Обсуждение: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

От
Gaurav Anand
Дата:
Hello Team,

Our existing DB's are working with temporal table extension. We added this from the PGXN site and it works very well for PG 9 or 10.

Now, we are trying to upgrade our DB's with PG 13. Hence I tried to install the same pgxn extension to enable the temporal table. But I am receiving the error like postgres.h file not present and incompatible functions in versioning.c file

Here are the steps:
apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables

I tried multiple ways mentioned in the site but getting the same error. Please see the snaps attached.

Hence having some queries about it
1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid error?
2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

Thanks.

Regards,
Gaurav Anand

logo

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 12:15 +0530, Gaurav Anand wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Our existing DB's are working with temporal table extension. We added this from the PGXN site and it works very well
forPG 9 or 10.

> Now, we are trying to upgrade our DB's with PG 13. Hence I tried to install the same pgxn extension to enable the
temporaltable. But I am receiving the error like postgres.h file not present and

> incompatible functions in versioning.c file
>
> Here are the steps:
> apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables
>
> I tried multiple ways mentioned in the site but getting the same error. Please see the snaps attached.
>
> Hence having some queries about it
> 1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid
error?

> 2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

It may well be that the extension has a problem.

You should quote the exact error messages, otherwise it is hard to say
what is the matter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

От
Swapnil Sonawane
Дата:
Hi Laurenz,

We are using installing steps from the PGXN website https://pgxn.org/dist/temporal_tables/

After login in to docker (docker images is postgres:13.5), we are executing these installation steps:
> apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables
Error:
pgxn install temporal_tables
INFO: best version: temporal_tables 1.2.0
INFO: saving /tmp/tmp46d4nx9e/temporal_tables-1.2.0.zip
INFO: unpacking: /tmp/tmp46d4nx9e/temporal_tables-1.2.0.zip
INFO: building extension
gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Werror=vla -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wimplicit-fallthrough=3 -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-stringop-truncation -g -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fPIC -I. -I./ -I/usr/include/postgresql/13/server -I/usr/include/postgresql/internal  -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/libxml2   -c -o temporal_tables.o temporal_tables.c
temporal_tables.c:9:10: fatal error: postgres.h: No such file or directory
    9 | #include "postgres.h"
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
gmake: *** [<builtin>: temporal_tables.o] Error 1
ERROR: command returned 2: gmake PG_CONFIG=/usr/bin/pg_config all

Please find the error logs in attachments

also tried a second way after cloning the repo executed below cmds but getting the same error like above
$ make
$ make install
$ make installcheck

Thanks
Swapnil Sonawane

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 1:03 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 12:15 +0530, Gaurav Anand wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Our existing DB's are working with temporal table extension. We added this from the PGXN site and it works very well for PG 9 or 10.
>
> Now, we are trying to upgrade our DB's with PG 13. Hence I tried to install the same pgxn extension to enable the temporal table. But I am receiving the error like postgres.h file not present and
> incompatible functions in versioning.c file
>
> Here are the steps:
> apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables
>
> I tried multiple ways mentioned in the site but getting the same error. Please see the snaps attached.
>
> Hence having some queries about it
> 1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid error?
> 2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

It may well be that the extension has a problem.

You should quote the exact error messages, otherwise it is hard to say
what is the matter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thanks & Regards,
Swapnil Sonawane
logo

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

Вложения

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

От
Gaurav Anand
Дата:
Hi Laurenz,

Thank you for kind attention and acknowledging.

We are using installation steps from the PGXN website https://pgxn.org/dist/temporal_tables/

> [...]

> apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables
>
> I tried multiple ways mentioned in the site but getting the same error. Please see the snaps attached.
>
> Hence having some queries about it
> 1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid error?
> 2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

It may well be that the extension has a problem.

You should quote the exact error messages, otherwise it is hard to say
what is the matter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

Вложения

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

Ron
Дата:
It looks like you need to install the postresql development package.  (I don't know the exact name.)

On 11/29/21 2:17 AM, Gaurav Anand wrote:
> [...]

> Here are the steps:
> apt-get install pip; sudo pip install pgxnclient; pgxn install temporal_tables
>
> I tried multiple ways mentioned in the site but getting the same error. Please see the snaps attached.
>
> Hence having some queries about it
> 1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid error?
> 2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

It may well be that the extension has a problem.

You should quote the exact error messages, otherwise it is hard to say
what is the matter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

Дата:
Hello,

We tried that one also.

Have installed the package by using #sudo apt-get install -y postgresql-server-dev-all

tried once again and getting the same error as versioning.c:249:16: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘Form_pg_attribute’ {aka ‘FormData_pg_attribute *’} from type ‘FormData_pg_attribute’.

Please see the attached snap.

Thanks.

Regards,
Gaurav Anand

logo

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 2:32 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Hence having some queries about it
> 1. Does PGXN ext support any of the PG 12/13/14? Any alternate ways to install it with a particular version to avoid error?
> 2. Kindly suggest a workaround if anyone has successfully tried?

It may well be that the extension has a problem.

You should quote the exact error messages, otherwise it is hard to say
what is the matter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

This communication is confidential and subject to and governed by Saama’s Electronic Communications Disclaimer.

Вложения

Re: PGXN installation failure for Postgres Image of PostgreSQL 12 and 13 versions.

"Edward J. Sabol"
Дата:
Going to https://pgxn.org/dist/temporal_tables/, I discovered that the latest version is 1.2.0, which was released in
2017.The CHANGELOG mentions adding support for PostgreSQL 10. I think you are trying to use it with PostgreSQL 12 or
13.Do you see the problem? That version of the temporal_tables extension does not support any version of PostgreSQL
greaterthan 10.

The https://pgxn.org/dist/temporal_tables/ web page also has a link to the GitHub repository for the project:
https://github.com/arkhipov/temporal_tables

If you go there and view the commits, you'll find that the most recent commit "make(s) temporal_tables extension
compilewith PostgreSQL 13". Unfortunately, it hasn't been released yet. I would advise cloning the GitHub repository
andtrying to compile that version. If you have problems, you should take it up with the temporal_tables developer by
filingan issue at https://github.com/arkhipov/temporal_tables/issues. There's nothing the PostgreSQL team can do to
helphere.

Hope this helps,
Ed