Обсуждение: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

As Dave mentioned in some earlier thread, we've been conducting an
experiment over the outbound links on the downloads page so we can
further optimize layout. We've collected several months of results, and
per analysis of that, we have a few proposed changes.

As this is effectively "release eve" and the lag between "discussion of
experiment" to "implementation of patches" was longer than I wanted, I
wanted to propose the least invasive, best for our user patches that
would require limited discussion.

(I will publish a proposal for the ones that require more discussion later).

As such, the goal of this patchset is to make things even clearer for
our users on what they can download and ensuring that it is a good
experience.

Without further ado, here are five patches:

* Remove the "Build from Source" section on each of the Linux package
pages. The traffic to those pages overwhelmingly (> 99+%) went for some
form of pre-built package; people who wanted the source code would grab
it based on the URL off of the main downloads page (which had a much
higher clickthrough rate).

* URLs to the BigSQL packages are removed as the website is no longer
available.

* Retitle the Linux distro packages to "native packages"; removed Debian
backports section due to lack of traffic.

* Shorten the description on the macOS page and reorder the installers
based on the overall traffic numbers.

* Remove cross-platform Linux installer due to lack of outbound traffic
relative to the content on the pages.

Unless strenuous objection, my plan is to publish this prior to the
release.[1]

Thanks!

Jonathan

[1] Yes, I understand this is short notice, I apologize. But for those
who worry about content changes prior to a major release, there are _a
lot_ more content changes that occur to prepare for the release ;)

Вложения

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
[...]

I think that's a bad name. Native packages is in my experience normally the term used to refer to e.g. DEBs and RPMs in comparison to things like installers, tarballs and source installs. And per that definition, that would include both both the distro built-in and th ones from our projects.

+1 for the removal of the explicit backports reference thouhg.

* Shorten the description on the macOS page and reorder the installers
based on the overall traffic numbers.

* Remove cross-platform Linux installer due to lack of outbound traffic
relative to the content on the pages.

Unless strenuous objection, my plan is to publish this prior to the
release.[1]

And +1 for the other suggested changes.

//Mangus

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/22/20 4:03 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     As Dave mentioned in some earlier thread, we've been conducting an
>     experiment over the outbound links on the downloads page so we can
>     further optimize layout. We've collected several months of results, and
>     per analysis of that, we have a few proposed changes.
>
>     As this is effectively "release eve" and the lag between "discussion of
>     experiment" to "implementation of patches" was longer than I wanted, I
>     wanted to propose the least invasive, best for our user patches that
>     would require limited discussion.
>
>     (I will publish a proposal for the ones that require more discussion
>     later).
>
>     As such, the goal of this patchset is to make things even clearer for
>     our users on what they can download and ensuring that it is a good
>     experience.
>
>     Without further ado, here are five patches:
>
>     * Remove the "Build from Source" section on each of the Linux package
>     pages. The traffic to those pages overwhelmingly (> 99+%) went for some
>     form of pre-built package; people who wanted the source code would grab
>     it based on the URL off of the main downloads page (which had a much
>     higher clickthrough rate).
>
>     * URLs to the BigSQL packages are removed as the website is no longer
>     available.
>
>     * Retitle the Linux distro packages to "native packages"; removed Debian
>     backports section due to lack of traffic.
>

> I think that's a bad name. Native packages is in my experience normally
> the term used to refer to e.g. DEBs and RPMs in comparison to things
> like installers, tarballs and source installs. And per that definition,
> that would include both both the distro built-in and th ones from our
> projects.

Alright, sounds like we should discuss that further. I've repurposed
this patch...

> +1 for the removal of the explicit backports reference thouhg.

...to this.

>     * Shorten the description on the macOS page and reorder the installers
>     based on the overall traffic numbers.
>
>     * Remove cross-platform Linux installer due to lack of outbound traffic
>     relative to the content on the pages.
>
>     Unless strenuous objection, my plan is to publish this prior to the
>     release.[1]
>

> And +1 for the other suggested changes.

Excellent. Thank you!

