Обсуждение: error in trigger creation

error in trigger creation

От
yudhi s
Дата:
Hi All,
We are seeing privilege issues while creating event triggers. It says the user "must be a superuser to create an event trigger".

So my question is , if we have application user as "app_user" which is responsible for creating database objects in schema "app_schema" and also we have all scripts executed in the database through user "app_user" only, then is there any way to grant necessary privilege or to equip the app_user, so that it will be able to assign the privilege, so we will be able to create the event trigger without need to run the event trigger script from super user itself? This will ensure that we do not need "super user" every time, when we want to run scripts to have an event trigger created for our application schema.
Something like "grant create event trigger on schema app_schema to app_user"?
Regards
Yudhi

Re: error in trigger creation

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
so that it will be able to assign the privilege, so we will be able to create the event trigger without need to run the event trigger script from super user itself?

Write a security-definer function owned by superuser and grant app_user permission to execute it.

David J.

Re: error in trigger creation

От
yudhi s
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 1:55 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
so that it will be able to assign the privilege, so we will be able to create the event trigger without need to run the event trigger script from super user itself?

Write a security-definer function owned by superuser and grant app_user permission to execute it.

David J.

Thank You David.

 Are you saying something like below, in which we first create the function from super user and then execute the grant? But doesn't that mean, each time we want to create a new event trigger we have to be again dependent on the "super user" to modify the security definer function?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_event_trigger_func()
  RETURNS void
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
  SECURITY DEFINER
  AS $$
  BEGIN
    EXECUTE 'CREATE EVENT TRIGGER event_trigger_name ON schema_name ...';
  END;
$$;

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION create_event_trigger_func() TO app_user;

Re: error in trigger creation

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 1:55 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
so that it will be able to assign the privilege, so we will be able to create the event trigger without need to run the event trigger script from super user itself?

Write a security-definer function owned by superuser and grant app_user permission to execute it.

David J.

Thank You David.

 Are you saying something like below, in which we first create the function from super user and then execute the grant? But doesn't that mean, each time we want to create a new event trigger we have to be again dependent on the "super user" to modify the security definer function?

Dynamic SQL.  See “execute” in plpgsql.

David J.

Re: error in trigger creation

Дата:
> On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you saying something like below, in which we first create the
>> function from super user and then execute the grant? But doesn't that mean,
>> each time we want to create a new event trigger we have to be again
>> dependent on the "super user" to modify the security definer function?

> Dynamic SQL.  See “execute” in plpgsql.

You might as well just give that user superuser and be done with it.
It's foolish to imagine that you have any shred of security left
if you're letting a user that's not 100.00% trusted write event
triggers.  (Much less execute any SQL command whatsoever, which
is what it sounds like David is suggesting you create a function
to do.)

            regards, tom lane

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 7:55 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Even if we create the  event trigger using "security definer" function embedding the "create event trigger" with in its body using dynamic sql(something as below), and in future if we need to create another event trigger , we need to again update the function and re-compile and for that , we will need it it to be compiled using user "super user", is my understanding correct here?
Or
it will just need the "super user" to create the function for the first time , but after that the user who has the "execute grant" given (say app_user) will be able to perform updates and compile to the function body?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION create_event_trigger_func()
  RETURNS void
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
  SECURITY DEFINER
  AS $$
  BEGIN
    EXECUTE 'CREATE EVENT TRIGGER event_trigger_name ON schema_name ...';
  END;
$$;

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION create_event_trigger_func() TO app_user;

Re: error in trigger creation

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 11:10 AM yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

If you don't allow the caller to pass in parameters then no, you likely gain nothing from using a security definer function.  It is a tool and I don't have enough info or desire to write the internals of said function(s) for your need.  As Tom says, it very well may be impossible to accomplish your goal even with a security definer function.  But absent a predefined role there is no other mechanism for the owners of objects or superusers to delegate their non-grantable abilities to ordinary users.

David J.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 8:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you saying something like below, in which we first create the
>> function from super user and then execute the grant? But doesn't that mean,
>> each time we want to create a new event trigger we have to be again
>> dependent on the "super user" to modify the security definer function?

> Dynamic SQL.  See “execute” in plpgsql.

You might as well just give that user superuser and be done with it.
It's foolish to imagine that you have any shred of security left
if you're letting a user that's not 100.00% trusted write event
triggers.  (Much less execute any SQL command whatsoever, which
is what it sounds like David is suggesting you create a function
to do.)

So do you mean , we should not create the event trigger using the "security definer" , rather have the super user do this each time we have to create the event trigger?

Actually , I am not very much aware about the security part, but is it fine to give the super user privilege to the application user(say app_user) from which normally scripts/procedures get executed by the application, but nobody(individual person) can login using that user.

Additionally in other databases, triggers are driven by some specific privileges (say for example in oracle "create trigger" privilege). And it doesn't need any super user and we were having many applications in which the application user (which were used for app to app login) was having these privileges, similar to "create table" privileges which comes by default to the schema who owns the objects  etc. So in this case i was wondering if "event trigger" can cause any additional threat and thus there is no such privilege like "create trigger" exist in postgres and so it should be treated cautiously?

Re: error in trigger creation

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 11:20 AM yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 8:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Sunday, April 21, 2024, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you saying something like below, in which we first create the
>> function from super user and then execute the grant? But doesn't that mean,
>> each time we want to create a new event trigger we have to be again
>> dependent on the "super user" to modify the security definer function?

> Dynamic SQL.  See “execute” in plpgsql.

You might as well just give that user superuser and be done with it.
It's foolish to imagine that you have any shred of security left
if you're letting a user that's not 100.00% trusted write event
triggers.  (Much less execute any SQL command whatsoever, which
is what it sounds like David is suggesting you create a function
to do.)

