Обсуждение: Linux in-place upgrade

Linux in-place upgrade

От
Murthy Nunna

We are planning an in-place upgrade of Linux level from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 or RHEL 9. We have several PG clusters running on this server using different versions of postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14).

We have couple of plans:

  1. Shutdown clusters, unmount disks that contain postgres data and wals, upgrade Linux, remount postgres disks and restart postgres clusters
  2. Same as above but reinstall postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14) before restarting postgres clusters

Questions:

  1. Will 1 or 2 or both above work?
  2. Is there any official documentation above OS upgrades?

Thank you for reading my post.

Re: Linux in-place upgrade

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2023-06-26 at 17:13 +0000, Murthy Nunna wrote:
> We are planning an in-place upgrade of Linux level from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 or RHEL 9.
> We have several PG clusters running on this server using different versions of postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14).
>
> We have couple of plans:
>
>    1. Shutdown clusters, unmount disks that contain postgres data and wals, upgrade Linux,
>       remount postgres disks and restart postgres clusters
>    2. Same as above but reinstall postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14) before restarting postgres clusters
>
> Questions:
>    1. Will 1 or 2 or both above work?
>    2. Is there any official documentation above OS upgrades?

The documentation is here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

It depends on how you installed PostgreSQL.  If you used binary packages, Option 1 should work fine.

Don't forget to reindex all indexes on strings!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

RE: Linux in-place upgrade

От
Murthy Nunna
Дата:
Laurenz -

Thanks for responding. The URL posted is taking me to "19.6. Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster"... Is there another one
thatis meant for OS upgrades. We do not want to upgrade postgres, we just want to upgrade OS only.

Thanks again.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.postgresql.org_docs_current_upgrading.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=0wrsmPzpZSao0v32yCcG2Q&m=dr5mJ5o4-e7RnK5eDhw_s3KXv0QZoDPYsOKPbwrSJET4XBmkr-T3qhnUQCGc_gUS&s=3WcKsIB6Ua9jg6c7THIRy-bJ2ZwZuE4MGlUHtxM-ybs&e=

It depends on how you installed PostgreSQL.  If you used binary packages, Option 1 should work fine.

Don't forget to reindex all indexes on strings!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Linux in-place upgrade

От
Jim Mlodgenski

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Mon, 2023-06-26 at 17:13 +0000, Murthy Nunna wrote:
> We are planning an in-place upgrade of Linux level from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 or RHEL 9.
> We have several PG clusters running on this server using different versions of postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14).
>
> We have couple of plans:
>
>    1. Shutdown clusters, unmount disks that contain postgres data and wals, upgrade Linux,
>       remount postgres disks and restart postgres clusters
>    2. Same as above but reinstall postgres (pg12, pg13 and pg14) before restarting postgres clusters
>
> Questions:
>    1. Will 1 or 2 or both above work?
>    2. Is there any official documentation above OS upgrades?

The documentation is here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

It depends on how you installed PostgreSQL.  If you used binary packages, Option 1 should work fine.

Don't forget to reindex all indexes on strings!

It could be more than just indexes. If there are any partitioned tables with a partition key of a string, it
could be impacted too. There is a video from the recent PGCon about the collation changes that

Re: Linux in-place upgrade

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2023-06-26 at 18:22 +0000, Murthy Nunna wrote:
> The URL posted is taking me to "19.6. Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster"...

Right, my mistake.

Collation changes are the only thing you have to watch out for.
So rebuild indexes on strings (and, as Jim wrote, assess your partitioned tables).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe