Обсуждение: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

[Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

От
Pierre Brunel
Дата:
Hi my name is Peter,

I’m new to PostgreSQL upgrades and cannot find my answers to my questions.

I have a JDBC driver in version 9.1-902 and a PostgreSQL in 9.1.9.
My task is to switch to PostgreSQL 13 but for a more smooth transition stay on JDBC 9.1-902 for some months.
After sometime i will switch to the new JDBC.

All i ask is to know if i switch to PSQL 13 is it possible to stay on 9.1-902 ? And if not why ?

Thank you in advance for your time and answers,
Best regards.
Peter.

Re: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Pierre Brunel schrieb am 06.10.2021 um 11:11:
> I’m new to PostgreSQL upgrades and cannot find my answers to my questions.
>
> I have a JDBC driver in version 9.1-902 and a PostgreSQL in 9.1.9.
> My task is to switch to PostgreSQL 13 but for a more smooth transition stay on JDBC 9.1-902 for some months.
> After sometime i will switch to the new JDBC.
>
> All i ask is to know if i switch to PSQL 13 is it possible to stay on 9.1-902 ? And if not why ?

If you migrate to Postgres 13, you will have to upgrade the JDBC driver as well, as Postgres introduced
a new authentication protocol that the outdated JDBC driver does not understand.

The better strategy would probably be to update the driver now and use the current driver with
your Postgres 9.1 installation if you want to test for possible (although unlikely) compatibility
issues with the driver.

Re: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

От
Dave Cramer

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 at 06:39, Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
Pierre Brunel schrieb am 06.10.2021 um 11:11:
> I’m new to PostgreSQL upgrades and cannot find my answers to my questions.
>
> I have a JDBC driver in version 9.1-902 and a PostgreSQL in 9.1.9.
> My task is to switch to PostgreSQL 13 but for a more smooth transition stay on JDBC 9.1-902 for some months.
> After sometime i will switch to the new JDBC.
>
> All i ask is to know if i switch to PSQL 13 is it possible to stay on 9.1-902 ? And if not why ?

While it is possible, many things may not work. Either way I think you are going to have quite a bit of work to do.

Dave

Re: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

Дата:
Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> writes:
> Pierre Brunel schrieb am 06.10.2021 um 11:11:
>> All i ask is to know if i switch to PSQL 13 is it possible to stay on 9.1-902 ? And if not why ?

> If you migrate to Postgres 13, you will have to upgrade the JDBC driver as well, as Postgres introduced
> a new authentication protocol that the outdated JDBC driver does not understand.

Well, he's not required to start using SCRAM auth right away.  I think
the bigger hazard is that some metadata queries may fail due to catalog
changes.  I don't have an old JDBC at hand, but I did quickly try psql 9.1
against a v13 server, and some things fell over:

regression=# \d mytable
ERROR:  column c.relhasoids does not exist
LINE 1: ..., c.relhasindex, c.relhasrules, c.relhastriggers, c.relhasoi...
                                                             ^

Maybe JDBC wouldn't have any problems in your usage, but you couldn't know
that except by testing.

> The better strategy would probably be to update the driver now and use the current driver with
> your Postgres 9.1 installation if you want to test for possible (although unlikely) compatibility
> issues with the driver.

Yeah, if you want a staged approach, updating the client side first might
work better.

            regards, tom lane