Обсуждение: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Please see attached draft for the 2022-05-12 release announcement.

One change: while normally we start the EOL notices for
$NEXT_VERSION_EOL ~6 months from $EOL_DATE, I moved the EOL section up
to be closer to the top of the announcement. This comes from feedback
around ensuring we're giving users enough notice (reminders) in advance
about the EOL.

Please provide feedback on accuracy and if there are any notable omissions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Euler Taveira"
Дата:
On Sun, May 8, 2022, at 5:51 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
Hi,

Please see attached draft for the 2022-05-12 release announcement.
LGTM.

Please provide feedback on accuracy and if there are any notable omissions.
* Several fixes for `contrib/pageinspect` to improve overall stability.
* Disable batch insertion in `contrib/postgres_fdw` when
`BEFORE INSERT ... FOR EACH ROW` triggers exist on the foreign table.

Should you omit 'contrib'? You mentioned ltree but don't say 'contrib/ltree'. It
also isn't used in a previous release announcement (see postgres_fdw).

--
Euler Taveira

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

Дата:
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> Please provide feedback on accuracy and if there are any notable omissions.

Please remove this bit:

> * Infinite endpoints are now disallowed in the timestamp variants of
> `generate_series()`.

Per last-minute discussion [1], I'm going to revert that change for
now.  Maybe we'll still end up doing it, but there is more there
than meets the eye, and there's no time left for leisurely discussion.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3603504.1652068977%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/9/22 9:43 AM, Euler Taveira wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2022, at 5:51 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please see attached draft for the 2022-05-12 release announcement.
> LGTM.
>
>> Please provide feedback on accuracy and if there are any notable
>> omissions.
> * Several fixes for `contrib/pageinspect` to improve overall stability.
> * Disable batch insertion in `contrib/postgres_fdw` when
> `BEFORE INSERT ... FOR EACH ROW` triggers exist on the foreign table.
>
> Should you omit 'contrib'? You mentioned ltree but don't say
> 'contrib/ltree'. It
> also isn't used in a previous release announcement (see postgres_fdw).
>

> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-142-136-1210-1115-and-1020-released-2402/
> <https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-142-136-1210-1115-and-1020-released-2402/>

Hm, it looks like this is inconsistent with other announcements, as
those have the "contrib" prefix[1][2].

I think in this specific case, `ltree` is the data type found in the
`contrib/ltree` extension.

You raise a good point, which is in the release announcement, should we
prefix contrib modules with "contrib"? Perhaps instead of shorthand we
spell it out, e.g. "Several fixes for the `pageinspect` module..."

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-134-128-1113-1018-9623-and-14-beta-3-released-2277/
[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-132-126-1111-1016-9621-and-9525-released-2165/

Вложения

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/9/22 10:06 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Please provide feedback on accuracy and if there are any notable omissions.
>
> Please remove this bit:
>
>> * Infinite endpoints are now disallowed in the timestamp variants of
>> `generate_series()`.
>
> Per last-minute discussion [1], I'm going to revert that change for
> now.  Maybe we'll still end up doing it, but there is more there
> than meets the eye, and there's no time left for leisurely discussion.

Got it. Removed it from the canonical copy. I'll post the draft later
pending outcome of the "how to refer to contrib modules" discussion.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Euler Taveira"
Дата:
On Mon, May 9, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
You raise a good point, which is in the release announcement, should we
prefix contrib modules with "contrib"? Perhaps instead of shorthand we
spell it out, e.g. "Several fixes for the `pageinspect` module..."
Nowadays 'contrib' refers to the physical structure (directory). I wouldn't
mention it because it is a development/packaging detail. We use the terminology
additional supplied module/program to refer to this piece of software which is
kept in the Postgres repository but can be optionally installed. pageinspect
(possibly with the URL) is clear enough. However, if you don't like the
shorthand, 'pageinspect extension' or 'pageinspect module' are good options.

--
Euler Taveira

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 11:16 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> You raise a good point, which is in the release announcement, should we
> prefix contrib modules with "contrib"? Perhaps instead of shorthand we
> spell it out, e.g. "Several fixes for the `pageinspect` module..."
>
> Nowadays 'contrib' refers to the physical structure (directory). I wouldn't
> mention it because it is a development/packaging detail. We use the terminology
> additional supplied module/program to refer to this piece of software which is
> kept in the Postgres repository but can be optionally installed. pageinspect
> (possibly with the URL) is clear enough. However, if you don't like the
> shorthand, 'pageinspect extension' or 'pageinspect module' are good options.

+1 on this line of thinking from my pov.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

Re: 2022-05-12 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/9/22 11:19 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 11:16 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 9, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> You raise a good point, which is in the release announcement, should we
>> prefix contrib modules with "contrib"? Perhaps instead of shorthand we
>> spell it out, e.g. "Several fixes for the `pageinspect` module..."
>>
>> Nowadays 'contrib' refers to the physical structure (directory). I wouldn't
>> mention it because it is a development/packaging detail. We use the terminology
>> additional supplied module/program to refer to this piece of software which is
>> kept in the Postgres repository but can be optionally installed. pageinspect
>> (possibly with the URL) is clear enough. However, if you don't like the
>> shorthand, 'pageinspect extension' or 'pageinspect module' are good options.
>>

> +1 on this line of thinking from my pov.

Per this line of thinking, here is the next revision that drops
"contrib" and instead links directly to the docs.

Jonathan

Вложения