Обсуждение: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

Commit 3b733fcd04 caused the buildfarm member "rorqual" to report
the following error and fail the regression test. The cause of this issue
is a bug in that commit.

     ERROR:  invalid spinlock number: 0

But while investigating the issue, I found that this error could happen
even in the current master (without commit 3b733fcd04). The error can
be easily reproduced by reading pg_stat_wal_receiver view before
walreceiver starts up, in the server built with --disable-atomics --disable-spinlocks.
Furthermore if you try to read pg_stat_wal_receiver again,
that gets stuck. This is not good.

ISTM that the commit 2c8dd05d6c caused this issue. The commit changed
pg_stat_get_wal_receiver() so that it reads "writtenUpto" by using
pg_atomic_read_u64(). But since "writtenUpto" is initialized only when
walreceiver starts up, reading "writtenUpto" before the startup of
walreceiver can cause the error.

Also pg_stat_get_wal_receiver() calls pg_atomic_read_u64() while
a spinlock is being held. Maybe this may cause the process to get stuck
in --disable-atomics case, I guess.

Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
Hi Fujii-san,

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:17:04PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> ISTM that the commit 2c8dd05d6c caused this issue. The commit changed
> pg_stat_get_wal_receiver() so that it reads "writtenUpto" by using
> pg_atomic_read_u64(). But since "writtenUpto" is initialized only when
> walreceiver starts up, reading "writtenUpto" before the startup of
> walreceiver can cause the error.

Indeed, that's a problem.  We should at least move that out of the
spin lock area.  I'll try to look at that in details, and that's going
to take me a couple of days at least.  Sorry for the delay.
--
Michael

Вложения

On 2021/02/11 21:55, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hi Fujii-san,
>
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:17:04PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> ISTM that the commit 2c8dd05d6c caused this issue. The commit changed
>> pg_stat_get_wal_receiver() so that it reads "writtenUpto" by using
>> pg_atomic_read_u64(). But since "writtenUpto" is initialized only when
>> walreceiver starts up, reading "writtenUpto" before the startup of
>> walreceiver can cause the error.
>
> Indeed, that's a problem.  We should at least move that out of the
> spin lock area.

Yes, so what about the attached patch?

We didn't notice this issue long time because no regression test checks
pg_stat_wal_receiver. So I included such test in the patch.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Вложения

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:30:13PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Yes, so what about the attached patch?

I see.  So the first error triggering the spinlock error would cause
a transaction failure because the fallback implementation of atomics
uses a spinlock for this variable, and it may not initialized in this
code path.

> We didn't notice this issue long time because no regression test checks
> pg_stat_wal_receiver. So I included such test in the patch.

Moving that behind ready_to_display is fine by me seeing where the
initialization is done.  The test case is a good addition.

+    * Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock. So it may not be
+    * consistent with other WAL receiver's shared variables protected by a
+    * spinlock. This is OK because that variable is used only for
+    * informational purpose and should not be used for data integrity checks.
It seems to me that the first two sentences of this comment should be
combined together.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:27 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:30:13PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Yes, so what about the attached patch?
>
> I see.  So the first error triggering the spinlock error would cause
> a transaction failure because the fallback implementation of atomics
> uses a spinlock for this variable, and it may not initialized in this
> code path.

Why not initialise it in WalRcvShmemInit()?

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:47:05PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Why not initialise it in WalRcvShmemInit()?

I was thinking about doing that as well, but we have no real need to
initialize this stuff in most cases, say standalone deployments.  In
particular for the fallback implementation of atomics, we would
prepare a spinlock for nothing.
--
Michael

Вложения

On 2021/02/15 19:45, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:47:05PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Why not initialise it in WalRcvShmemInit()?
>
> I was thinking about doing that as well, but we have no real need to
> initialize this stuff in most cases, say standalone deployments.  In
> particular for the fallback implementation of atomics, we would
> prepare a spinlock for nothing.

But on second thought, if we make WalRceiverMain() call pg_atomic_init_u64(),
the variable is initialized (i,e., SpinLockInit() is called in --disable-atomics)
every time walreceiver is started. That may be problematic? If so, the variable
needs to be initialized in WalRcvShmemInit(), instead.

