Обсуждение: Add tag/category to the commitfest app

Add tag/category to the commitfest app

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
Hi,

During the last commit fest, some new contributors mentioned me that they were
having trouble to find patch to review.

And indeed, the commit fest app doesn't provide any kind of information about
the patch difficulty (which is different from the patch size, so you can't even
try to estimate it that way), whether there's a need for acceptance on the
feature/approach more than a code review, if it's a POC..., and that's not
welcoming.

I was thinking that we could add a tag system, probably with some limited
predefined tags, to address that problem.

Do you think it's worth adding, or do you have a better idea to help newer
contributors?

Re: Add tag/category to the commitfest app

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 8 Feb 2022, at 03:10, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking that we could add a tag system, probably with some limited
> predefined tags, to address that problem.
>
> Do you think it's worth adding, or do you have a better idea to help newer
> contributors?

We already have the categories for patches, not sure that a second level would
be all that helpful.  I still think that adding an abstract/description field
as discussed in 3C53E8AA-B53F-43C2-B3C6-FA71E18A462C@yesql.se would be helpful
but I haven't had time to work on that.

Re: Add tag/category to the commitfest app

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 03:14:30PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 8 Feb 2022, at 03:10, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking that we could add a tag system, probably with some limited
> > predefined tags, to address that problem.
> >
> > Do you think it's worth adding, or do you have a better idea to help newer
> > contributors?
>
> We already have the categories for patches, not sure that a second level would
> be all that helpful.

Yes, but those categories are quite orthogonal to the problem of finding a patch
suitable for a new contributor or attract attention of other groups of people.

Note that those tags wouldn't be a sub category, just a parallel thing where a
patch could have 0, 1 or n predefined tags, with the search bar allowing easy
access to the combination you want.

> I still think that adding an abstract/description field
> as discussed in 3C53E8AA-B53F-43C2-B3C6-FA71E18A462C@yesql.se would be helpful
> but I haven't had time to work on that.

Agreed, but it doesn't seem to help apart from being a good indication that
this is likely not a good choice for a new contributor.