Обсуждение: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
Simon Connah
Дата:
I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well, it does hide some of the server-side stuff and
configuration.

What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too complex.

Thank you.
Вложения

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
Gerald Cheves
Дата:
On 10/16/2022 12:23 PM, Simon Connah wrote:
> I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well, it does hide some of the server-side stuff and
configuration.

> What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too
complex.

> Thank you.

I used a download from Enterprisedb. Make sure you add the location of
the  installation to the PATH because Macs come with a partial
installation of Postgres pre-installed and you want your installation to
be in the path so your shell commands and front-end commands (e.g.,
psql, pgAdmin, LibreOffice, etc.) will work properly.

- G

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
Simon Connah
Дата:
Thanks. I'll look into that.

As for the Docker suggestion, I should probably spend some time learning how to use it correctly, but for the time
being,I'm going down this route while I get everything up and running, and I can worry about Docker later.

Simon.

> On 10/16/2022 12:23 PM, Simon Connah wrote:
>

> > I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well, it does hide some of the server-side stuff and
configuration.

> > What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too
complex.

> > Thank you.
>

> I used a download from Enterprisedb. Make sure you add the location of
> the installation to the PATH because Macs come with a partial
> installation of Postgres pre-installed and you want your installation to
> be in the path so your shell commands and front-end commands (e.g.,
> psql, pgAdmin, LibreOffice, etc.) will work properly.
>

> - G
>

> --
> siamo arrivati sani e salvi

Вложения

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
Alex Theodossis
Дата:
Hi,

Not sure why you want to run the database from a mac? Just being curious

Much better running from a server? You can get a cloud server with your
choice of OS (I suggest Fedora or Arch) from linode for $20/month to do
your testing? It comes with 80GB data storage. If your data needs are
substantial and on prem server with zfs (again arch as the base system)
will be more suitable.

Macs are great (I have been a user for decades), but they 'cripple'
Unix, so you don't get the full advantage.

Alex Theodossis
alex@dossi.info

On 10/16/22 13:39, Gerald Cheves wrote:
> On 10/16/2022 12:23 PM, Simon Connah wrote:
>> I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well,
>> it does hide some of the server-side stuff and configuration.
>>
>> What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the
>> Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too complex.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> I used a download from Enterprisedb. Make sure you add the location of
> the  installation to the PATH because Macs come with a partial
> installation of Postgres pre-installed and you want your installation
> to be in the path so your shell commands and front-end commands (e.g.,
> psql, pgAdmin, LibreOffice, etc.) will work properly.
>
> - G

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
"Jim Chanco Jr."
Дата:
Hi, there.

Also curious to know what your use case might be. If it's just to test things as needed, pgenv is good for that. The tool can be found in git (theory/pgenv).

Kind regards,

Jim

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Alex Theodossis <alex@dossi.info> wrote:
Hi,

Not sure why you want to run the database from a mac? Just being curious

Much better running from a server? You can get a cloud server with your
choice of OS (I suggest Fedora or Arch) from linode for $20/month to do
your testing? It comes with 80GB data storage. If your data needs are
substantial and on prem server with zfs (again arch as the base system)
will be more suitable.

Macs are great (I have been a user for decades), but they 'cripple'
Unix, so you don't get the full advantage.

Alex Theodossis
alex@dossi.info

On 10/16/22 13:39, Gerald Cheves wrote:
> On 10/16/2022 12:23 PM, Simon Connah wrote:
>> I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well,
>> it does hide some of the server-side stuff and configuration.
>>
>> What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the
>> Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too complex.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> I used a download from Enterprisedb. Make sure you add the location of
> the  installation to the PATH because Macs come with a partial
> installation of Postgres pre-installed and you want your installation
> to be in the path so your shell commands and front-end commands (e.g.,
> psql, pgAdmin, LibreOffice, etc.) will work properly.
>
> - G

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
> On Oct 16, 2022, at 11:23 AM, Simon Connah <simon.n.connah@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too
complex.

Hombebrew is a good option. I'm using it in development and production without any problems. I previously used CentOS,
anddon't find the workflow to be much different.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: Just switched to Mac - Postgres.app or Homebrew or some other distribution?

От
Simon Connah
Дата:
> Not sure why you want to run the database from a mac? Just being curious
>

> Much better running from a server? You can get a cloud server with your
> choice of OS (I suggest Fedora or Arch) from linode for $20/month to do
> your testing? It comes with 80GB data storage. If your data needs are
> substantial and on prem server with zfs (again arch as the base system)
> will be more suitable.
>

> Macs are great (I have been a user for decades), but they 'cripple'
> Unix, so you don't get the full advantage.
>

> Alex Theodossis
> alex@dossi.info
>

> On 10/16/22 13:39, Gerald Cheves wrote:
>

> > On 10/16/2022 12:23 PM, Simon Connah wrote:
> >

> > > I've been playing around with Postgres.app, and while it works well,
> > > it does hide some of the server-side stuff and configuration.
> > >

> > > What is the best way to run PostgreSQL on the Mac that mirrors the
> > > Linux workflow? I'm not doing anything too complex.
> > >

> > > Thank you.
> >

> > I used a download from Enterprisedb. Make sure you add the location of
> > the installation to the PATH because Macs come with a partial
> > installation of Postgres pre-installed and you want your installation
> > to be in the path so your shell commands and front-end commands (e.g.,
> > psql, pgAdmin, LibreOffice, etc.) will work properly.
> >

> > - G

Hi,

I'm just doing basic web development. I could use Linode (they already host a couple of blogs for me), but since I'm
stillplaying around with PostgreSQL, I'd rather just do it on my Mac for the time being.
Вложения