Обсуждение: Strange wording on unsupported docs pages

Strange wording on unsupported docs pages

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
The documentation page for devel, and unsupported, versions have the following
blurb at the top:

        This documentation is for an unsupported version of PostgreSQL.

    You may want to view the same page for the current version, or one of the
    supported versions listed above instead.

To me the phrase "..the current version, or one of the supported versions.."
seems to imply that current isn't a supported version.  Wouldn't: "one of the
*other* supported versions" be a clearer wording? PFA patch doing it this way.

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Strange wording on unsupported docs pages

От
Magnus Hagander

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
The documentation page for devel, and unsupported, versions have the following
blurb at the top:

        This documentation is for an unsupported version of PostgreSQL.

    You may want to view the same page for the current version, or one of the
    supported versions listed above instead.

To me the phrase "..the current version, or one of the supported versions.."
seems to imply that current isn't a supported version.  Wouldn't: "one of the
*other* supported versions" be a clearer wording? PFA patch doing it this way.

Yeah, +1, sounds like an improvement.

--

Re: Strange wording on unsupported docs pages

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/23/20 12:05 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se
> <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
>
>     The documentation page for devel, and unsupported, versions have the
>     following
>     blurb at the top:
>
>             This documentation is for an unsupported version of PostgreSQL.
>
>         You may want to view the same page for the current version, or
>     one of the
>         supported versions listed above instead.
>
>     To me the phrase "..the current version, or one of the supported
>     versions.."
>     seems to imply that current isn't a supported version.  Wouldn't:
>     "one of the
>     *other* supported versions" be a clearer wording? PFA patch doing it
>     this way.
>

> Yeah, +1, sounds like an improvement.

Agreed. Committed and pushed.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Strange wording on unsupported docs pages

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 23 Sep 2020, at 18:11, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 9/23/20 12:05 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Yeah, +1, sounds like an improvement.
>
> Agreed. Committed and pushed.

Thanks!