So do you mean , we should not create the event trigger using the "security definer" , rather have the super user do this each time we have to create the event trigger?

I suggest you share a script that demonstrates exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  Which event triggers you need to create from the application and what the functions those triggers call do.

Actually , I am not very much aware about the security part, but is it fine to give the super user privilege to the application user(say app_user) from which normally scripts/procedures get executed by the application, but nobody(individual person) can login using that user.

app_user should not be superuser nor own objects in the database.  The role that performs schema migrations for the database should be able to become superuser via set role so when doing migrations if there is a need to do something as superuser it is possible but explicit.

It is during schema migrations that event triggers are expected to be installed, not in response to some user hitting your website and having your middleware execute some SQL while connected as the app_user role.

David J.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:02 AM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

I suggest you share a script that demonstrates exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  Which event triggers you need to create from the application and what the functions those triggers call do.

We are using pg_partman for automatic partition maintenance however as we have foreign keys created on the tables, so the partition drop from parent is taking longer as it scans all the partitions of the child table and also locks the full child table for that duration(even SELECT query not allowed during that period). So we are thinking of creating foreign keys on partitions rather than on tables however there is no direct option for that to happen through pg_partman.

So we are thinking of first creating the table without any foreign keys and creating the partitions using pg_partman, then create the below event trigger which will add the foreign key to the new partitions for all new future partitions. And we are planning to create such an event trigger for all such child tables that are partitioned and having FK's.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION add_partition_foreign_key()
RETURNS event_trigger
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
DECLARE
partition_table TEXT;
parent_table TEXT;
partition_name TEXT;
BEGIN
IF TG_TAG = 'CREATE TABLE' THEN
partition_table := TG_TABLE_NAME;
parent_table := 'parent_table_' || to_char(NEW.partition_key, 'YYYY_MM_DD');

EXECUTE format('ALTER TABLE %I ADD CONSTRAINT fk_%I_%I FOREIGN KEY (partition_key, id) REFERENCES %I (partition_key, id)', partition_table, partition_table, parent_table, parent_table);
END IF;
END;
$$;

CREATE EVENT TRIGGER add_partition_foreign_key_trigger
ON ddl_command_end
WHEN TAG IN ('CREATE TABLE')
EXECUTE FUNCTION add_partition_foreign_key();

Re: error in trigger creation

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:58 PM yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
the partition drop from parent is taking longer as it scans all the partitions of the child table

Does the relevant supporting index exist on the child table?

On Mon, 22 Apr, 2024, 1:34 am Ron Johnson, <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:58 PM yudhi s <learnerdatabase99@gmail.com> wrote:
the partition drop from parent is taking longer as it scans all the partitions of the child table

Does the relevant supporting index exist on the child table?

Yes all the child tables have foreign keys indexed.

 Again I don't want to divert the main topic(trigger creation) . I will provide the exact test case how it puts exclusive lock and runs longer as scans all child partitions (which must be using indexes though) but as the number of partitions increase the time of drop partitions increases.

Re: error in trigger creation

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/21/24 11:20, yudhi s wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 8:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>

> So do you mean , we should not create the event trigger using the
> "security definer" , rather have the super user do this each time we
> have to create the event trigger?
>
> Actually , I am not very much aware about the security part, but is it
> fine to give the super user privilege to the application user(say
> app_user) from which normally scripts/procedures get executed by the
> application, but nobody(individual person) can login using that user.
>
> Additionally in other databases, triggers are driven by some
> specific privileges (say for example in oracle "create trigger"
> privilege). And it doesn't need any super user and we were having many

Which Postgres has

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-priv.html

    TRIGGER

             Allows creation of a trigger on a table, view, etc.

but you are talking about event triggers

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createeventtrigger.html

where

    "Only superusers can create event triggers."

To paraphrase Henry Ford, you can have any user for an event trigger as
long as the user is a superuser.

> applications in which the application user (which were used for app to
> app login) was having these privileges, similar to "create table"
> privileges which comes by default to the schema who owns the objects
> etc. So in this case i was wondering if "event trigger" can cause any
> additional threat and thus there is no such privilege like "create
> trigger" exist in postgres and so it should be treated cautiously?

An event trigger runs as a superuser and executes a function that in
turn can do many things, you do the math on the threat level.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: error in trigger creation

Дата:
> On 4/21/24 11:20, yudhi s wrote:
>> So in this case i was wondering if "event trigger" can cause any
>> additional threat and thus there is no such privilege like "create
>> trigger" exist in postgres and so it should be treated cautiously?

> An event trigger runs as a superuser and executes a function that in
> turn can do many things, you do the math on the threat level.

As a trivial example: an event trigger could prevent the legitimate
superuser(s) from doing anything at all in that database, just by
blocking all their commands.  This might not even require malicious
intent, merely faulty coding --- but the opportunity for malicious
intent is staggeringly large.

            regards, tom lane

Re: error in trigger creation

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/21/24 14:21, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 4/21/24 11:20, yudhi s wrote:
>>> So in this case i was wondering if "event trigger" can cause any
>>> additional threat and thus there is no such privilege like "create
>>> trigger" exist in postgres and so it should be treated cautiously?
>
>> An event trigger runs as a superuser and executes a function that in
>> turn can do many things, you do the math on the threat level.
>
> As a trivial example: an event trigger could prevent the legitimate
> superuser(s) from doing anything at all in that database, just by
> blocking all their commands.  This might not even require malicious
> intent, merely faulty coding --- but the opportunity for malicious
> intent is staggeringly large.

As an FYI to above:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createeventtrigger.html

"Event triggers are disabled in single-user mode (see postgres). If an
erroneous event trigger disables the database so much that you can't
even drop the trigger, restart in single-user mode and you'll be able to
do that."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com