Обсуждение: Licensing

Licensing

От
Bryan Boone
Дата:
Hello Everyone.  I have a question about licensing with PostgeSQL.

I work for a small company and we design websites for customers of ours.  I read the license that is listed here.

However, I am still confused.

The small company I work for develops websites and applications on AWS EC2 instances for our customers and we charge the customers a fee for hosting and for maintaining their websites.

I am trying to figure out which dbase software I can use and if I need to buy licenses or not.

We do not modify the PostgreSQL code and we do not redistribute the binaries.  So far we are just running on a single instance for each of our customers, but we are not utilizing anything like a cluster or high availability CDN, other than what AWS EC2 provides.  We always utilize Wordpress and Drupal for site front-end.

Can someone tell me if I am able to use PostgreSQL for the small company I work for?  Is there a way to by a commercial license of PostgreSQL if we are required too?

Thanks

Re: Licensing

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
Bryan Boone wrote on 8/18/21 11:39 AM:
Can someone tell me if I am able to use PostgreSQL for the small company I work for?

Yes, you are.

Re: Licensing

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/18/21 11:39 AM, Bryan Boone wrote:
> Hello Everyone.  I have a question about licensing with PostgeSQL.
>
> I work for a small company and we design websites for customers of ours.
>   I read the license that is listed here.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/
>
> However, I am still confused.

I would think:

"Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
agreement is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice
and this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies. "

pretty much covers it, no fee, no written agreement is needed.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Licensing

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
For a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager or Molson Canadian Lager per
website, I hereby grant thee the right to use PostgreSQL with any
customer, to your heart's content. Please note that I don't accept
Budweiser or Miller products.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Re: Licensing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 03:13:51PM -0400, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> For a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager or Molson Canadian Lager per
> website, I hereby grant thee the right to use PostgreSQL with any customer,
> to your heart's content. Please note that I don't accept Budweiser or Miller
> products.

I am a root beer guy!  And of course, the beer/root beer angle is just a
joke,  Many companies use Postgres for many purposes, resell, modify,
etc, with no payment or requirements.

Re: Licensing

От
Bryan Boone
Дата:
Ah okay thank you.  I think what was confusing me was the “without fee”.

I wasn’t sure if that meant we could distribute it, but only if we did not charge a fee for it.  But I guess that means
thatPostgreSQL will not charge a fee to us to distribute it.

Thanks

> On Aug 18, 2021, at 12:13 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/18/21 11:39 AM, Bryan Boone wrote:
>> Hello Everyone.  I have a question about licensing with PostgeSQL.
>> I work for a small company and we design websites for customers of ours.   I read the license that is listed here.
>> https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/ However, I am still confused.
>
> I would think:
>
> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose, without fee,
andwithout a written agreement is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph and the
followingtwo paragraphs appear in all copies. "

> pretty much covers it, no fee, no written agreement is needed.
>
>> Thanks
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Licensing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:47:26PM -0700, Bryan Boone wrote:
> Ah okay thank you.  I think what was confusing me was the “without fee”.
>
> I wasn’t sure if that meant we could distribute it, but only if we did not charge a fee for it.  But I guess that
meansthat PostgreSQL will not charge a fee to us to distribute it.

You are not the first person to be confused by this;  see this email
thread from 2003:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/a3c9d941f0a3761cc68adad1b43347b0@biglumber.com

Re: Licensing

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 2:34 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:47:26PM -0700, Bryan Boone wrote:
> > Ah okay thank you.  I think what was confusing me was the “without fee”.
> >
> > I wasn’t sure if that meant we could distribute it, but only if we did not charge a fee for it.  But I guess that
meansthat PostgreSQL will not charge a fee to us to distribute it.

> You are not the first person to be confused by this;  see this email
> thread from 2003:

Maybe we need to come up with a more explaining paragraph and add it
to https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/ -- similar to how we
explain that we're not going to change license... Like a "what does
this mean" section or something..

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: Licensing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 04:07:52PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 2:34 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:47:26PM -0700, Bryan Boone wrote:
> > > Ah okay thank you.  I think what was confusing me was the “without fee”.
> > >
> > > I wasn’t sure if that meant we could distribute it, but only if we did not charge a fee for it.  But I guess that
meansthat PostgreSQL will not charge a fee to us to distribute it.

> > You are not the first person to be confused by this;  see this email
> > thread from 2003:
>
> Maybe we need to come up with a more explaining paragraph and add it
> to https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/ -- similar to how we
> explain that we're not going to change license... Like a "what does
> this mean" section or something..

Agreed, there is no problem in adding an explanation.