Обсуждение: Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM Amit Kapila <akapila@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.
>
> This commit adds a new property called last_inactive_time for slots. It is
> set to 0 whenever a slot is made active/acquired and set to the current
> timestamp whenever the slot is inactive/released or restored from the disk.
> Note that we don't set the last_inactive_time for the slots currently being
> synced from the primary to the standby because such slots are typically
> inactive as decoding is not allowed on those.

So the field name is last_inactive_time, but if I'm reading this
description right, it's actually the last time the slot was active,
except for the weird exception for slots being synced. I'm wondering
if this field needs to be renamed.

And I'm suspicious that having an exception for slots being synced is
a bad idea. That makes too much of a judgement about how the user will
use this field. It's usually better to just expose the data, and if
the user needs helps to make sense of that data, then give them that
help separately. In this case, that would mean removing the exception,
but making it easy to tell the difference between slots are inactive
because they're being synced and slots that are inactive for some
other reason.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 6:57 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM Amit Kapila <akapila@postgresql.org> wrote:
> > Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.
> >
> > This commit adds a new property called last_inactive_time for slots. It is
> > set to 0 whenever a slot is made active/acquired and set to the current
> > timestamp whenever the slot is inactive/released or restored from the disk.
> > Note that we don't set the last_inactive_time for the slots currently being
> > synced from the primary to the standby because such slots are typically
> > inactive as decoding is not allowed on those.
>
> So the field name is last_inactive_time, but if I'm reading this
> description right, it's actually the last time the slot was active,
> except for the weird exception for slots being synced. I'm wondering
> if this field needs to be renamed.

We considered the other two names as last_inactive_at and
last_active_time. For the first (last_inactive_at), there was an
argument that most other fields that display time ends with _time. For
the second (last_active_time), there was an argument that it could be
misleading as one could think that it should be updated each time WAL
record decoding is happening [1]. The other possibility is to name it
last_used_time but I think it won't be much different from
last_active_time.

> And I'm suspicious that having an exception for slots being synced is
> a bad idea. That makes too much of a judgement about how the user will
> use this field. It's usually better to just expose the data, and if
> the user needs helps to make sense of that data, then give them that
> help separately.

The reason we didn't set this for sync slots is that they won't be
usable (one can't use them to decode WAL) unless standby is promoted
[2]. But I see your point as well. So, I have copied the others
involved in this discussion to see what they think.

> In this case, that would mean removing the exception,
> but making it easy to tell the difference between slots are inactive
> because they're being synced and slots that are inactive for some
> other reason.

I think this can be differentiated with the help of 'synced' column in
pg_replication_slots.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Zf1yx9QMbhgJ/Lfy%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uBGv85dFiWMnNLm6NuEs3eTVicsJCyRvMGbR8H%2BfOVBnA%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 10:02 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> We considered the other two names as last_inactive_at and
> last_active_time. For the first (last_inactive_at), there was an
> argument that most other fields that display time ends with _time. For
> the second (last_active_time), there was an argument that it could be
> misleading as one could think that it should be updated each time WAL
> record decoding is happening [1]. The other possibility is to name it
> last_used_time but I think it won't be much different from
> last_active_time.

I don't understand the bit about updating it each time WAL record
decoding is happening. If it's the last active time, and the slot is
currently active, then the answer is either "right now" or "currently
undefined." I'd expect to see NULL in the system view in such a case.
And if that's so, then there's nothing to update each time a record is
decoded, because it's just still going to show NULL.

Why does this field get set to the current time when the slot is
restored from disk?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 7:51 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 10:02 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We considered the other two names as last_inactive_at and
> > last_active_time. For the first (last_inactive_at), there was an
> > argument that most other fields that display time ends with _time. For
> > the second (last_active_time), there was an argument that it could be
> > misleading as one could think that it should be updated each time WAL
> > record decoding is happening [1]. The other possibility is to name it
> > last_used_time but I think it won't be much different from
> > last_active_time.
>
> I don't understand the bit about updating it each time WAL record
> decoding is happening. If it's the last active time, and the slot is
> currently active, then the answer is either "right now" or "currently
> undefined." I'd expect to see NULL in the system view in such a case.
> And if that's so, then there's nothing to update each time a record is
> decoded, because it's just still going to show NULL.

IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
happen.

> Why does this field get set to the current time when the slot is
> restored from disk?

