Обсуждение: Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

От
Xing Guo
Дата:
Hi hackers,

When the PostgreSQL server is configured with --with-llvm, the pgxs.mk
framework will generate LLVM bitcode for extensions automatically.
Sometimes, I don't want to generate bitcode for some extensions. I can
turn off this feature by specifying with_llvm=0 in the make command.

```
make with_llvm=0
```

Would it be possible to add a new switch in the pgxs.mk framework to
allow users to disable this feature? E.g., the Makefile looks like:

```
WITH_LLVM=no
PG_CONFIG = pg_config
PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
```

Best Regards,
Xing

Re: Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 12 Mar 2024, at 14:38, Xing Guo <higuoxing@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to add a new switch in the pgxs.mk framework to
> allow users to disable this feature?

Something like that doesn't seem unreasonable I think.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

От
Xing Guo
Дата:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 10:40 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> > On 12 Mar 2024, at 14:38, Xing Guo <higuoxing@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to add a new switch in the pgxs.mk framework to
> > allow users to disable this feature?
>
> Something like that doesn't seem unreasonable I think.

Thanks.

I added a new option NO_LLVM_BITCODE to pgxs. I'm not sure if the name
is appropriate.

> --
> Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения

Re: Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 12.03.24 14:38, Xing Guo wrote:
> When the PostgreSQL server is configured with --with-llvm, the pgxs.mk
> framework will generate LLVM bitcode for extensions automatically.
> Sometimes, I don't want to generate bitcode for some extensions. I can
> turn off this feature by specifying with_llvm=0 in the make command.
>
> ```
> make with_llvm=0
> ```
>
> Would it be possible to add a new switch in the pgxs.mk framework to
> allow users to disable this feature? E.g., the Makefile looks like:
>
> ```
> WITH_LLVM=no
> PG_CONFIG = pg_config
> PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
> ```

Can't you just put the very same with_llvm=0 into the makefile?

Re: Disable LLVM bitcode generation with pgxs.mk framework.

От
Xing Guo
Дата:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>
> On 12.03.24 14:38, Xing Guo wrote:
> > When the PostgreSQL server is configured with --with-llvm, the pgxs.mk
> > framework will generate LLVM bitcode for extensions automatically.
> > Sometimes, I don't want to generate bitcode for some extensions. I can
> > turn off this feature by specifying with_llvm=0 in the make command.
> >
> > ```
> > make with_llvm=0
> > ```
> >
> > Would it be possible to add a new switch in the pgxs.mk framework to
> > allow users to disable this feature? E.g., the Makefile looks like:
> >
> > ```
> > WITH_LLVM=no
> > PG_CONFIG = pg_config
> > PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
> > ```
>
> Can't you just put the very same with_llvm=0 into the makefile?

Ah, you're right. I can set it by overriding that variable.

```
override with_llvm=no
```