Обсуждение: Upgrading

Upgrading

От
Amn Ojee Uw
Дата:
Just a quick question.

On my Debian 12, I installed PostgreSQL-12, I'd like to upgrade to the
latest release of PostgreSQL. So, my question is, what is the best way
to upgrade to the next release of PostgreSQL?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading

От
"Wen Yi"
Дата:
You can see this document.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgupgrade.html

Yours,
Wen Yi
---Original---
From: "Amn Ojee Uw"<amnojeeuw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 30, 2023 19:54 PM
To: "pgsql-general"<pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>;
Subject: Upgrading

Just a quick question.

On my Debian 12, I installed PostgreSQL-12, I'd like to upgrade to the
latest release of PostgreSQL. So, my question is, what is the best way
to upgrade to the next release of PostgreSQL?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading

От
Ron
Дата:
On 7/30/23 06:53, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
Just a quick question.

On my Debian 12, I installed PostgreSQL-12, I'd like to upgrade to the latest release of PostgreSQL. So, my question is, what is the best way to upgrade to the next release of PostgreSQL?

To the latest release of v12 (which is 12.15), or the latest major version (v15, at release 15.3)?

"Upgrade" has a specific meaning in PostgreSQL: to migrate from a prior major (like 12) version to a newer major (like 15) version.

Is that what you mean?

Or did you mean to update from an older release of v12 (for example 12.11) to the latest release (12.15)?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Re: Upgrading

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2023-07-30 07:53:54 -0400, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
> On my Debian 12, I installed PostgreSQL-12,

Where did you install that from?

AFAICS, Debian 12 comes with PostgreSQL 15.

> I'd like to upgrade to the latest release of PostgreSQL. So, my
> question is, what is the best way to upgrade to the next release of
> PostgreSQL?

If you stay with the same source, Just installing the new version and
then invoking pg_upgrade (or a variant - PGDG, Debian, Ubuntu have
pg_upgradecluster) should do the trick.

If you switch sources, the setup may be sufficiently different that
pg_dump/pg_restore may be the easiest way.

        hp

|_|_) |                    |

Re: Upgrading

От
Amn Ojee Uw

Thank you Ron and Peter for taking the time to respond to my call for help.

In summery, I'd like to use PostgreSQL-15.

However, since my Debian 12 already has already PostgreSQL-15 installed, did I inadvertently overwrote PostgreSQL-15 when I installed PostgreSQL-12? If so, how do I remove PostgreSQL-12 and continue on with PostgreSQL-15.

Please note that I installed using the following command

sudo apt-get -y install postgresql-12

Thanks in advance.

On 2023-07-30 07:53:54 -0400, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
On my Debian 12, I installed PostgreSQL-12,
Where did you install that from?

AFAICS, Debian 12 comes with PostgreSQL 15.

I'd like to upgrade to the latest release of PostgreSQL. So, my
question is, what is the best way to upgrade to the next release of
PostgreSQL?
If you stay with the same source, Just installing the new version and
then invoking pg_upgrade (or a variant - PGDG, Debian, Ubuntu have
pg_upgradecluster) should do the trick.

If you switch sources, the setup may be sufficiently different that
pg_dump/pg_restore may be the easiest way.
        hp

Re: Upgrading

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 7/30/23 19:22, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
> Thank you Ron and Peter for taking the time to respond to my call for help.
>
> In summery, I'd like to use PostgreSQL-15.
>
> However, since my Debian 12 already has already PostgreSQL-15 installed,
> did I inadvertently overwrote PostgreSQL-15 when I installed
> PostgreSQL-12? If so, how do I remove PostgreSQL-12 and continue on with
> PostgreSQL-15.

Short answer

1) No you just created a new cluster. See result of:

pg_lsclusters

2) This assumes you don't have any valuable data in cluster. To remove
first confirm cluster name below(main) with above command then:

pg_dropcluster 12 main

Longer answer read:

https://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql

and for more in depth explanation two blogs I recently posted:

https://aklaver.org/wordpress/2023/06/29/postgres-debian-ubuntu-packagingpart-1/

https://aklaver.org/wordpress/2023/07/01/postgres-debian-ubuntu-packagingpart-2/

--
Adrian Klaver