Обсуждение: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Dippu Kumar
Дата:
Dear Support Team,
I'm facing an issue while upgrading PostgreSQL from version 13.6 to 15.3.
Here are steps I'm following:
- I hosted my existing PostgreSQL 13.6 instance on AWS (Ubuntu)
- I create an instance using AMIs ( same image of hosted instance )
- I run the below command after a few steps , I face initdb issue
sudo apt install postgresql
I need your help here.

sudo pg_createcluster 15 main --start

Creating new PostgreSQL cluster 15/main ...

/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/15/main --auth-local peer --auth-host scram-sha-256 --no-instructions

/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded

Error: initdb failed

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 5:07 AM Dippu Kumar <dippu.k@deeplynx.com> wrote:
Dear Support Team,
- I run the below command after a few steps , I face initdb issue
sudo apt install postgresql

sudo pg_createcluster 15 main --start

Creating new PostgreSQL cluster 15/main ...

/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/15/main --auth-local peer --auth-host scram-sha-256 --no-instructions

/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded

Error: initdb failed

I can't reproduce this.  What release of Ubuntu are you using? (Maybe what specific API?) What machine type? What repository are you installing from?  (I don't think any Ubuntu is coming with PostgreSQL v15 right now by default from the default repo).  Do you have to have already installed v13 first before you get this problem?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

Дата:
> On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 5:07 AM Dippu Kumar <dippu.k@deeplynx.com> wrote:
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/15/main
>> --auth-local peer --auth-host scram-sha-256 --no-instructions
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: symbol lookup error:
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded

> I can't reproduce this.

This is pretty clearly a case of the initdb executable binding to
an old copy of libpq.so.  You could find out which one by running
"ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb".  Then, update that
installation to something released in the last two years.  Or
perhaps better, fix your dynamic linker search path so that it
finds the libpq.so that came with your v15 Postgres installation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Dippu Kumar
Дата:
Hello Tom Lane,
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.
I don't know why I couldn't make it well. I got tired after doing many approaches.
I tried 3 approaches for this :
Approach 1 :
I tried with a new instance installed postgresql version 13 then created some test DB, and inserts a few data into a table. Then update version 15, I can see all data - Succeed
Approach 2 :
I tried with a new instance installed postgresql version 13 then created an Image of this instance and launched a new instance using this image (AMIs).
Then update version 15, I can see all data of version 13 - Succeed
Approach 3 :
    I launch a new instance using the latest image of our postgresql instance. Then update version 15, it shows error - Failed
    => Reasons or error :
    /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/pg_upgrade: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/pg_upgrade: undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded

      - Always get PQmblenBounded error whenever I try to execute postgresql binary.
Information:
    - I'm using Postgresql 13.6 which is hosted on Ubuntu ( 18.04.6 LTS, Codename : bionic)
    - DB Data is more than 650 GB so I can't go with pgdump option
You suggested that I fix a dynamic linker but I always get some errors and finally I am stuck in a loop of these solutions.
If I try to fix one another problem come up.
Please suggest steps to complete this task.I'm writing to you as a last option, I stopped searching on google.

Thanks & Regards
Dippu

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 5:20 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 5:07 AM Dippu Kumar <dippu.k@deeplynx.com> wrote:
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/15/main
>> --auth-local peer --auth-host scram-sha-256 --no-instructions
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: symbol lookup error:
>> /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb: undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded

> I can't reproduce this.

This is pretty clearly a case of the initdb executable binding to
an old copy of libpq.so.  You could find out which one by running
"ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb".  Then, update that
installation to something released in the last two years.  Or
perhaps better, fix your dynamic linker search path so that it
finds the libpq.so that came with your v15 Postgres installation.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-May-19, Dippu Kumar wrote:

> You suggested that I fix a dynamic linker but I always get some errors and
> finally I am stuck in a loop of these solutions.

What did you try to fix the dynamic linker?  Since you mentioned Ubuntu,
maybe look at /etc/ld.so.conf.d.  Also: maybe show the output of `ldd
/path/to/initdb` (for all versions of initdb).

"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale
under the pale moon (Sandman)

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Dippu Kumar
Дата:
Thank you for your response!
I've attached what you asked for.PFA.
I tried every possible way but couldn't make it.
Whatever I do it's always pointing me to 'undefined symbol: PQmblenBounded'. So it's kind of loop of problems where I stucked.

--
Álvaro Herrera               48°01'N 7°57'E  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale
under the pale moon (Sandman)
Вложения

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-May-23, Dippu Kumar wrote:

> =>>ldd for initdb
> ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb
>     linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffe52231000)
>     libpq.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpq.so.5 (0x00007fddbb92d000)

Please run

dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpq.so.5
apt policy libpq5

and paste the output of both commands.

"Cuando mañana llegue pelearemos segun lo que mañana exija" (Mowgli)

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Dippu Kumar
Here are:
=>>
dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpq.so.5
libpq5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpq.so.5

=>>
apt policy libpq5
libpq5:
  Installed: 2:13.10-1.bionic
  Candidate: 2:13.10-1.bionic
  Version table:
 *** 2:13.10-1.bionic 500
        500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:13.9-1.bionic 500
        500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2:13.8-3.bionic 500
        500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2:13.7-3.bionic 500
        500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2:13.6-3.bionic 500
        500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
     15.3-1.pgdg18.04+1 500
        500 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt bionic-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
     10.23-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 500
        500 http://ap-southeast-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 Packages
     10.22-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 500
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 Packages
     10.3-1 500
        500 http://ap-southeast-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages

Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Cuando mañana llegue pelearemos segun lo que mañana exija" (Mowgli)

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-May-23, Dippu Kumar wrote:

> apt policy libpq5
> libpq5:
>   Installed: 2:13.10-1.bionic
>   Candidate: 2:13.10-1.bionic
>   Version table:
>  *** 2:13.10-1.bionic 500
>         500 http://repo.percona.com/ppg-13/apt bionic/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So you seem to have a Percona repository enabled, and the libpq5 package
comes from there.  You need to ask Percona about this, not the Postgres
community -- or maybe get rid of the Percona repo completely, as it is
clearly breaking your system.

Also, maybe upgrade from Bionic.

"The important things in the world are problems with society that we don't
understand at all. The machines will become more complicated but they won't
be more complicated than the societies that run them."    (Freeman Dyson)

Re: Need Support to Upgrade from 13.6 to 15.3

От
Dippu Kumar
Дата:
I really appreciate your help!
Please provide me with steps to do this.
Will it impact my existing data (+ 650 GB) and compatibility?