Обсуждение: Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Greg Sabino Mullane
Дата:
Someone on -general was asking about this, as they are listening on multiple IPs and would like to know which exact one clients were hitting. I took a quick look and we already have that information, so I grabbed some stuff from inet_server_addr and added it as part of a "%L" (for 'local interface'). Quick patch / POC attached.

Cheers,
Greg

Вложения

Re: Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Cary Huang
Дата:
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

Hi

I did a quick test on this patch and it seems to work as expected. Originally I thought the patch would add the name of
"localinterface" such as "eth0", "eth1", "lo"... etc as %L log prefix format. Instead, it formats the local interface
IPaddresses , but I think it is fine too.

I have tested this new addition with various types of IPs including IPv4, IPv4 and IPv6 local loop back addresses,
globalIPv6 address, linked local IPv6 address with interface specifier, it seems to format these IPs correctly

There is a comment in the patch that states:

/* We do not need clean_ipv6_addr here: just report verbatim */

I am not quite sure what it means, but I am guessing it means that the patch does not need to format the IPv6 addresses
inany specific way. For example, removing leading zeros or compressing consecutive zeros to make a IPv6 address
shorter.It may not be necessary to indicate this in a comment because In my test, if any of my interface's IPv6 address
haveconsecutive zeroes like this: 2000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:200:cafe/64, my network driver (Ubuntu 18.04) will
formatit as 2000::200:cafe, and the patch of course will read it as 2000::200:cafe, which is ... correct and clean.

thank you
Cary Huang
www.highgo.ca

Re: Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Greg Sabino Mullane
Дата:
Thank you for taking the time to review this. I've attached a new rebased version, which has no significant changes.

There is a comment in the patch that states:

/* We do not need clean_ipv6_addr here: just report verbatim */

I am not quite sure what it means, but I am guessing it means that the patch does not need to format the IPv6 addresses in any specific way.

Yes, basically correct. There is a kluge (their word, not mine) in utils/adt/network.c to strip the zone - see the comment for the  clean_ipv6_addr() function in that file. I added the patch comment in case some future person wonders why we don't "clean up" the ipv6 address, like other places in the code base do. We don't need to pass it back to anything else, so we can simply output the correct version, zone and all.

Cheers,
Greg

Вложения

Re: Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 06.03.24 16:59, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Someone on -general was asking about this, as they are listening on
> multiple IPs and would like to know which exact one clients were
> hitting. I took a quick look and we already have that information, so I
> grabbed some stuff from inet_server_addr and added it as part of a "%L"
> (for 'local interface'). Quick patch / POC attached.

I was confused by this patch title.  This feature does not log the
interface (like "eth0" or "lo"), but the local address.  Please adjust
the terminology.

I noticed that for Unix-domain socket connections, %r and %h write
"[local]".  I think that should be done for this new placeholder as well.

Re: Logging which interface was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 01.05.24 19:04, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to review this. I've attached a new
> rebased version, which has no significant changes.
>
>     There is a comment in the patch that states:
>
>     /* We do not need clean_ipv6_addr here: just report verbatim */
>
>     I am not quite sure what it means, but I am guessing it means that
>     the patch does not need to format the IPv6 addresses in any specific
>     way.
>

> Yes, basically correct. There is a kluge (their word, not mine) in
> utils/adt/network.c to strip the zone - see the comment for the
> clean_ipv6_addr() function in that file. I added the patch comment in
> case some future person wonders why we don't "clean up" the ipv6
> address, like other places in the code base do. We don't need to pass it
> back to anything else, so we can simply output the correct version, zone
> and all.

clean_ipv6_addr() needs to be called before trying to convert a string
representation into inet/cidr types.  This is not what is happening
here.  So the comment is not applicable.

Re: Logging which local address was connected to in log_line_prefix

От
Greg Sabino Mullane
Дата:
Peter, thank you for the feedback. Attached is a new patch with "address" rather than "interface", plus a new default of "local" if there is no address. I also removed the questionable comment, and updated the commitfest title.

Cheers,
Greg

Вложения