Обсуждение: Replication between different architectures

Replication between different architectures

От
"Phil Endecott"
Дата:
Dear Experts,

Is replication going to work from an x86-64 master to an
arm64 replica?

These are AWS EC2 instances, both 64-bit. I may eventually move
them all to ARM, but have a mix of architectures temporarily.
What could possibly go wrong ?!

(If it does fail, will I notice before it's too late?)

Thanks, Phil.

Re: Replication between different architectures

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 05:09:36PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Is replication going to work from an x86-64 master to an
> arm64 replica?

Hi,
tested, works well.

Best regards,

depesz

Re: Replication between different architectures

Дата:
"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_pgsql_lists@chezphil.org> writes:
> Is replication going to work from an x86-64 master to an
> arm64 replica?

The hard part of this is usually whether the operating systems
are identical.  If they have different locale data, you may find
that indexes on text columns appear out-of-order and therefore
corrupt on the replica.  See

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_pgsql_lists@chezphil.org> writes:
>> Is replication going to work from an x86-64 master to an
>> arm64 replica?
>
> The hard part of this is usually whether the operating systems
> are identical.  If they have different locale data, you may find
> that indexes on text columns appear out-of-order and therefore
> corrupt on the replica.  See

Thanks Tom. All these systems are currently running Debian 11;
I dealt with the glibc locale issue a while ago.

Regards, Phil.