It is because we don't want to include the time the server is down in
the last_inactive_time. Say, if we are shutting down the server at
time X and the server remains down for another two hours, we don't
want to include those two hours as the slot inactive time. The related
theory is that this field will be used to invalidate inactive slots
based on a threshold (say inactive_timeout). Say, before the shutdown,
we release the slot and set the current_time for last_inactive_time
for each slot and persist that information as well. Now, if the server
is down for a long time, we may invalidate the slots as soon as the
server comes up. So, instead, we just set this field at the time we
read slots for disk and then reset it to 0/NULL as soon as the slot
became active.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 08:38:16PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 7:51 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 10:02 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We considered the other two names as last_inactive_at and
> > > last_active_time. For the first (last_inactive_at), there was an
> > > argument that most other fields that display time ends with _time. For
> > > the second (last_active_time), there was an argument that it could be
> > > misleading as one could think that it should be updated each time WAL
> > > record decoding is happening [1]. The other possibility is to name it
> > > last_used_time but I think it won't be much different from
> > > last_active_time.
> >
> > I don't understand the bit about updating it each time WAL record
> > decoding is happening. If it's the last active time, and the slot is
> > currently active, then the answer is either "right now" or "currently
> > undefined." I'd expect to see NULL in the system view in such a case.
> > And if that's so, then there's nothing to update each time a record is
> > decoded, because it's just still going to show NULL.
> >

> IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
> as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
> not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
> answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
> happen.

Yeah, and so would be the confusion: why is last_active_time NULL while one is
using the slot?

> > Why does this field get set to the current time when the slot is
> > restored from disk?
> >

> It is because we don't want to include the time the server is down in
> the last_inactive_time. Say, if we are shutting down the server at
> time X and the server remains down for another two hours, we don't
> want to include those two hours as the slot inactive time. The related
> theory is that this field will be used to invalidate inactive slots
> based on a threshold (say inactive_timeout). Say, before the shutdown,
> we release the slot and set the current_time for last_inactive_time
> for each slot and persist that information as well. Now, if the server
> is down for a long time, we may invalidate the slots as soon as the
> server comes up. So, instead, we just set this field at the time we
> read slots for disk and then reset it to 0/NULL as soon as the slot
> became active.

Right, and we also want to invalidate the slot if not used duration > timeout,
so that setting the field to zero when the slot is restored from disk is also not
an option.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 8:46 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 08:38:16PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > I don't understand the bit about updating it each time WAL record
> > > decoding is happening. If it's the last active time, and the slot is
> > > currently active, then the answer is either "right now" or "currently
> > > undefined." I'd expect to see NULL in the system view in such a case.
> > > And if that's so, then there's nothing to update each time a record is
> > > decoded, because it's just still going to show NULL.
> > >

> > IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
> > as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
> > not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
> > answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
> > happen.
>
> Yeah, and so would be the confusion: why is last_active_time NULL while one is
> using the slot?

It is because we set it to zero when we acquire the slot and that
value will remain the same till the slot is active. I am not sure if I
understood your question so what I am saying might not make sense.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 08:59:55PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 8:46 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
> > > as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
> > > not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
> > > answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
> > > happen.
> >
> > Yeah, and so would be the confusion: why is last_active_time NULL while one is
> > using the slot?
> >

> It is because we set it to zero when we acquire the slot and that
> value will remain the same till the slot is active. I am not sure if I
> understood your question so what I am saying might not make sense.

There is no "real" question, I was just highlighting the confusion in case we
name the field "last_active_time".

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 11:16 AM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
> > as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
> > not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
> > answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
> > happen.
>
> Yeah, and so would be the confusion: why is last_active_time NULL while one is
> using the slot?

I agree that users could get confused here, but the solution to that
shouldn't be to give the field a name that is the opposite of what it
actually does. I expect a field called last_inactive_time to tell me
the last time that the slot was inactive. Here, it tells me the last
time that a currently-inactive slot previously *WAS* active. How can
you justify calling that the last *INACTIVE* time?

AFAICS, the user who has the confusion that you mention here is simply
wrong. If they are looking at a field called "last active time" and
the slot is active, then the correct answer is "right now" or
"undefined" and that is what they will see. Sure, they might not
understand that. But flipping the name of the field on its head cannot
be the right way to help them.

With the current naming, I expect to have the exact opposite confusion
as your hypothetical confused user. I'm going to be looking at a slot
that's currently inactive, and it's going to tell me that the
last_inactive_time was at some time in the past. And I'm going to say
"what the heck is going on here, the slot is inactive *right now*!"

