Обсуждение: Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

От
prachi surangalikar
Дата:
Hello Team,
Greetings!

We are using Postgres 12.2.1 for fetching per minute data for about 25 machines but running parallely via a single thread in python.
But suddenly the insertion time has increased to a very high level, about 30 second for one machine.
We are in so much problem as the data fetching is becoming slow.

if anyone could help us to solve this problem it would be of great help to us.

Re: Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

От
Ganesh Korde

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 1:56 pm prachi surangalikar, <surangalikarprachi100@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Team,
Greetings!

We are using Postgres 12.2.1 for fetching per minute data for about 25 machines but running parallely via a single thread in python.
But suddenly the insertion time has increased to a very high level, about 30 second for one machine.
We are in so much problem as the data fetching is becoming slow.

if anyone could help us to solve this problem it would be of great help to us.
Are you doing vaccuum analyze table regularly?  If not then that might delay insertion.

SV: Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

От
Niels Jespersen

>Fra: prachi surangalikar <surangalikarprachi100@gmail.com>

>Hello Team,

>Greetings!

>We are using Postgres 12.2.1 for fetching per minute data for about 25 machines but running parallely via a single thread in python.

>But suddenly the insertion time has increased to a very high level, about 30 second for one machine.

>We are in so much problem as the data fetching is becoming slow.

>if anyone could help us to solve this problem it would be of great help to us.

Get your data into a Text.IO memory structure and then use copy https://www.psycopg.org/docs/usage.html#using-copy-to-and-copy-from

This is THE way of high-performant inserts using Postgres.

Regards Niels Jespersen

Re: Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

От
Dave Cramer

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 06:11, Niels Jespersen <NJN@dst.dk> wrote:

>Fra: prachi surangalikar <surangalikarprachi100@gmail.com>

>Hello Team,

>Greetings!

>We are using Postgres 12.2.1 for fetching per minute data for about 25 machines but running parallely via a single thread in python.

>But suddenly the insertion time has increased to a very high level, about 30 second for one machine.

>We are in so much problem as the data fetching is becoming slow.

Before anyone can help you, you will have to provide much more information.

Schema, data that you are inserting, size of the machine, configuration settings. etc.

Dave

>if anyone could help us to solve this problem it would be of great help to us.

Get your data into a Text.IO memory structure and then use copy https://www.psycopg.org/docs/usage.html#using-copy-to-and-copy-from

This is THE way of high-performant inserts using Postgres.

Regards Niels Jespersen

Re: SV: Insertion time is very high for inserting data in postgres

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2021-02-10 11:10:41 +0000, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> >Fra: prachi surangalikar <surangalikarprachi100@gmail.com>
> >We are using Postgres 12.2.1 for fetching per minute data for about 25
> machines but running parallely via a single thread in python.
> >But suddenly the insertion time has increased to a very high level, about 30
>> second for one machine.
>
> >We are in so much problem as the data fetching is becoming slow.
>
> >if anyone could help us to solve this problem it would be of great help to us.
>
> Get your data into a Text.IO memory structure and then use copy https://
> www.psycopg.org/docs/usage.html#using-copy-to-and-copy-from
>

> This is THE way of high-performant inserts using Postgres.

True, but Prachi wrote that the insert times "suddenly ... increased to a
very high level". It's better to investigate what went wrong than to
blindly make some changes to the code.

As a first measure I would at least turn on statement logging and/or
pg_stat_statements to see which statements are slow, and then
investigate the slow statements further. auto_explain might also be
useful.

        hp