BTW, the recent commit 46d6e5f567 has the similar issue. The variable
that commit added is initialized in InitProcess(), but maybe should be done
in InitProcGlobal() or elsewhere.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2021-02-15 19:45:21 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:47:05PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > Why not initialise it in WalRcvShmemInit()?
>
> I was thinking about doing that as well, but we have no real need to
> initialize this stuff in most cases, say standalone deployments.  In
> particular for the fallback implementation of atomics, we would
> prepare a spinlock for nothing.

So what? It's just about free to initialize a spinlock, whether it's
using the fallback implementation or not. Initializing upon walsender
startup adds a lot of complications, because e.g. somebody could already
hold the spinlock because the previous walsender just disconnected, and
they were looking at the stats.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 2021/02/16 6:28, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:47:05PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>>> Why not initialise it in WalRcvShmemInit()?
>>
>> I was thinking about doing that as well, but we have no real need to
>> initialize this stuff in most cases, say standalone deployments.  In
>> particular for the fallback implementation of atomics, we would
>> prepare a spinlock for nothing.
>
> So what? It's just about free to initialize a spinlock, whether it's
> using the fallback implementation or not. Initializing upon walsender
> startup adds a lot of complications, because e.g. somebody could already
> hold the spinlock because the previous walsender just disconnected, and
> they were looking at the stats.

Even if we initialize "writtenUpto" in WalRcvShmemInit(), WalReceiverMain()
still needs to initialize (reset to 0) by using pg_atomic_write_u64().

Basically we should not acquire new spinlock while holding another spinlock,
to shorten the spinlock duration. Right? If yes, we need to move
pg_atomic_read_u64() of "writtenUpto" after the release of spinlock in
pg_stat_get_wal_receiver.

Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Вложения

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:43:42PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2021/02/16 6:28, Andres Freund wrote:
>> So what? It's just about free to initialize a spinlock, whether it's
>> using the fallback implementation or not. Initializing upon walsender
>> startup adds a lot of complications, because e.g. somebody could already
>> hold the spinlock because the previous walsender just disconnected, and
>> they were looking at the stats.

Okay.

> Even if we initialize "writtenUpto" in WalRcvShmemInit(), WalReceiverMain()
> still needs to initialize (reset to 0) by using pg_atomic_write_u64().

Yes, you have to do that.

> Basically we should not acquire new spinlock while holding another spinlock,
> to shorten the spinlock duration. Right? If yes, we need to move
> pg_atomic_read_u64() of "writtenUpto" after the release of spinlock in
> pg_stat_get_wal_receiver.

It would not matter much as a NULL tuple is returned as long as the
WAL receiver information is not ready to be displayed.  The only
reason why all the fields are read before checking for
ready_to_display is that we can be sure that everything is consistent
with the PID.  So reading writtenUpto before or after does not really
matter logically.  I would just move it after the check, as you did
previously.

+   /*
+    * Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock. So it may not be
+    * consistent with other WAL receiver's shared variables protected by a
+    * spinlock. This is OK because that variable is used only for
+    * informational purpose and should not be used for data integrity checks.
+    */
What about the following?
"Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock.  Note that it may not
be consistent with the other shared variables of the WAL receiver
protected by a spinlock, but this should not be used for data
integrity checks."

I agree that what has been done with MyProc->waitStart in 46d6e5f is
not safe, and that initialization should happen once at postmaster
startup, with a write(0) when starting the backend.  There are two of
them in proc.c, one in twophase.c.  Do you mind if I add an open item
for this one?
--
Michael

