Обсуждение: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands

using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
Hello,

I've found the following problem using psql 11.4 against a server 13.0:

$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
$ psql -Usisis -dsisis
psql (11.4, server 13.0)
WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
         Some psql features might not work.
Type "help" for help.

sisis=# \d dbctest
FEHLER:  Spalte c.relhasoids existiert nicht
LINE 1: ...riggers, c.relrowsecurity, c.relforcerowsecurity, c.relhasoi...
                                                             ^
sisis=#

Is this expected? Are there other bigger issues with commands. I see the
message "Some psql features might not work.", but that this affects also
"normal" commands of daily use...

Thanks

    matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
Без книги нет знания, без знания нет коммунизма (Влaдимир Ильич Ленин)

Re: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2020年10月21日(水) 20:54 Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I've found the following problem using psql 11.4 against a server 13.0:
>
> $ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>          Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=# \d dbctest
> FEHLER:  Spalte c.relhasoids existiert nicht
> LINE 1: ...riggers, c.relrowsecurity, c.relforcerowsecurity, c.relhasoi...
>                                                              ^
> sisis=#
>
> Is this expected? Are there other bigger issues with commands. I see the
> message "Some psql features might not work.", but that this affects also
> "normal" commands of daily use...

Yes, this is fully expected - the system catalogue may change between
server versions, and
hence the SQL needed for the meta-commands. Any psql version should be
backwards-
compatible with older server versions, but older psql versions cannot
of course know what
SQL might needed for newer server versions. Hence the warning.

Regards

Ian Barwick
--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/21/20 4:54 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've found the following problem using psql 11.4 against a server 13.0:
>
> $ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>           Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=# \d dbctest
> FEHLER:  Spalte c.relhasoids existiert nicht
> LINE 1: ...riggers, c.relrowsecurity, c.relforcerowsecurity, c.relhasoi...
>                                                               ^
> sisis=#
>
> Is this expected? Are there other bigger issues with commands. I see the
> message "Some psql features might not work.", but that this affects also
> "normal" commands of daily use...

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html
"
Meta-Commands

Anything you enter in psql that begins with an unquoted backslash is a
psql meta-command that is processed by psql itself. These commands make
psql more useful for administration or scripting. Meta-commands are
often called slash or backslash commands.
"

\ commands are a psql feature, so they are potentially affected.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands

От
"Ireneusz Pluta/wp.pl"
Дата:
W dniu 2020-10-21 o 13:54, Matthias Apitz pisze:
> Hello,
>
> I've found the following problem using psql 11.4 against a server 13.0:
you may install a separate 13.0 psql binary and use that one against the 13.0 server