Half of me wonders whether we should avoid this whole problem by
renaming it to something like last_state_change or
last_state_change_time, or maybe just state_change like we do in
pg_stat_activity, and making it mean the last time the slot flipped
between active and inactive in either direction. I'm not sure if this
is better, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, the current
situation is terrible.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 11:49:00AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 11:16 AM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > IIUC, Bertrand's point was that users can interpret last_active_time
> > > as a value that gets updated each time they decode a change which is
> > > not what we are doing. So, this can confuse users. Your expectation of
> > > answer (NULL) when the slot is active is correct and that is what will
> > > happen.
> >
> > Yeah, and so would be the confusion: why is last_active_time NULL while one is
> > using the slot?
>
> I agree that users could get confused here, but the solution to that
> shouldn't be to give the field a name that is the opposite of what it
> actually does. I expect a field called last_inactive_time to tell me
> the last time that the slot was inactive. Here, it tells me the last
> time that a currently-inactive slot previously *WAS* active. How can
> you justify calling that the last *INACTIVE* time?
>
> AFAICS, the user who has the confusion that you mention here is simply
> wrong. If they are looking at a field called "last active time" and
> the slot is active, then the correct answer is "right now" or
> "undefined" and that is what they will see. Sure, they might not
> understand that. But flipping the name of the field on its head cannot
> be the right way to help them.
>
> With the current naming, I expect to have the exact opposite confusion
> as your hypothetical confused user. I'm going to be looking at a slot
> that's currently inactive, and it's going to tell me that the
> last_inactive_time was at some time in the past. And I'm going to say
> "what the heck is going on here, the slot is inactive *right now*!"
>
> Half of me wonders whether we should avoid this whole problem by
> renaming it to something like last_state_change or
> last_state_change_time, or maybe just state_change like we do in
> pg_stat_activity, and making it mean the last time the slot flipped
> between active and inactive in either direction. I'm not sure if this
> is better, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, the current
> situation is terrible.

Now that I read your arguments I think that last_<active|inactive>_time could be
both missleading because at the end they rely on users "expectation".

Would "released_time" sounds better? (at the end this is exactly what it does
represent unless for the case where it is restored from disk for which the meaning
would still makes sense to me though). It seems to me that released_time does not
lead to any expectation then removing any confusion.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 07:32:11PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 6:57 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And I'm suspicious that having an exception for slots being synced is
> > a bad idea. That makes too much of a judgement about how the user will
> > use this field. It's usually better to just expose the data, and if
> > the user needs helps to make sense of that data, then give them that
> > help separately.
>
> The reason we didn't set this for sync slots is that they won't be
> usable (one can't use them to decode WAL) unless standby is promoted
> [2]. But I see your point as well. So, I have copied the others
> involved in this discussion to see what they think.

Yeah I also see Robert's point. If we also sync the "last inactive time" field then
we would need to take care of the corner case mentioned by Shveta in [1] during
promotion.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uCLu%2BmqAwAMum%3DpXE9YYsy0BE7hOSw_Wno5vjwpFY%3D63g%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:12 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I read your arguments I think that last_<active|inactive>_time could be
> both missleading because at the end they rely on users "expectation".

Well, the user is always going to expect *something* -- that's just
how language works.

> Would "released_time" sounds better? (at the end this is exactly what it does
> represent unless for the case where it is restored from disk for which the meaning
> would still makes sense to me though). It seems to me that released_time does not
> lead to any expectation then removing any confusion.

Yeah, that's not bad. I mean, I don't agree that released_time doesn't
lead to any expectation, but what it leads me to expect is that you're
going to tell me the time at which the slot was released. So if it's
currently active, then I see NULL, because it's not released; but if
it's inactive, then I see the time at which it became so.

In the same vein, I think deactivated_at or inactive_since might be
good names to consider. I think they get at the same thing as
released_time, but they avoid introducing a completely new word
(release, as opposed to active/inactive).

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:25:37PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:12 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would "released_time" sounds better? (at the end this is exactly what it does
> > represent unless for the case where it is restored from disk for which the meaning
> > would still makes sense to me though). It seems to me that released_time does not
> > lead to any expectation then removing any confusion.
>
> Yeah, that's not bad. I mean, I don't agree that released_time doesn't
> lead to any expectation,
> but what it leads me to expect is that you're
> going to tell me the time at which the slot was released. So if it's
> currently active, then I see NULL, because it's not released; but if
> it's inactive, then I see the time at which it became so.
>
> In the same vein, I think deactivated_at or inactive_since might be
> good names to consider. I think they get at the same thing as
> released_time, but they avoid introducing a completely new word
> (release, as opposed to active/inactive).