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
Dave Page

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 9:10 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 9/22/20 4:03 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     As Dave mentioned in some earlier thread, we've been conducting an
>     experiment over the outbound links on the downloads page so we can
>     further optimize layout. We've collected several months of results, and
>     per analysis of that, we have a few proposed changes.
>
>     As this is effectively "release eve" and the lag between "discussion of
>     experiment" to "implementation of patches" was longer than I wanted, I
>     wanted to propose the least invasive, best for our user patches that
>     would require limited discussion.
>
>     (I will publish a proposal for the ones that require more discussion
>     later).
>
>     As such, the goal of this patchset is to make things even clearer for
>     our users on what they can download and ensuring that it is a good
>     experience.
>
>     Without further ado, here are five patches:
>
>     * Remove the "Build from Source" section on each of the Linux package
>     pages. The traffic to those pages overwhelmingly (> 99+%) went for some
>     form of pre-built package; people who wanted the source code would grab
>     it based on the URL off of the main downloads page (which had a much
>     higher clickthrough rate).
>
>     * URLs to the BigSQL packages are removed as the website is no longer
>     available.
>
>     * Retitle the Linux distro packages to "native packages"; removed Debian
>     backports section due to lack of traffic.
>

> I think that's a bad name. Native packages is in my experience normally
> the term used to refer to e.g. DEBs and RPMs in comparison to things
> like installers, tarballs and source installs. And per that definition,
> that would include both both the distro built-in and th ones from our
> projects.

Alright, sounds like we should discuss that further. I've repurposed
this patch...

> +1 for the removal of the explicit backports reference thouhg.

...to this.

>     * Shorten the description on the macOS page and reorder the installers
>     based on the overall traffic numbers.
>
>     * Remove cross-platform Linux installer due to lack of outbound traffic
>     relative to the content on the pages.
>
>     Unless strenuous objection, my plan is to publish this prior to the
>     release.[1]
>

> And +1 for the other suggested changes.

Excellent. Thank you!

I'm OK with it all.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 22 Sep 2020, at 21:23, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Without further ado, here are five patches:

While on the subject, I would like to propose a sixth patch to this series.  We
currently don't include NetBSD in the BSD downloads section which seems a bit
odd given that they have up to date packages just like FreeBSD and OpenBSD (and
we have NetBSD present in the buildfarm).

The attached (untested) patch adds NetBSD via the official pkgsrc packages.  It
also includes a small rewording, changing "BSD distribution" to "BSD operating
system" as distribution isn't really the right nomenclature given their
history.

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/23/20 4:17 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 22 Sep 2020, at 21:23, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> Without further ado, here are five patches:
>
> While on the subject, I would like to propose a sixth patch to this series.  We
> currently don't include NetBSD in the BSD downloads section which seems a bit
> odd given that they have up to date packages just like FreeBSD and OpenBSD (and
> we have NetBSD present in the buildfarm).
>
> The attached (untested) patch adds NetBSD via the official pkgsrc packages.  It
> also includes a small rewording, changing "BSD distribution" to "BSD operating
> system" as distribution isn't really the right nomenclature given their
> history.

I'm mostly ambivalent to this, but if they're supporting up-to-date
packages I'm not opposed to adding it.

Based on [1], the anchors with `target="_blank"` needs to also include a
`rel="noopener"`

Other than that, I've tested and it looks good.

If you would like me to take care of that addition so I can add and
rebase against the PG13 release set, I am happy to do that.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=commitdiff;h=b0e7f5ce76d769f3e46fbbe7510a0864a4e88622

Вложения

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 23 Sep 2020, at 16:57, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> If you would like me to take care of that addition so I can add and
> rebase against the PG13 release set, I am happy to do that.

Sounds good, feel free to roll it into the rest of your work.

cheers ./daniel

Re: download page updates post-experiment (part 1)

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/23/20 11:02 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 23 Sep 2020, at 16:57, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> If you would like me to take care of that addition so I can add and
>> rebase against the PG13 release set, I am happy to do that.
>
> Sounds good, feel free to roll it into the rest of your work.

Thanks. I've gone ahead and committed + pushed.

Jonathan

Вложения