Обсуждение: Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

От
David Gauthier
Дата:
Is there a document which makes recommendations on sizing data buffer cache, tuning options which evict old/unused data in mem, and cache fragmentation avoidance for a v15.3 DB ?

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 14:39 -0500, David Gauthier wrote:
> Is there a document which makes recommendations on sizing data buffer cache,
> tuning options which evict old/unused data in mem, and cache fragmentation
> avoidance for a v15.3 DB ?

Start with "shared_buffers" sized as a quarter of the available RAM and
define enough huge pages on the Linux kernel to fit shared buffers.

There are no tuning options for evicting buffers, and there cannot be any
fragmentation.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Jan 29, 2024, at 11:39, David Gauthier <dfgpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a document which makes recommendations on sizing data buffer cache, tuning options which evict old/unused
datain mem, and cache fragmentation avoidance for a v15.3 DB ?

On any modern system, set shared_buffers to 25% of instance RAM, and get on with life.

I realize that seems glib, but small variations in shared_buffers make almost no significant difference in performance.
There are unusual workloads (like very high insert rate with few queries) that require different settings, but for most
typicalELTP or data warehouse workloads, that is sufficient.

Re: Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 01:46:30PM -0800, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> > On Jan 29, 2024, at 11:39, David Gauthier <dfgpostgres@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Is there a document which makes recommendations on sizing data
> > buffer cache, tuning options which evict old/unused data in mem, and
> > cache fragmentation avoidance for a v15.3 DB ?
>
> On any modern system, set shared_buffers to 25% of instance RAM, and
> get on with life.
>
> I realize that seems glib, but small variations in shared_buffers make
> almost no significant difference in performance.  There are unusual
> workloads (like very high insert rate with few queries) that require
> different settings, but for most typical ELTP or data warehouse
> workloads, that is sufficient.

This blog entry might explain why Postgres requires less tuning of
shared buffers than other database systems:

        https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#December_7_2018