Yeah, I'd vote for inactive_since then.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Nathan Bossart
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 04:49:12PM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:25:37PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> In the same vein, I think deactivated_at or inactive_since might be
>> good names to consider. I think they get at the same thing as
>> released_time, but they avoid introducing a completely new word
>> (release, as opposed to active/inactive).
>
> Yeah, I'd vote for inactive_since then.

Having only skimmed some of the related discussions, I'm inclined to agree
that inactive_since provides the clearest description for the column.

--
Nathan Bossart

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:30 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 04:49:12PM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:25:37PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> In the same vein, I think deactivated_at or inactive_since might be
> >> good names to consider. I think they get at the same thing as
> >> released_time, but they avoid introducing a completely new word
> >> (release, as opposed to active/inactive).
> >
> > Yeah, I'd vote for inactive_since then.
>
> Having only skimmed some of the related discussions, I'm inclined to agree
> that inactive_since provides the clearest description for the column.

I think we all have some agreement on inactive_since. So, I'm
attaching the patch for that change.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 9:55 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:12 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would "released_time" sounds better? (at the end this is exactly what it does
> > represent unless for the case where it is restored from disk for which the meaning
> > would still makes sense to me though). It seems to me that released_time does not
> > lead to any expectation then removing any confusion.
>
> Yeah, that's not bad. I mean, I don't agree that released_time doesn't
> lead to any expectation, but what it leads me to expect is that you're
> going to tell me the time at which the slot was released. So if it's
> currently active, then I see NULL, because it's not released; but if
> it's inactive, then I see the time at which it became so.
>
> In the same vein, I think deactivated_at or inactive_since might be
> good names to consider. I think they get at the same thing as
> released_time, but they avoid introducing a completely new word
> (release, as opposed to active/inactive).

We have a consensus on inactive_since, so I'll make that change. I
would also like to solicit your opinion on the other slot-level
parameter we are planning to introduce.  This new slot-level parameter
will be named as inactive_timeout. This will indicate that once the
slot is inactive for the inactive_timeout period, we will invalidate
the slot. We are also discussing to have this parameter
(inactive_timeout) as GUC [1]. We can have this new parameter both at
the slot level and as well as a GUC, or just one of those.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240325195443.GA2923888%40nathanxps13

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
shveta malik
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 9:54 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 07:32:11PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 6:57 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > And I'm suspicious that having an exception for slots being synced is
> > > a bad idea. That makes too much of a judgement about how the user will
> > > use this field. It's usually better to just expose the data, and if
> > > the user needs helps to make sense of that data, then give them that
> > > help separately.
> >
> > The reason we didn't set this for sync slots is that they won't be
> > usable (one can't use them to decode WAL) unless standby is promoted
> > [2]. But I see your point as well. So, I have copied the others
> > involved in this discussion to see what they think.
>
> Yeah I also see Robert's point. If we also sync the "last inactive time" field then
> we would need to take care of the corner case mentioned by Shveta in [1] during
> promotion.

I have suggested one potential solution for that in [1]. Please have a look.

[1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uB-yE%2BRiw7JQ4hW0%2BigJxvPc%2Brq%2B9c7WyTa1Jz7%2B2gAiA%40mail.gmail.com

thanks
Shveta

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
shveta malik
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:50 AM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:30 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, I'd vote for inactive_since then.
> >
> > Having only skimmed some of the related discussions, I'm inclined to agree
> > that inactive_since provides the clearest description for the column.
>
> I think we all have some agreement on inactive_since. So, I'm
> attaching the patch for that change.

pg_proc.dat needs to be changed to refer to 'inactive_since' instead
of 'last_inactive_time' in the attached patch.

thanks
Shveta

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 9:38 AM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 9:54 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > The reason we didn't set this for sync slots is that they won't be
> > > usable (one can't use them to decode WAL) unless standby is promoted
> > > [2]. But I see your point as well. So, I have copied the others
> > > involved in this discussion to see what they think.
> >
> > Yeah I also see Robert's point. If we also sync the "last inactive time" field then
> > we would need to take care of the corner case mentioned by Shveta in [1] during
> > promotion.
>
> I have suggested one potential solution for that in [1]. Please have a look.
>
> [1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uB-yE%2BRiw7JQ4hW0%2BigJxvPc%2Brq%2B9c7WyTa1Jz7%2B2gAiA%40mail.gmail.com

I posted the v21 patch implementing the above idea in the other thread
- https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACXRFx9g7A9RFJZF7eBe%3Dzxk7%3DapMRFuCgJJKYB7O%3Dvgwg%40mail.gmail.com.
For ease, I'm also attaching the patch in here.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:

> We have a consensus on inactive_since, so I'll make that change.

