Обсуждение: UUID type question

UUID type question

От
Laura Smith
Дата:
I'm *sure* I've seen this discussed on here before - infact I'm worried it might even have been me who asked the
question!

But I've searched the archives without luck, so here goes :

Is there anything inherently "special" about the UUID type ? i.e. if I store a UUID in a text is it "worse" ?  (I'm
speakinghere about performance & storage, obviously, not the fact that uuid enforces the formatting).

Thanks !

Laura

Re: UUID type question

От
Dominique Devienne
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Laura Smith
<n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp@protonmail.ch> wrote:
> Is there anything inherently "special" about the UUID type ? i.e. if I store a UUID in a text is it "worse" ?

uuid is stored as 16 binary bytes.
Store it as text, and that's 36 chars (assuming UTF-8, double-that in
UTF-16, if that's possible in PG).
Or encode it as base-62 instead of hexa (base-16, with dashes), to use
only 22 chars as text (in UTF-8 or ASCII)

Re: UUID type question

От
Dominique Devienne
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 3:24 PM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Laura Smith
> <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp@protonmail.ch> wrote:
> > Is there anything inherently "special" about the UUID type ? i.e. if I store a UUID in a text is it "worse" ?
>
> uuid is stored as 16 binary bytes.
> Store it as text, and that's 36 chars (assuming UTF-8, double-that in
> UTF-16, if that's possible in PG).
> Or encode it as base-62 instead of hexa (base-16, with dashes), to use
> only 22 chars as text (in UTF-8 or ASCII)

You might also be interested in KSUID, e.g. https://github.com/segmentio/ksuid

Re: UUID type question

От
Laura Smith