Обсуждение: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Shaozhong SHI

Has anyone got experience with data quality checking, validation and reporting within PostgreSQL?

How best to use PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint for data quality checking, validation and reporting?

Can we report on errors in a detailed and specific way?  For instance, can we produce report on specific issues of erroneous cells in which row and etc.?

Regards,

David

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Christian Ramseyer

On 03.10.21 09:31, Shaozhong SHI wrote:

> Has anyone got experience with data quality checking, validation and
> reporting within PostgreSQL?
>
> How best to use PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint for data quality checking,
> validation and reporting?
>
> Can we report on errors in a detailed and specific way?  For instance,
> can we produce report on specific issues of erroneous cells in which row
> and etc.?

Yes that's all possible. Given a constraint like

alter table test_customers
   add constraint check_age check (age >= 18);

The reported error looks like this:

postgres@dellstore ERROR:  new row for relation "test_customers"
violates check constraint "check_age"

postgres@dellstore DETAIL:  Failing row contains (1, Jimmy, Schmoe, 15).

postgres@dellstore STATEMENT:  insert into test_customers (firstname,
lastname, age) values ( 'Jimmy', 'Schmoe', 15);

This errors appears in the serverlog which has many format and
forwarding options, you can read about them here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html

Cheers
Christian

--
Christian Ramseyer, netnea ag
Network Management. Security. OpenSource.

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Shaozhong SHI
Дата:
Hi, Christian,
That is interesting.  Can errors be captured and saved as data with scripting?
Regards,
David

On Sunday, 3 October 2021, Christian Ramseyer <ramseyer@netnea.com> wrote:

On 03.10.21 09:31, Shaozhong SHI wrote:

> Has anyone got experience with data quality checking, validation and
> reporting within PostgreSQL?
>
> How best to use PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint for data quality checking,
> validation and reporting?
>
> Can we report on errors in a detailed and specific way?  For instance,
> can we produce report on specific issues of erroneous cells in which row
> and etc.?

Yes that's all possible. Given a constraint like

alter table test_customers
   add constraint check_age check (age >= 18);

The reported error looks like this:

postgres@dellstore ERROR:  new row for relation "test_customers"
violates check constraint "check_age"

postgres@dellstore DETAIL:  Failing row contains (1, Jimmy, Schmoe, 15).

postgres@dellstore STATEMENT:  insert into test_customers (firstname,
lastname, age) values ( 'Jimmy', 'Schmoe', 15);

This errors appears in the serverlog which has many format and
forwarding options, you can read about them here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html

Cheers
Christian

--
Christian Ramseyer, netnea ag
Network Management. Security. OpenSource.
https://www.netnea.com

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
Am Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 07:16:32PM +0100 schrieb Shaozhong SHI:

> That is interesting.  Can errors be captured and saved as data with
> scripting?

Depends on what the script does.

If the script runs (or is written in) Python the canonical PG
driver (psycopg2/3) will give you such data.

Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Shaozhong SHI
Дата:
Hi, Kirsten,
That sounds brilliant.
Are there any examples on the web these days?
Regards,
David

On Sunday, 3 October 2021, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
Am Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 07:16:32PM +0100 schrieb Shaozhong SHI:

> That is interesting.  Can errors be captured and saved as data with
> scripting?

Depends on what the script does.

If the script runs (or is written in) Python the canonical PG
driver (psycopg2/3) will give you such data.

Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Christian Ramseyer
Дата:
>     The reported error looks like this:
>
>     postgres@dellstore ERROR:  new row for relation "test_customers"
>     violates check constraint "check_age"
..

On 03.10.21 20:16, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> Hi, Christian,
> That is interesting.  Can errors be captured and saved as data with
> scripting?

Yes that works quite the same, e.g. in Python you can do

try:
    cur.execute("insert into test_customers (firstname, lastname, age)
            values ( %s, %s, %s)", ("Bobby", "Tables", 10))
except psycopg2.errors.CheckViolation as e:
    print(f"That didn't work: {e.cursor.query} failed")
    print(f"{e.pgerror}")

HTH

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Shaozhong SHI
Дата:
Hi, Christian,
Brilliant!
Some years ago, I did something similar and saved problematic ones for data collector.
Now, I am reviewing to see whether there be any elegant way to automate reporting and giving feedback.
Regards,
David

On Sunday, 3 October 2021, Christian Ramseyer <ramseyer@netnea.com> wrote:
>     The reported error looks like this:
>
>     postgres@dellstore ERROR:  new row for relation "test_customers"
>     violates check constraint "check_age"
..

>     This errors appears in the serverlog which has many format and
>     forwarding options, you can read about them here:

On 03.10.21 20:16, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
> Hi, Christian,
> That is interesting.  Can errors be captured and saved as data with
> scripting?

Yes that works quite the same, e.g. in Python you can do

try:
    cur.execute("insert into test_customers (firstname, lastname, age)
            values ( %s, %s, %s)", ("Bobby", "Tables", 10))
except psycopg2.errors.CheckViolation as e:
    print(f"That didn't work: {e.cursor.query} failed")
    print(f"{e.pgerror}")

HTH

Re: PostgreSQL CHECK Constraint

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B
--
Karsten

Sure, they are just a search engine's use away.

> Are there any examples on the web these days?
> That sounds brilliant.

:Am Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 07:44:41PM +0100 schrieb Shaozhong SHI