Вложения

On 2021/02/16 15:50, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:43:42PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On 2021/02/16 6:28, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> So what? It's just about free to initialize a spinlock, whether it's
>>> using the fallback implementation or not. Initializing upon walsender
>>> startup adds a lot of complications, because e.g. somebody could already
>>> hold the spinlock because the previous walsender just disconnected, and
>>> they were looking at the stats.
>
> Okay.
>
>> Even if we initialize "writtenUpto" in WalRcvShmemInit(), WalReceiverMain()
>> still needs to initialize (reset to 0) by using pg_atomic_write_u64().
>
> Yes, you have to do that.
>
>> Basically we should not acquire new spinlock while holding another spinlock,
>> to shorten the spinlock duration. Right? If yes, we need to move
>> pg_atomic_read_u64() of "writtenUpto" after the release of spinlock in
>> pg_stat_get_wal_receiver.
>
> It would not matter much as a NULL tuple is returned as long as the
> WAL receiver information is not ready to be displayed.  The only
> reason why all the fields are read before checking for
> ready_to_display is that we can be sure that everything is consistent
> with the PID.  So reading writtenUpto before or after does not really
> matter logically.  I would just move it after the check, as you did
> previously.

OK.

> +   /*
> +    * Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock. So it may not be
> +    * consistent with other WAL receiver's shared variables protected by a
> +    * spinlock. This is OK because that variable is used only for
> +    * informational purpose and should not be used for data integrity checks.
> +    */
> What about the following?
> "Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock.  Note that it may not
> be consistent with the other shared variables of the WAL receiver
> protected by a spinlock, but this should not be used for data
> integrity checks."

Sounds good. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

> I agree that what has been done with MyProc->waitStart in 46d6e5f is
> not safe, and that initialization should happen once at postmaster
> startup, with a write(0) when starting the backend.  There are two of
> them in proc.c, one in twophase.c.  Do you mind if I add an open item
> for this one?

Yeah, please feel free to do that! BTW, I already posted the patch
addressing that issue, at [1].

[1] https://postgr.es/m/1df88660-6f08-cc6e-b7e2-f85296a2bdab@oss.nttdata.com

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Вложения

Re: ERROR: invalid spinlock number: 0

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:47:52PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2021/02/16 15:50, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> +   /*
>> +    * Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock. So it may not be
>> +    * consistent with other WAL receiver's shared variables protected by a
>> +    * spinlock. This is OK because that variable is used only for
>> +    * informational purpose and should not be used for data integrity checks.
>> +    */
>> What about the following?
>> "Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock.  Note that it may not
>> be consistent with the other shared variables of the WAL receiver
>> protected by a spinlock, but this should not be used for data
>> integrity checks."
>
> Sounds good. Attached is the updated version of the patch.

Thanks, looks good to me.

>> I agree that what has been done with MyProc->waitStart in 46d6e5f is
>> not safe, and that initialization should happen once at postmaster
>> startup, with a write(0) when starting the backend.  There are two of
>> them in proc.c, one in twophase.c.  Do you mind if I add an open item
>> for this one?
>
> Yeah, please feel free to do that! BTW, I already posted the patch
> addressing that issue, at [1].

Okay, item added with a link to the original thread.
--
Michael

Вложения

On 2021/02/17 13:52, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:47:52PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On 2021/02/16 15:50, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> +   /*
>>> +    * Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock. So it may not be
>>> +    * consistent with other WAL receiver's shared variables protected by a
>>> +    * spinlock. This is OK because that variable is used only for
>>> +    * informational purpose and should not be used for data integrity checks.
>>> +    */
>>> What about the following?
>>> "Read "writtenUpto" without holding a spinlock.  Note that it may not
>>> be consistent with the other shared variables of the WAL receiver
>>> protected by a spinlock, but this should not be used for data
>>> integrity checks."
>>
>> Sounds good. Attached is the updated version of the patch.
>
> Thanks, looks good to me.

Pushed. Thanks!

>>> I agree that what has been done with MyProc->waitStart in 46d6e5f is
>>> not safe, and that initialization should happen once at postmaster
>>> startup, with a write(0) when starting the backend.  There are two of
>>> them in proc.c, one in twophase.c.  Do you mind if I add an open item
>>> for this one?
>>
>> Yeah, please feel free to do that! BTW, I already posted the patch
>> addressing that issue, at [1].
>
> Okay, item added with a link to the original thread.

Thanks!

Regards,