From: Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 12:02 PM
Subject: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2
To: <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>

Hi,

 Got below error while configure postgre on AIX 7.2

configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: pthread.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
checking for pthread.h... no
configure: error:
Can i get the binary for postgre for AIX 7.2

Amit

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 1:12 AM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Got below error while configure postgre on AIX 7.2
>
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> checking for pthread.h... no
> configure: error:

Can you share your configure line, postgresql version, compiler and
version, and the configure logs that might have clues to explain
what's wrong?

> Can i get the binary for postgre for AIX 7.2

The only group that was packaging PostgreSQL for AIX (at least as far
as I know from reading these lists) shut the project down last
year[1].  Is anyone else packaging PostgreSQL for AIX?  The PostgreSQL
itself project doesn't do that.

[1] https://github.com/power-devops/bullfreeware

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

Дата:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 1:12 AM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Got below error while configure postgre on AIX 7.2

> Can you share your configure line, postgresql version, compiler and
> version, and the configure logs that might have clues to explain
> what's wrong?

Note that we do have a buildfarm animal that's still successfully
testing on AIX 7.2 [1].  There is a lot of stuff in its configuration
that you wouldn't want to duplicate because it's just for debugging.
The only thing I see in a quick glance that looks like it might affect
"can you get through a bare-bones configure" is

                 'CC' => '/opt/IBM/xlc/16.1.0/bin/xlc_r -D_LARGE_FILES=1',

So if you're trying to use gcc (which is configure's default) you
might have better luck with IBM's compiler.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=hoverfly&dt=2023-03-28%2015%3A31%3A48

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

От
Amit Regmi
Дата:
Hi Thomas,
Thank you so much for your response.
Here is the details
postgresql version : 15.2
Compiler : (gcc (GCC) 4.2.0
Location :  /usr/bin/gcc
configure logs: Please find the attached file
I dont have  binary for postgre for AIX 7.2 . I am using a postgre source file . It would be great if you share me binary for postgre for AIX 7.2

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 2:35 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 1:12 AM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Got below error while configure postgre on AIX 7.2
>
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: pthread.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------------- ##
> checking for pthread.h... no
> configure: error:

Can you share your configure line, postgresql version, compiler and
version, and the configure logs that might have clues to explain
what's wrong?

> Can i get the binary for postgre for AIX 7.2

The only group that was packaging PostgreSQL for AIX (at least as far
as I know from reading these lists) shut the project down last
year[1].  Is anyone else packaging PostgreSQL for AIX?  The PostgreSQL
itself project doesn't do that.

[1] https://github.com/power-devops/bullfreeware
Вложения

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 5:24 PM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the details
> postgresql version : 15.2
> Compiler : (gcc (GCC) 4.2.0
> Location :  /usr/bin/gcc
> configure logs: Please find the attached file
> I dont have  binary for postgre for AIX 7.2 . I am using a postgre source file . It would be great if you share me
binaryfor postgre for AIX 7.2

Sorry, no AIX or ability to publish binaries here, but I can offer a
clue.  Your log shows:

/usr/include/sys/time.h:110: error: redefinition of 'struct sigset_t'

Googling that brings me to this claim that ancient GCC has that
problem with the AIX headers:

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/power/discussion/gcc-struct-sigset-t-conflicts-with-aix-systimeh

We do test on AIX, but that's a newer GCC:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=sungazer&dt=2023-03-27%2020%3A55%3A32&stg=configure

Can you get a modern GCC, or find a workaround, or check if you have 72TL5?

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

От
Amit Regmi
Дата:
Hi Thomas,
Since i am new this this AIX world .Could you suggest me the latest GCC supported for AIX 7.2 along with its dependencies.
newer GCC:
Version ???

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 11:18 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 5:24 PM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the details
> postgresql version : 15.2
> Compiler : (gcc (GCC) 4.2.0
> Location :  /usr/bin/gcc
> configure logs: Please find the attached file
> I dont have  binary for postgre for AIX 7.2 . I am using a postgre source file . It would be great if you share me binary for postgre for AIX 7.2

Sorry, no AIX or ability to publish binaries here, but I can offer a
clue.  Your log shows:

/usr/include/sys/time.h:110: error: redefinition of 'struct sigset_t'

Googling that brings me to this claim that ancient GCC has that
problem with the AIX headers:

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/power/discussion/gcc-struct-sigset-t-conflicts-with-aix-systimeh

We do test on AIX, but that's a newer GCC:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=sungazer&dt=2023-03-27%2020%3A55%3A32&stg=configure

Can you get a modern GCC, or find a workaround, or check if you have 72TL5?

Re: NEED RPM FILE OF LATEST POSTGRE supported for AIX 7.2

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 8:16 PM Amit Regmi <amitregmi111@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since i am new this this AIX world .Could you suggest me the latest GCC supported for AIX 7.2 along with its
dependencies.
> newer GCC:
> Version ???

Sorry I don't know anything about software distribution on AIX.
Apparently GCC 10 is available in an RPM here?

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/aix-toolbox-open-source-software-downloads-alpha

Ahh, they also have packages for PostgreSQL 11.18.  11.x is in its
last year of support (by us), so maybe try to contact the maintainers
and see what their major version upgrade plan is?  It looks like they
are tracking our minor (bug fix) releases, but with a few months of
lag, but they still don't have our 12-15 releases that are 1-4 years
old now.  Have they just not got around to it yet, or is this their
way of dropping PostgreSQL?  Did they stop packaging PostgreSQL
because the [defunct] ATOS freeware project was doing them, i.e. did
those packages 'move' there, and then die?

There may be other packaging projects out there... if so I haven't
heard of them myself (but that's not saying much, I'm not an active
AIX guy, I just retain a weird curiosity about those systems having
used very large AIX systems a decade or so ago, which already felt
like it was the end of times for proprietary Unix... but, man, those
things had a *lot* of CPUs).

The ATOS project was tracking newer releases IIRC, and I was aware of
that because one or two of the maintainers would come onto the
pgsql-hackers mailing list occasionally to discuss patches to fix
silly scalability problems on that platform that require small amounts
of special API adjustments (mainly huge pages, maybe also pollset vs
poll, patches I've written 'blind' before but couldn't find anyone
interested in testing).  I personally take the absence of anyone
interested in easy-to-fix problems like that, and the lack of
packaging, as a clue that there are by now no serious users of
PostgreSQL on AIX...  But I could be guessing wrong?

Out of curiosity, are you trying to set up a database server, or just
connect with client libraries/tools?  If the latter, from what
language?