Sounds reasonable.  So this is a timestamptz if the slot is inactive,
NULL if active, right?  What value is it going to have for sync slots?

> I would also like to solicit your opinion on the other slot-level
> parameter we are planning to introduce.  This new slot-level parameter
> will be named as inactive_timeout.

Maybe inactivity_timeout?

> This will indicate that once the slot is inactive for the
> inactive_timeout period, we will invalidate the slot. We are also
> discussing to have this parameter (inactive_timeout) as GUC [1]. We
> can have this new parameter both at the slot level and as well as a
> GUC, or just one of those.

replication_slot_inactivity_timeout?

Tom: There seems to be something broken here.
Teodor: I'm in sackcloth and ashes...  Fixed.
                               http://postgr.es/m/482D1632.8010507@sigaev.ru

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:09 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > We have a consensus on inactive_since, so I'll make that change.
>
> Sounds reasonable.  So this is a timestamptz if the slot is inactive,
> NULL if active, right?

Yes.

>  What value is it going to have for sync slots?

The behavior will be the same for non-sync slots. In each sync cycle,
we acquire/release the sync slots. So at the time of release,
inactive_since will be updated. See email [1].

> > I would also like to solicit your opinion on the other slot-level
> > parameter we are planning to introduce.  This new slot-level parameter
> > will be named as inactive_timeout.
>
> Maybe inactivity_timeout?
>
> > This will indicate that once the slot is inactive for the
> > inactive_timeout period, we will invalidate the slot. We are also
> > discussing to have this parameter (inactive_timeout) as GUC [1]. We
> > can have this new parameter both at the slot level and as well as a
> > GUC, or just one of those.
>
> replication_slot_inactivity_timeout?

So, it seems you are okay to have this parameter both at slot level
and as a GUC. About names, let us see what others think.

Thanks for the input on the names.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1KrPGwfZV9LYGidjxHeW%2BrxJ%3DE2ThjXvwRGLO%3DiLNuo%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:09 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > > I would also like to solicit your opinion on the other slot-level
> > > parameter we are planning to introduce.  This new slot-level parameter
> > > will be named as inactive_timeout.
> >
> > Maybe inactivity_timeout?
> >
> > > This will indicate that once the slot is inactive for the
> > > inactive_timeout period, we will invalidate the slot. We are also
> > > discussing to have this parameter (inactive_timeout) as GUC [1]. We
> > > can have this new parameter both at the slot level and as well as a
> > > GUC, or just one of those.
> >
> > replication_slot_inactivity_timeout?
>
> So, it seems you are okay to have this parameter both at slot level
> and as a GUC.

Well, I think a GUC is good to have regardless of the slot parameter,
because the GUC can be used as an instance-wide protection against going
out of disk space because of broken replication.  However, now that I
think about it, I'm not really sure about invalidating a slot based on
time rather on disk space, for which we already have a parameter; what's
your rationale for that?  The passage of time is not a very good
measure, really, because the amount of WAL being protected has wildly
varying production rate across time.

I can only see a timeout being useful as a parameter if its default
value is not the special disable value; say, the default timeout is 3
days (to be more precise -- the period from Friday to Monday, that is,
between DBA leaving the office one week until discovering a problem when
he returns early next week).  This way we have a built-in mechanism that
invalidates slots regardless of how big the WAL partition is.

I'm less sure about the slot parameter; in what situation do you need to
extend the life of one individual slot further than the life of all the
other slots?  (Of course, it makes no sense to set the per-slot param to
a shorter period than the GUC: invalidating one slot ahead of the others
is completely pointless.)

Bob [Floyd] used to say that he was planning to get a Ph.D. by the "green
stamp method," namely by saving envelopes addressed to him as 'Dr. Floyd'.
After collecting 500 such letters, he mused, a university somewhere in
Arizona would probably grant him a degree.              (Don Knuth)

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 01:45:23PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 1:09 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:
> >
> > > We have a consensus on inactive_since, so I'll make that change.
> >
> > Sounds reasonable.  So this is a timestamptz if the slot is inactive,
> > NULL if active, right?
> >

> Yes.
>
> >  What value is it going to have for sync slots?
> >

> The behavior will be the same for non-sync slots. In each sync cycle,
> we acquire/release the sync slots. So at the time of release,
> inactive_since will be updated. See email [1].

