Обсуждение: orafce: some of the build time generated files are not present in .gitignore and also checked into the repository

The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
that they get ignored in the future commits.

sqlparse.c
sqlscan.c
sqlparse.h

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.

> On 26 Apr 2022, at 14:19, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:

> The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
> However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
> be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
> that they get ignored in the future commits.

You should probably take this to the orafce project instead, possibly with a PR
against their repo?

Sure, I'll do that.

Thanks,
Ashutosh

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 5:51 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 26 Apr 2022, at 14:19, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
> > However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
> > be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
> > that they get ignored in the future commits.
>
> You should probably take this to the orafce project instead, possibly with a PR
> against their repo?
>
> --
> Daniel Gustafsson               https://vmware.com/

út 26. 4. 2022 v 14:19 odesílatel Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> napsal:
Hi,

The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
that they get ignored in the future commits.

sqlparse.c
sqlscan.c
sqlparse.h

Without these files there is a problem with MSVC build.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 06:17:41PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> út 26. 4. 2022 v 14:19 odesílatel Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
>     However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
>     be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
>     that they get ignored in the future commits.
>
>     sqlparse.c
>     sqlscan.c
>     sqlparse.h
>
> Without these files there is a problem with MSVC build.

Uh, I am kind of lost here.  Why was this reported to the Postgres
server email lists and not to the orafce email lists?  Is there
confusion who develops/support orafce?  Which MSVC build is broken?  The
Postgres server or orafce?

I assume the problem is that the 'makefile' system generates these
files, but the MSVC build doesn't generate them, so it is just easier to
check them in after a make build so MSVC can use them, and another make
run will just overwrite them.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

út 26. 4. 2022 v 18:36 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> napsal:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 06:17:41PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> út 26. 4. 2022 v 14:19 odesílatel Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     The below files in orafce contrib module are generated at build time.
>     However, these are checked into the repository. Shouldn't these files
>     be removed from the repository and added to the .gitignore file so
>     that they get ignored in the future commits.
>
>     sqlparse.c
>     sqlscan.c
>     sqlparse.h
>
> Without these files there is a problem with MSVC build.

Uh, I am kind of lost here.  Why was this reported to the Postgres
server email lists and not to the orafce email lists?  Is there
confusion who develops/support orafce?  Which MSVC build is broken?  The
Postgres server or orafce?

I am sorry. This is just Orafce topic.

Regards

Pavel

I assume the problem is that the 'makefile' system generates these
files, but the MSVC build doesn't generate them, so it is just easier to
check them in after a make build so MSVC can use them, and another make
run will just overwrite them.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson