Обсуждение: question about sql comments in postgresql server logs

question about sql comments in postgresql server logs

От
Alan Stange
Дата:
Hello all,

In order to track down some bugs, we thought it would be useful to
append some comments to the sql being sent to postgresql like this:
    select foo from bar   -- a comment with some metadata
however, the postgresql server was not including the appended comment in
the log file.

If we instead sent
    select foo from /* a comment with some metadata */ bar
then the comment was included in the server log file as we had hoped.

Is there some way can get the statement as sent to the server emitted
into the log file in a case like this?   I looked through the server
documentation and don't see an option that would clearly alter this
behavior.

Thank you,

Alan

Re: question about sql comments in postgresql server logs

От
Tim Clarke
Дата:
On 06/08/2021 20:08, Alan Stange wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In order to track down some bugs, we thought it would be useful to
> append some comments to the sql being sent to postgresql like this:
>      select foo from bar   -- a comment with some metadata
> however, the postgresql server was not including the appended comment in
> the log file.
>
> If we instead sent
>      select foo from /* a comment with some metadata */ bar
> then the comment was included in the server log file as we had hoped.
>
> Is there some way can get the statement as sent to the server emitted
> into the log file in a case like this?   I looked through the server
> documentation and don't see an option that would clearly alter this
> behavior.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alan

Raise info?

Tim Clarke MBCS
IT Director
Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420

Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848

Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

________________________________

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to
admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

Re: question about sql comments in postgresql server logs

Дата:
Alan Stange <stange@rentec.com> writes:
> In order to track down some bugs, we thought it would be useful to
> append some comments to the sql being sent to postgresql like this:
>     select foo from bar   -- a comment with some metadata
> however, the postgresql server was not including the appended comment in
> the log file.
> If we instead sent
>     select foo from /* a comment with some metadata */ bar
> then the comment was included in the server log file as we had hoped.

If memory serves, this is a psql behavior not the server's.
I counsel using /* ... */ comments for the purpose.

            regards, tom lane

Re: question about sql comments in postgresql server logs

От
Alan Stange
Дата:
On 8/6/21 3:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alan Stange <stange@rentec.com> writes:
>> In order to track down some bugs, we thought it would be useful to
>> append some comments to the sql being sent to postgresql like this:
>>     select foo from bar   -- a comment with some metadata
>> however, the postgresql server was not including the appended comment in
>> the log file.
>> If we instead sent
>>     select foo from /* a comment with some metadata */ bar
>> then the comment was included in the server log file as we had hoped.
> If memory serves, this is a psql behavior not the server's.
> I counsel using /* ... */ comments for the purpose.

Thank you Tom,

I tried both psql and connecting through jdbc and both had the same
behavior, so assumed this was something in the server.   We will go
with  /* */ to resolve the immediate problem, and will ask on the jdbc
mailing list about this.

Being able to freely append some comments for debugging/tracking
purposes in the server logs seems like a useful feature.

Thank you,

Alan