Обсуждение: Database log in

Database log in

От
"Heckler, Kim M"

All,

I am experiencing intermitently, slow, log in times.  My connection scenario:

  1. Kube pod is hosted in Ohio, in AWS account A.
  2. Using psql, a log in attempt is initiated from the pod.
  3. RDS Postgres Instance is hosted in Ohio, in account B.    host has 8 vCPU and 32 GB of RAM.  CPU and IO are not a bottle neck.
  4. We experience intermittent log in slowness.

My questions are around what happens at log in time; what are the sequence of events?  Also, how much “stress” does log in have to the DBMS?  How many concurrent logins can the DBMS handle in a short time frame?  Can 40 sessions be initiated within 90 seconds?  60 seconds?

Please, I would appreciate debugging suggestions.

Thank you in advance, Kim.

Database log in

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2024, Heckler, Kim M <kim.heckler@nationwide.com> wrote:

My questions are around what happens at log in time; what are the sequence of events?  Also, how much “stress” does log in have to the DBMS?

A decent amount.

 How many concurrent logins can the DBMS handle in a short time frame?  Can 40 sessions be initiated within 90 seconds?  60 seconds?

It depends.

Please, I would appreciate debugging suggestions.

Don’t? At this point you’ve probably hit the point where connection pools are the best way forward.  Especially since 8 is much less than 40.

David J.

Re: Database log in

От
MichaelDBA
Дата:
I don't have a problem with hundreds or thousands of logins per minute on RDS or bare metal, even with only 8 CPUs and 32GB RAM.  There is something else in play here...

David G. Johnston wrote on 1/24/2024 4:34 PM:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2024, Heckler, Kim M <kim.heckler@nationwide.com> wrote:

My questions are around what happens at log in time; what are the sequence of events?  Also, how much “stress” does log in have to the DBMS?

A decent amount.

 How many concurrent logins can the DBMS handle in a short time frame?  Can 40 sessions be initiated within 90 seconds?  60 seconds?

It depends.

Please, I would appreciate debugging suggestions.

Don’t? At this point you’ve probably hit the point where connection pools are the best way forward.  Especially since 8 is much less than 40.

David J.

Re: Database log in

Дата:
MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA@sqlexec.com> writes:
> I don't have a problem with hundreds or thousands of logins per minute
> on RDS or bare metal, even with only 8 CPUs and 32GB RAM.  There is
> something else in play here...

Yeah.  The OP didn't mention the authentication method in use, but
I could believe some sort of performance glitch if it consults an
external server (for Kerberos, AD, LDAP, etc).  Or maybe it's
basically a network problem between client and server.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Database log in

От
"Heckler, Kim M"
Дата:
>> MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA@sqlexec.com> writes:
>> > I don't have a problem with hundreds or thousands of logins per minute
>> > on RDS or bare metal, even with only 8 CPUs and 32GB RAM.  There is
>> > something else in play here...
>>
>> Yeah.  The OP didn't mention the authentication method in use, but I could believe some sort of
>> performance glitch if it consults an external server (for Kerberos, AD, LDAP, etc).
>> Or maybe it's basically a network problem between client and server.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

Auth method is local password.  The AWS RDS Instance does have Kerberos enable so there is ONE role
that authenticates via AD.  I was thinking, maybe, that the local ID was mistakenly trying to authenticate
via AD, failing, and then authenticating locally??  I do have a ticket open with AWS to inquire about this.
Also, I will use strace to gather more info.

Thank you, Kim.