Обсуждение: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Dionisis Kontominas
Дата:
Hello all,

    This is my fist email and I ask for leniency on the response. I am quite new to PostgreSQL, and had my first taste of a Windows version. My background is Oracle and I have some questions. I will also post in the admin list.

  1. What is the best Linux server for the PostgresQL in your opinion? Ubuntu Server, Redhat, other?
  2. Is there a low-cost or free low code development tool / framework similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL?
  3. In continuation to the previous question, has anyone attempted to combine Oracle APEX with PostgreSQL using REST, i.e. something like pgREST or similar / alternative and what are the experiences?

Thanks In advance!

Kindest regards,
Dionisis Kontominas

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/21/22 10:13 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>      This is my fist email and I ask for leniency on the response. I am
> quite new to PostgreSQL, and had my first taste of a Windows version. My
> background is Oracle and I have some questions. I will also post in the
> admin list.
>
>  1. What is the best Linux server for the PostgresQL in your opinion?
>     Ubuntu Server, Redhat, other?

The one you have experience managing.

>  2. Is there a low-cost or free low code development tool / framework
>     similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL?

What type of application are you trying to build?

>  3. In continuation to the previous question, has anyone attempted to
>     combine Oracle APEX with PostgreSQL using REST, i.e. something like
>     pgREST or similar / alternative and what are the experiences?

Never worked with APEX, so can't answer.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Dionisis Kontominas
Дата:
Hello Adam,

   Thank you for your response. Regarding the details:

  1. I have no experience managing; I know some basic introductory administrator things. Only point I think is important is to consider a server version of Linux and nt a desktop one, i.e. something like Ubuntu Server or Redhat Server or other.
  2. OLTP applications. Up to 10 - 50 GB database size. The user interface is Web-based, currently using Oracle APEX, Tomcat+ORDS and Oracle Database as a back-end.
Thank you for your time!

Kindest regards,
Dionisis Kontominas

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/21/22 10:25 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
>     Thank you for your response. Regarding the details:
>
>  1. I have no experience managing; I know some basic introductory
>     administrator things. Only point I think is important is to consider
>     a server version of Linux and nt a desktop one, i.e. something like
>     Ubuntu Server or Redhat Server or other.

Folks with more experience using both would have to comment in detail on
that. My comments would be, I have used openSUSE and Ubuntu(Server) for
small installations with no issues either way. I do like the ability to
jump from LTS(Long Term Support) to LTS version in Ubuntu, bypassing all
the intermediate releases.

>  2. OLTP applications. Up to 10 - 50 GB database size. The user
>     interface is Web-based, currently using Oracle APEX, Tomcat+ORDS and
>     Oracle Database as a back-end.

Are you looking to retain the Tomcat+ORDS portion of the stack?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Dionisis Kontominas
Дата:
  1. I assume you used the Ubuntu Server edition, not the desktop one. Is this correct?
  2. It depends on whether you keep the GUI in Oracle APEX. If so then yes, as APEX and tomcat and ORDS are free and need only the basic license for the Oracle DB. Otherwise if a free/low cost low code tool/framework is found then they can be abolished.
Thank you for your response!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/21/22 10:49 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
>  1. I assume you used the Ubuntu Server edition, not the desktop one. Is
>     this correct?

Both. They are variations on a theme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Official_distributions

"Ubuntu has a server edition[113][114] that uses the same APT
repositories as the Ubuntu Desktop Edition. The differences between them
are the absence of an X Window environment in a default installation of
the server edition (although one can easily be installed, including
Unity, GNOME, KDE or Xfce), and some alterations to the installation
process.[115] The server edition uses a screen-mode, character-based
interface for the installation, instead of a graphical installation
process. This enables installation on machines with a serial or "dumb
terminal" interface without graphics support. "

>  2. It depends on whether you keep the GUI in Oracle APEX. If so then
>     yes, as APEX and tomcat and ORDS are free and need only the basic
>     license for the Oracle DB. Otherwise if a free/low cost low code
>     tool/framework is found then they can be abolished.

Alright, that opens it up a bit. Right off the top of my head I can't
come with a replacement.

> Thank you for your response!
>
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 19:36, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 10/21/22 10:25 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
>      > Hello Adam,
>      >
>      >     Thank you for your response. Regarding the details:
>      >
>      >  1. I have no experience managing; I know some basic introductory
>      >     administrator things. Only point I think is important is to
>     consider
>      >     a server version of Linux and nt a desktop one, i.e.
>     something like
>      >     Ubuntu Server or Redhat Server or other.
>
>     Folks with more experience using both would have to comment in
>     detail on
>     that. My comments would be, I have used openSUSE and Ubuntu(Server) for
>     small installations with no issues either way. I do like the ability to
>     jump from LTS(Long Term Support) to LTS version in Ubuntu, bypassing
>     all
>     the intermediate releases.
>
>      >  2. OLTP applications. Up to 10 - 50 GB database size. The user
>      >     interface is Web-based, currently using Oracle APEX,
>     Tomcat+ORDS and
>      >     Oracle Database as a back-end.
>
>     Are you looking to retain the Tomcat+ORDS portion of the stack?
>
>      >
>      > Thank you for your time!
>      > Kindest regards,
>      > Dionisis Kontominas
>      >
>      >

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Ron
Дата:
On 10/21/22 12:13, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
Hello all,

    This is my fist email and I ask for leniency on the response. I am quite new to PostgreSQL, and had my first taste of a Windows version. My background is Oracle and I have some questions. I will also post in the admin list.

  1. What is the best Linux server for the PostgresQL in your opinion? Ubuntu Server, Redhat, other?

Linux is Linux; use whichever distro you are comfortable with (or are told to you).  My only recommendation would be to use the postgresql.org repository, not your distro's stock repository.

Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 1:49 PM Dionisis Kontominas
<dkontominas@gmail.com> wrote:
> It depends on whether you keep the GUI in Oracle APEX. If so then yes, as APEX and tomcat and ORDS are free and need
onlythe basic license for the Oracle DB. Otherwise if a free/low cost low code tool/framework is found then they can be
abolished.

It's been several years since I have looked at APEX, but my
recollection was that it relied heavily on Oracle packages and
functions, and the few attempts I saw towards porting any of that to
Postgres were abandoned pretty quickly. This generally resulted in
most migrations becoming full-on rewrites into a new platform. Once
you've given that up, its most a matter of finding a new platform that
you want to work with... most of the companies I worked with moved to
things like django or rails, but I suspect something like budibase
and/or similar alternatives might be more what you are angling
towards. Hope that helps.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net