Обсуждение: [MASSMAIL]Two server instances on one server

[MASSMAIL]Two server instances on one server

От
Andreas Wagner
Дата:
Hello everyone,

I consider using two instances of the PG server on one node. The node
has two processors and each processor has 64GB memory assigned to it.
I'd like to
* restrict instance one to processor 0 and its memory and
* instance two to processor 1 and its memory
using numactl (or similar commands regarding cpuset) and partitioning.
I expect >30% speedup on some queries, because collecting data can be
done in parallel.
Some background information on the system: It's a regular 2 Xeon (each
4x2 cores due to hyperthreading) system with a lot of memory. Memory
assigned to the processor can be accessed quickly, memory assigned to
the OTHER processor is slow.
Does anyone here know a way to accomplish that? I think openstreetmap
map of germany (4GB) is a nice opportunity to test performance.

Looking forward to constructive answers
Andreas Wagner

Re: Two server instances on one server

Дата:
Andreas Wagner <thewand@web.de> writes:
> I consider using two instances of the PG server on one node. The node
> has two processors and each processor has 64GB memory assigned to it.
> I'd like to
> * restrict instance one to processor 0 and its memory and
> * instance two to processor 1 and its memory
> using numactl (or similar commands regarding cpuset) and partitioning.

Seems straightforward enough to me, as long as you put the instances
onto distinct port numbers.  Are you encountering problems?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Two server instances on one server

От
Andreas Wagner
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, dem 10.04.2024 um 16:41 -0400 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Andreas Wagner <thewand@web.de> writes:
> > I consider using two instances of the PG server on one node. The
> > node
> > has two processors and each processor has 64GB memory assigned to
> > it.
> > I'd like to
> > * restrict instance one to processor 0 and its memory and
> > * instance two to processor 1 and its memory
> > using numactl (or similar commands regarding cpuset) and
> > partitioning.
>
> Seems straightforward enough to me, as long as you put the instances
> onto distinct port numbers.  Are you encountering problems?

I don't see a way, yet, to put one half of the partitions on on
instance ond the other half to the other, automatically. Replication
seems to be a 1:1 copy and partitioning seems to stick to one instance.

Regards,
Andreas Wagner