I don't think we should set inactive_since to the current time at each sync cycle,
see [1] as to why. What do you think?

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ZgKGIDC5lttWTdJH%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 2:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Maybe inactivity_timeout?

> > > replication_slot_inactivity_timeout?
> >
> > So, it seems you are okay to have this parameter both at slot level
> > and as a GUC.
>
> Well, I think a GUC is good to have regardless of the slot parameter,
> because the GUC can be used as an instance-wide protection against going
> out of disk space because of broken replication.  However, now that I
> think about it, I'm not really sure about invalidating a slot based on
> time rather on disk space, for which we already have a parameter; what's
> your rationale for that?  The passage of time is not a very good
> measure, really, because the amount of WAL being protected has wildly
> varying production rate across time.

The inactive slot not only blocks WAL from being removed but prevents
the vacuum from proceeding. Also, there is a risk of transaction Id
wraparound. See email [1] for more context.

> I can only see a timeout being useful as a parameter if its default
> value is not the special disable value; say, the default timeout is 3
> days (to be more precise -- the period from Friday to Monday, that is,
> between DBA leaving the office one week until discovering a problem when
> he returns early next week).  This way we have a built-in mechanism that
> invalidates slots regardless of how big the WAL partition is.

We can have a default value for this parameter but it has the
potential to break the replication, so not sure what could be a good
default value.

> I'm less sure about the slot parameter; in what situation do you need to
> extend the life of one individual slot further than the life of all the
> other slots?

I was thinking of an idle slot scenario where a slot from one
particular subscriber (or output plugin) is inactive due to some
maintenance activity. But it should be okay to have a GUC for this for
now.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240325195443.GA2923888%40nathanxps13

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Nathan Bossart
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 03:44:29PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 2:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> Well, I think a GUC is good to have regardless of the slot parameter,
>> because the GUC can be used as an instance-wide protection against going
>> out of disk space because of broken replication.  However, now that I
>> think about it, I'm not really sure about invalidating a slot based on
>> time rather on disk space, for which we already have a parameter; what's
>> your rationale for that?  The passage of time is not a very good
>> measure, really, because the amount of WAL being protected has wildly
>> varying production rate across time.
>
> The inactive slot not only blocks WAL from being removed but prevents
> the vacuum from proceeding. Also, there is a risk of transaction Id
> wraparound. See email [1] for more context.

FWIW I'd really prefer to have something like max_slot_xid_age for this.  A
time-based parameter would likely help with most cases, but transaction ID
usage will vary widely from server to server, so it'd be nice to have
something to protect against wraparound more directly.  I don't object to a
time-based setting as well, but that won't always work as well for this
particular use-case, especially if we are relying on users to set a
slot-level parameter.

--
Nathan Bossart

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Mar-26, Nathan Bossart wrote:

> FWIW I'd really prefer to have something like max_slot_xid_age for this.  A
> time-based parameter would likely help with most cases, but transaction ID
> usage will vary widely from server to server, so it'd be nice to have
> something to protect against wraparound more directly.

Yeah, I tend to agree that an XID-based limit makes more sense than a
time-based one.

> I don't object to a
> time-based setting as well, but that won't always work as well for this
> particular use-case, especially if we are relying on users to set a
> slot-level parameter.

I think slot-level parameters are mostly useless, because it takes just
one slot where you forget to set it for disaster to strike.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 04:39:55PM +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-Mar-26, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > I don't object to a
> > time-based setting as well, but that won't always work as well for this
> > particular use-case, especially if we are relying on users to set a
> > slot-level parameter.
>
> I think slot-level parameters are mostly useless, because it takes just
> one slot where you forget to set it for disaster to strike.

I think that's a fair point. So maybe we should focus on having a GUC first and
later on re-think about having (or not) a slot based one (in addition to the GUC).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 9:10 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Mar-26, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>
> > FWIW I'd really prefer to have something like max_slot_xid_age for this.  A
> > time-based parameter would likely help with most cases, but transaction ID
> > usage will vary widely from server to server, so it'd be nice to have
> > something to protect against wraparound more directly.
>
> Yeah, I tend to agree that an XID-based limit makes more sense than a
> time-based one.

So, do we want the time-based parameter or just max_slot_xid_age
considering both will be GUC's? Yes, the xid_age based parameter
sounds to be directly helpful for transaction ID wraparound or dead
row cleanup, OTOH having a lot of inactive slots (which is possible in
use cases where a tool creates a lot of slots and forgets to remove
them, or the tool exits without cleaning up slots (say due to server
shutdown)) also prohibit removing dead space which is not nice either?

The one example that comes to mind is the pg_createsubscriber
(committed for PG17) which creates one slot per database to convert
standby to subscriber, now say it exits due to power shutdown then
there could be a lot of dangling slots on the primary server. Also,
say there is some bug in such a tool that doesn't allow proper cleanup
of slots, the same problem can happen; yeah, this would be a problem
of the tool but I think there is no harm in giving a way to avoid
problems at the server end due to such slots.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 9:10 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2024-Mar-26, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW I'd really prefer to have something like max_slot_xid_age for this.  A
> > > time-based parameter would likely help with most cases, but transaction ID
> > > usage will vary widely from server to server, so it'd be nice to have
> > > something to protect against wraparound more directly.
> >
> > Yeah, I tend to agree that an XID-based limit makes more sense than a
> > time-based one.
> >
> So, do we want the time-based parameter or just max_slot_xid_age
> considering both will be GUC's? Yes, the xid_age based parameter
> sounds to be directly helpful for transaction ID wraparound or dead
> row cleanup, OTOH having a lot of inactive slots (which is possible in
> use cases where a tool creates a lot of slots and forgets to remove
> them, or the tool exits without cleaning up slots (say due to server
> shutdown)) also prohibit removing dead space which is not nice either?

I've personally seen the leftover slots problem on production systems
where a timeout based invalidation mechanism could have been of more
help to save time and reduce manual intervention. Usually, most if not
all, migration/upgrade/other tools create slots, and if at all any
errors occur or the operation gets cancelled midway, there's a chance
that the slots can be leftover if such tools forgets to clean them up
either because there was a bug or for whatever reasons. These are
unintended/ghost slots for the database user unnecessarily holding up
resources such as XIDs, dead rows and WAL; which might lead to XID
wraparound or server crash if unnoticed. Although XID based GUC helps
a lot, why do these unintended and unnoticed slots need to hold up the
resources even before the XID age of say 1.5 or 2 billion is reached.

With both GUCs max_slot_xid_age and replication_slot_inactive_timeout
in place, I can set max_slot_xid_age = 1.5 billion or so and also set
replication_slot_inactive_timeout =  2 days or so to make the database
foolproof.

> The one example that comes to mind is the pg_createsubscriber
> (committed for PG17) which creates one slot per database to convert
> standby to subscriber, now say it exits due to power shutdown then
> there could be a lot of dangling slots on the primary server. Also,
> say there is some bug in such a tool that doesn't allow proper cleanup
> of slots, the same problem can happen; yeah, this would be a problem
> of the tool but I think there is no harm in giving a way to avoid
> problems at the server end due to such slots.

Right. I can personally connect to this problem of leftover slots
where manual intervention was needed to drop all such slots which is
time-consuming and painful sometimes.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Bertrand Drouvot
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 12:28:06PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, I tend to agree that an XID-based limit makes more sense than a
> > > time-based one.
> > >
> > So, do we want the time-based parameter or just max_slot_xid_age
> > considering both will be GUC's? Yes, the xid_age based parameter
> > sounds to be directly helpful for transaction ID wraparound or dead
> > row cleanup, OTOH having a lot of inactive slots (which is possible in
> > use cases where a tool creates a lot of slots and forgets to remove
> > them, or the tool exits without cleaning up slots (say due to server
> > shutdown)) also prohibit removing dead space which is not nice either?
>
> I've personally seen the leftover slots problem on production systems
> where a timeout based invalidation mechanism could have been of more
> help to save time and reduce manual intervention. Usually, most if not
> all, migration/upgrade/other tools create slots, and if at all any
> errors occur or the operation gets cancelled midway, there's a chance
> that the slots can be leftover if such tools forgets to clean them up
> either because there was a bug or for whatever reasons. These are
> unintended/ghost slots for the database user unnecessarily holding up
> resources such as XIDs, dead rows and WAL; which might lead to XID
> wraparound or server crash if unnoticed. Although XID based GUC helps
> a lot, why do these unintended and unnoticed slots need to hold up the
> resources even before the XID age of say 1.5 or 2 billion is reached.
>
> With both GUCs max_slot_xid_age and replication_slot_inactive_timeout
> in place, I can set max_slot_xid_age = 1.5 billion or so and also set
> replication_slot_inactive_timeout =  2 days or so to make the database
> foolproof.

Yeah, I think that both makes senses. The reason is that one depends of the
database activity and slot activity (the xid age one) while the other (the
timeout one) depends only of the slot activity.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:13 AM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I think that both makes senses. The reason is that one depends of the
> database activity and slot activity (the xid age one) while the other (the
> timeout one) depends only of the slot activity.

FWIW, I thought the time-based one sounded more useful. I think it
would be poor planning to say "well, if the slot reaches an XID age of
a billion, kill it so we don't wrap around," because while that likely
will prevent me from getting into wraparound trouble, my database is
likely to become horribly bloated long before the cutoff is reached. I
thought it would be easier to reason in terms of time: I don't expect
a slave to ever be down for more than X period of time, say an hour or
whatever, so if it is, forget about it. Or alternatively, I know that
if a slave does go down for more than X period of time, I start to get
bloat, so cut it off at that point and I'll rebuild it later. I feel
like these are things where people's intuition is going to be much
stronger when reckoning in units of wall-clock time, which everyone
deals with every day in one way or another, rather than in XID-based
units that are, at least in my view, just a lot less intuitive.

For a previous example of where an XID threshold turned out not to be
great, see vacuum_defer_cleanup_age, and in particular the commit
message from where it was removed in
1118cd37eb61e6a2428f457a8b2026a7bb3f801a. The case here might not turn
out to be quite comparable for one reason or another, but I do think
that case is a cautionary tale.

I'm sure the world won't end or anything if we end up with both
thresholds, and I may be missing some reason why the XID threshold
would be really great here. I just can't quite see why I'd ever
recommend it to anyone.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Nathan Bossart
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 10:33:28AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> FWIW, I thought the time-based one sounded more useful. I think it
> would be poor planning to say "well, if the slot reaches an XID age of
> a billion, kill it so we don't wrap around," because while that likely
> will prevent me from getting into wraparound trouble, my database is
> likely to become horribly bloated long before the cutoff is reached. I
> thought it would be easier to reason in terms of time: I don't expect
> a slave to ever be down for more than X period of time, say an hour or
> whatever, so if it is, forget about it. Or alternatively, I know that
> if a slave does go down for more than X period of time, I start to get
> bloat, so cut it off at that point and I'll rebuild it later. I feel
> like these are things where people's intuition is going to be much
> stronger when reckoning in units of wall-clock time, which everyone
> deals with every day in one way or another, rather than in XID-based
> units that are, at least in my view, just a lot less intuitive.

I don't disagree with this point in the context of a user who is managing a
single server or just a handful of servers.  They are going to understand
their workload best and can reason about the right value for the timeout.
I think they'd still benefit from having an XID-based setting as a backstop
in case the timeout is still not sufficient to prevent wraparound, but it's
not nearly as important in that case.

IMHO the use-case where this doesn't work so well is when you have many,
many servers to administer (e.g., a cloud provider).  In those cases,
picking a default timeout to try to prevent wraparound is going to be much
less accurate, as any reasonable value you pick is still going to be
insufficient in some cases.  I think the XID-based parameter would be
better here; if the server is at imminent risk of an outage due to
wraparound, invalidating the slots is probably a reasonable course of
action.

--
Nathan Bossart

Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 11:06 AM Nathan Bossart
<nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO the use-case where this doesn't work so well is when you have many,
> many servers to administer (e.g., a cloud provider).  In those cases,
> picking a default timeout to try to prevent wraparound is going to be much
> less accurate, as any reasonable value you pick is still going to be
> insufficient in some cases.  I think the XID-based parameter would be
> better here; if the server is at imminent risk of an outage due to
> wraparound, invalidating the slots is probably a reasonable course of
> action.

Well, I'm certainly willing to believe that your experience with
administering servers in the cloud is superior to mine. I don't really
understand why it makes a difference, though. Whether you have one
server or many, I agree that it is reasonable to invalidate slots when
XID wraparound looms. But also, whether you have one server or many,
by the time wraparound looms, you will typically have crippling bloat
as well. If preventing that bloat isn't important or there are other
defenses against it, then I see the value of the XID-based cutoff as a
backstop. And I will admit that in an on-prem installation, I've
occasionally seen situations where lots of XIDs got burned without
really causing a lot of bloat -- say, because there are heavily
updated staging tables which are periodically truncated, and very
little modification to long-lived data.

I'm not really strongly against having an XID-based threshold if smart
people such as yourself want it. I just think for a lot of users it's
going to be fiddly to get right.