Обсуждение: meson vs tarballs

meson vs tarballs

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
I and several colleagues have just been trying to build from a tarball
with meson.

`meson setup build .` results in this:

[...]

Message: checking for file conflicts between source and build directory

meson.build:2963:2: ERROR: Problem encountered:
****
Non-clean source code directory detected.

To build with meson the source tree may not have an in-place, ./configure
style, build configured. You can have both meson and ./configure style
builds
for the same source tree by building out-of-source / VPATH with
configure. Alternatively use a separate check out for meson based builds.

Conflicting files in source directory:

[huge list of files]

The conflicting files need to be removed, either by removing the files
listed
above, or by running configure and then make maintainer-clean.

****

That seems pretty awful and unfriendly and I didn't see anything about
it in the docs.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: meson vs tarballs

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 13.03.24 07:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I and several colleagues have just been trying to build from a tarball
> with meson.

> That seems pretty awful and unfriendly and I didn't see anything about
> it in the docs.

At https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/install-requirements.html is says:

"""
Alternatively, PostgreSQL can be built using Meson. This is currently
experimental and only works when building from a Git checkout (not from
a distribution tarball).
"""

Re: meson vs tarballs

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 2024-03-13 We 02:22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 13.03.24 07:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I and several colleagues have just been trying to build from a
>> tarball with meson.
>
>> That seems pretty awful and unfriendly and I didn't see anything
>> about it in the docs.
>
> At https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/install-requirements.html is says:
>
> """
> Alternatively, PostgreSQL can be built using Meson. This is currently
> experimental and only works when building from a Git checkout (not
> from a distribution tarball).
> """

Ah!. Darn, I missed that. Thanks.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: meson vs tarballs

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 2024-03-13 We 02:31, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2024-03-13 We 02:22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 13.03.24 07:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> I and several colleagues have just been trying to build from a
>>> tarball with meson.
>>
>>> That seems pretty awful and unfriendly and I didn't see anything
>>> about it in the docs.
>>
>> At https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/install-requirements.html is says:
>>
>> """
>> Alternatively, PostgreSQL can be built using Meson. This is currently
>> experimental and only works when building from a Git checkout (not
>> from a distribution tarball).
>> """
>>

> Ah!. Darn, I missed that. Thanks.

Of course, when release 17 comes out this had better not be the case,
since we have removed the custom Windows build system.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: meson vs tarballs

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 13.03.24 07:42, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2024-03-13 We 02:31, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> At https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/install-requirements.html is says:
>>>
>>> """
>>> Alternatively, PostgreSQL can be built using Meson. This is currently
>>> experimental and only works when building from a Git checkout (not
>>> from a distribution tarball).
>>> """
>>
>> Ah!. Darn, I missed that. Thanks.

> Of course, when release 17 comes out this had better not be the case,
> since we have removed the custom Windows build system.

Yes, this has been changed in 17.

Re: meson vs tarballs

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:

>> Ah!. Darn, I missed that. Thanks.
>> Of course, when release 17 comes out this had better not be the case,
>> since we have removed the custom Windows build system.

> Yes, this has been changed in 17.

My understanding is that pretty soon there will be no difference,
ie distribution tarballs will have the same contents as a git pull
(less the .git infrastructure).  If we're planning on making that
happen for 17, perhaps we'd better get on with it.

            regards, tom lane