Обсуждение: Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress

Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress

От
Andrey Lepikhov
Дата:
Hi,

I want to add the '--ignore-errors' option into the pg_regress module.

I understand it can't be used in the regression or TAP tests. But such
option is useful to test a custom extension. A custom extension couldn't
pass all check-world tests and will be stopped at the end of first stage.
My use case of this feature is to run check-world, look for core files
and analyze diffs of failed (but ignored) tests. Maybe it is not
difficult to apply this patch before the test in CI script, but annoying
procedure.
I think this patch could be applied because it is trivial and can be
easy reverted if needed.

An example:
TEMP_CONFIG=/tmp/extra.config \
EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--load-extension=aqo --ignore-errors
--schedule=src/test/regress/parallel_schedule" \
make check-world

Maybe I just don't know the right way?

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov

Вложения

Re: Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress

Дата:
Andrey Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> I want to add the '--ignore-errors' option into the pg_regress module.

> I understand it can't be used in the regression or TAP tests. But such
> option is useful to test a custom extension.

I'm really skeptical that this has any positive use.  It seems more
likely to be a foot-gun.

Also, pg_regress will already complete all the tests in a particular
suite, and I'm not clear on why you wouldn't try to get (say) the core
suite passing before trying something else.  If the core suite has got
problems it seems unlikely that you can learn much from other suites.

BTW, I wonder if you can't get much or all of the same effect
from "make -k check-world".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress

От
Andrey Lepikhov
Дата:
On 29/6/21 20:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrey Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> BTW, I wonder if you can't get much or all of the same effect
> from "make -k check-world".
Thank you, 'make -k' is suitable solution in such situation.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov