Обсуждение: WAL storage when archive_command=''

WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Victor Sudakov
Дата:
Dear Colleagues,

With archive_mode='on' and archive_command='', is there a limit on WAL
files accumulation or will they be kept infinitely until the disk is
full?

Actually I'd prefer them to be kept infinitely, just want to make sure
it's really the case.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Am 09.09.22 um 06:56 schrieb Victor Sudakov:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> With archive_mode='on' and archive_command='', is there a limit on WAL
> files accumulation or will they be kept infinitely until the disk is
> full?
>
> Actually I'd prefer them to be kept infinitely, just want to make sure
> it's really the case.

There is no limit. The disk will run full.

That's why disk space is the #1 priority in monitoring a PostgreSQL
instance.

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Вложения

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Victor Sudakov
Дата:
Holger Jakobs wrote:

> Am 09.09.22 um 06:56 schrieb Victor Sudakov:
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > With archive_mode='on' and archive_command='', is there a limit on WAL
> > files accumulation or will they be kept infinitely until the disk is
> > full?
> >
> > Actually I'd prefer them to be kept infinitely, just want to make sure
> > it's really the case.
> >
> There is no limit. The disk will run full.

That's actually great that unarchived WAL files will never get
deleted or reused. Thank you for confirming this.

I was pretty sure about the situation when the archive_command returns
a non-zero status, but not so sure about an empty archive_command.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/
2:5005/49@fidonet

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Ron
Дата:
On 9/9/22 02:25, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Holger Jakobs wrote:
>> Am 09.09.22 um 06:56 schrieb Victor Sudakov:
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> With archive_mode='on' and archive_command='', is there a limit on WAL
>>> files accumulation or will they be kept infinitely until the disk is
>>> full?
>>>
>>> Actually I'd prefer them to be kept infinitely, just want to make sure
>>> it's really the case.
>>>
>> There is no limit. The disk will run full.
> That's actually great that unarchived WAL files will never get
> deleted or reused. Thank you for confirming this.

How are you going to prevent the disk from filling up?

Ron wrote:
> On 9/9/22 02:25, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Holger Jakobs wrote:

> >> There is no limit. The disk will run full.
> > That's actually great that unarchived WAL files will never get
> > deleted or reused. Thank you for confirming this.
>
> How are you going to prevent the disk from filling up?

Someone will eventually set archive_command to something useful before
the disk is full. Or Postgress will stop. It does not matter for the
current question.

I just want to make sure that unarchived WAL files are never ever
deleted and there is no limit on the number or size of unarchived WAL files.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/
2:5005/49@fidonet

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Leandro Bugalho
Дата:
Hi guys, I have a PostgreSQL 9.5 server, which started showing the
following message in the log:

,ERROR,54000,"multixact ""members"" limit exceeded","This command
would create a multixact with 2 members, but the remaining space is
only enough for 0 members.","Run a database-wide VACUUM in database
with OID 139059 with reduced vacuum_multixact_freeze_min_age and
vacuum_multixact_freeze_table_age settings.",,,"SQL statement ""SELECT
1 FROM ONLY ""public"".""alf_server"" x WHERE ""id""
OPERATOR(pg_catalog.=) $1 FOR KEY SHARE OF x""","insert into

I started the vacuum in the database , but the same for the size ,I
believe it will take a long time. Is there any way to increase this
limit member while the vacuum is running to free up the application?

thanks a lot,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 6:30 AM Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:

> Ron wrote:

> > > That's actually great that unarchived WAL files will never get
> > > deleted or reused. Thank you for confirming this.
> >
> > How are you going to prevent the disk from filling up?
>
> Someone will eventually set archive_command to something useful before
> the disk is full. Or Postgress will stop. It does not matter for the
> current question.
>
> I just want to make sure that unarchived WAL files are never ever
> deleted and there is no limit on the number or size of unarchived WAL files.
>
> --
> Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
> http://vas.tomsk.ru/
> 2:5005/49@fidonet

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Saturday, September 10, 2022, Leandro Bugalho <leandrohb@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys, I have a PostgreSQL 9.5 server, which started showing the
following message in the log:

Go start a new thread instead of adding unrelated content to existing threads.

David J.

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Friday, September 9, 2022, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:

I just want to make sure that unarchived WAL files are never ever
deleted and there is no limit on the number or size of unarchived WAL files.

The docs clearly answer this IMO:

If archive_command is an empty string (the default) while archive_mode is enabled, WAL archiving is temporarily disabled, but the server continues to accumulate WAL segment files in the expectation that a command will soon be provided.

Though I suppose I would argue to either remove the word temporarily or describe under what conditions, besides putting in a non-empty string, would re-enable it.  Additionally, change disabled to suspended since that doesn’t contravene the behavior of an enabled archive mode to never remove WAL without a successful execution of a non-empty archive_command.

David J.

Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

От
Leandro Bugalho