> $$;

This might be worth further investigation, but since it happens also
with INOUT parameters, it seems orthogonal to this patch.

yes - this breaks using varchar against text argument, although these types are almost identical.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/