Обсуждение: JSON doc example (matchiness)

JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
The JSON doc has this example (to show the need for double backslash):

$ ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")

The example is not wrong exactly, and can be cast to jsonpath, but as-is
can never match anything.

I think it'd be helpful to provide that example so that it more probably
matches when the user does a quick trial.

Llet's change it to something like:

$.* ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")

Patch attached.

thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Вложения

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 10:18:44PM +0200, Erik Rijkers wrote:

> The JSON doc has this example (to show the need for double backslash):
>
> $ ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")
>

> The example is not wrong exactly, and can be cast to jsonpath, but as-is can
> never match anything.
>
> I think it'd be helpful to provide that example so that it more probably
> matches when the user does a quick trial.
>
> Llet's change it to something like:
>
> $.* ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")

Ah, I see.  What you are telling here is that we match the regex on
the full JSON string, which is pretty useless, and you are suggesting
to change things so as we'd match with the key names at the first
level.  Makes sense.

This paragraph of the docs say:
"For example, to match strings that contain only digits"
Could we be more precise here?  "strings" looks to much generic to
me in this context when actually referring to a set of path of keys in
a JSON blob.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
On 5/8/21 3:48 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 10:18:44PM +0200, Erik Rijkers wrote:
>> The JSON doc has this example (to show the need for double backslash):
>>
>> $ ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")
>>

>> The example is not wrong exactly, and can be cast to jsonpath, but as-is can
>> never match anything.
>>
>> I think it'd be helpful to provide that example so that it more probably
>> matches when the user does a quick trial.
>>
>> Llet's change it to something like:
>>
>> $.* ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")
> Ah, I see.  What you are telling here is that we match the regex on
> the full JSON string, which is pretty useless, and you are suggesting
> to change things so as we'd match with the key names at the first
> level.  Makes sense.
>
> This paragraph of the docs say:
> "For example, to match strings that contain only digits"
> Could we be more precise here?  "strings" looks to much generic to
> me in this context when actually referring to a set of path of keys in
> a JSON blob.

Yes, "string values"  is probably another small improvement.

> --
> Michael

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:
On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 7:09 PM Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 10:18:44PM +0200, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> >> The JSON doc has this example (to show the need for double backslash):
> >>
> >> $ ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")
> >>

> >> The example is not wrong exactly, and can be cast to jsonpath, but as-is can
> >> never match anything.
> >>
> >> I think it'd be helpful to provide that example so that it more probably
> >> matches when the user does a quick trial.
> >>
> >> Llet's change it to something like:
> >>
> >> $.* ? (@ like_regex "^\\d+$")
> > Ah, I see.  What you are telling here is that we match the regex on
> > the full JSON string, which is pretty useless, and you are suggesting
> > to change things so as we'd match with the key names at the first
> > level.  Makes sense.
> >
> > This paragraph of the docs say:
> > "For example, to match strings that contain only digits"
> > Could we be more precise here?  "strings" looks to much generic to
> > me in this context when actually referring to a set of path of keys in
> > a JSON blob.
>
> Yes, "string values"  is probably another small improvement.

What about the attached patch?  Wording "string values of the root
object" seems most precise to me.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Вложения

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:
On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 4:01 AM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 7:09 PM Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > > Ah, I see.  What you are telling here is that we match the regex on
> > > the full JSON string, which is pretty useless, and you are suggesting
> > > to change things so as we'd match with the key names at the first
> > > level.  Makes sense.
> > >
> > > This paragraph of the docs say:
> > > "For example, to match strings that contain only digits"
> > > Could we be more precise here?  "strings" looks to much generic to
> > > me in this context when actually referring to a set of path of keys in
> > > a JSON blob.
> >
> > Yes, "string values"  is probably another small improvement.
>
> What about the attached patch?  Wording "string values of the root
> object" seems most precise to me.

I propose backpatching this to 12 when jsonpath was introduced.  It
seems useful to have this docs improvement every release supporting
jsonpath.

Objections?

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 11:17:47PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> I propose backpatching this to 12 when jsonpath was introduced.  It
> seems useful to have this docs improvement every release supporting
> jsonpath.
>
> Objections?

None.  Backpatching that is a good idea, and your suggested rewording
is an improvement.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: JSON doc example (matchiness)

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 3:41 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 11:17:47PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > I propose backpatching this to 12 when jsonpath was introduced.  It
> > seems useful to have this docs improvement every release supporting
> > jsonpath.
> >
> > Objections?
>
> None.  Backpatching that is a good idea, and your suggested rewording
> is an improvement.

Pushed, thanks!

------
Regards,